Jags 2 steps closer to London move

Zerovoltz

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Miami should be in the south, Baltimore in the East, and Indy in the North.

Yeah that would work as can easily get flights out of Dulles to London, probably 1 to 1.5 hours less flying time too.  Though could see it being an easier sell for fans from London to book a trip once a year to Miami than DC

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

When you have 50 thousand opposition fans in the NFL's multi billion dollar palace they won't have a choice.

Would the NFL really care as the money is just as good from opposition fans.  The Chargers may care, but could see the other 31 teams saying this is great.  Get the same amount of money and one less game a year in hostile environment.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

You also have to play in the mood of London fans, which is far more anti Jags than the media would like US fans believe 

Not sure what gives you that impression but doesn't match what I see and hear on an almost weekly basis. 

Instead of putting a team in London full time, the NFL should use the proposed 17th game as a Nomad series

Each team gets the traditional 8 home and 8 road games.  But each team also is bound for a 17th game at a non-NFL venue.  London, Berlin, Toronto, Tokyo, Sidney, Mexico City, or even American cities without a team (San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City).

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Instead of putting a team in London full time, the NFL should use the proposed 17th game as a Nomad series

Each team gets the traditional 8 home and 8 road games.  But each team also is bound for a 17th game at a non-NFL venue.  London, Berlin, Toronto, Tokyo, Sidney, Mexico City, or even American cities without a team (San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City).

Thank you for your idea.  The NFL, member teams and the players association is committed to reaching out to our fans across the globe.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

....so the Jags are playing 2 home games in London this year.  It's just the next step in them becoming the "London" Jags permanently. 

The reason why I posted it has more to do with Buffalo than London.  I saw somewhere on the internet that when/if the Jags do make the move permanently, there will be some realignment.  The NFL won't want the London Jags in the AFC south.  They will want them in the AFC east with flights to/from London out of Boston, New York and Miami.  The alignment I saw suggested that the AFC EAST would be :

London

New York

New England

Miami

AFC SOUTH

Tennessee

Houston

Indy

Cincinnatti

AFC NORTH

Pittsburg

Cleveland

Baltimor

BUFFALO.

Would Bills fans accept it?  Would your new and closer division rivals be compelling, or would it be crap that you lose the Patirots/Jets/Dolphins as division rivals?

I can't help but think IF (I said IF...the word IF) IF it came to it....the owners would probably be able to make this happen.  I don't think Mike Brown has any kind of clout to stop it....and would think the if the Pegulas protested, they might not have any allies to prevent this.

Your thoughts?

I've been saying for years the Bills would be a better fit in the AFC North. More natural rivals.

• Like (+1) 1

If they are going to do the realignment by region wouldn’t it make more sense to just move Miami to the South and the Jags to the East?  I mean, do they consider the rivalry between Dolphins/Jets/Pats that much bigger than Bills/Jets/Pats?

10 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

But I do miss the "old days" and our heated rivalry with Miami. Still remember Brian Cox flipping us all off at then named Rich Stadium. But I agree, today we would be better aligned with the AFC Central.

Our rivalry with Miami died with the rise of the Patriots*.  Once the Evil Empire collapses and the AFCE has some kind of balance, the Dolphins and Jets games will be more relevant

On one hand I think the timing would stink as New England seems to be at or close to the end of their dynasty reign, with Buffalo looking like the possible heir apparent.  On the other hand, home games for the Jags in London are not going to be at an hour that I will want to watch in all likelihood.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

It won't be the Jags moving to London. 

It'll be the Chargers. Its the obvious way out their LA mess

You could be right but the complex funding arrangements made to make the massive LA construction cost work, presumed two occupants.  Someone would have to ante up some big money to move the Chargers.  I find it unlikely but the NFL never ceases to amaze me with some of their decisions.

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

With a new bargaining agreement coming soon, I would bet on the Player's Union saying NFW to a team in London or anywhere not in North America.  The travel would be a big negative. 

Any proposed move to London would come well after the CBA was accepted and done.

43 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You could be right but the complex funding arrangements made to make the massive LA construction cost work, presumed two occupants.  Someone would have to ante up some big money to move the Chargers.  I find it unlikely but the NFL never ceases to amaze me with some of their decisions.

What amazing decisions? The owners have long allowed movement of teams over stadium issues.  The Chargers and Raiders (and Rams before them) weren't getting what they wanted from SD and OAK, so the owners began looking elsewhere, as they always do.  Kroenke was already in LA and building a new stadium and the Chargers had no other viable option as Spanos is infinitely cheaper than Stan.  And the LV Raiders may have been an NFL stroke of genius.