Bleacher Report predicts Funchess to Bills

BillsMafi$

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/298850/bills-wrs-might-be-smurfs-but-theres-a-place-for-them-in-nfl%3fplatform=amp

General manager Brandon Beane said his goal was to get Allen and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll "a variety of weapons" this offseason, with an emphasis on "variety."

"You don't want just three or four of the same thing," Beane said. "If you just have a bunch of fast guys who separate, what happens when the weather changes? Sometimes you play in those cold, wet snow games and the separation's not going to happen because the field conditions won't allow it.

"You still need that big target to be able to make plays on third-and-short, or the red zone -- whatever the situation calls for."

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Out of that group, I'd like to see Randall Cobb in a Bills uniform. Sounds like he could be a cap casualty in Dallas, and we've got lots of space. BR predicts he goes to New Orleans, but with their QB situation in limbo, Buffalo sounds like a better destination for him.

I'm sure he'd get over it, but I don't think Beasley would like this signing very much.

Funchess is an easy connection due to McBeane's affinity for signing underachieving ex-Panthers. They didn't want him last year, but that was for $10M. I wouldn't be surprised if this year's price was closer to half of that, though I'd still rather take a shot with Perriman & draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps you can tell us where Beans said he wanted quickness in playmakers.  You're arguing against speculation with speculation.  Just to argue.  

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Did you just say Devin is not a playmaker?

I wouldn't put him in that category.  I think he's a good player.  Wasn't a dig on him.  

25 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I'm sure he'd get over it, but I don't think Beasley would like this signing very much.

I know they're both slot receivers, but Cobb is more versatile and more reliable. He can run deep routes out of the slot, carry the ball on a sweep, and he gets good YAC on short passes.

Sure hope that doesn’t happen, that would be taking a RB with the first pick in the draft bad imo...  can’t see him opposite John Brown as the big upgrade our team needs or expects at WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Perhaps you can tell us where Beans said he wanted quickness in playmakers.  You're arguing against speculation with speculation.  Just to argue.  

I wouldn't put him in that category.  I think he's a good player.  Wasn't a dig on him.  

you should put him in that category.  He’s absolutely a playmaker.  One doesn’t have to be a bell cow elite RB to be a playmaker.  He can make something out of nothing.  Which is being a playmaker 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

you should put him in that category.  He’s absolutely a playmaker.  One doesn’t have to be a bell cow elite RB to be a playmaker.  He can make something out of nothing.  Which is being a playmaker 

I agree with Beane that our offense needs playmakers and when I think of that term - to me it means among the best in the game.  I like Devin and he made some plays but I don't think he's dynamic enough.  

We need some bell cow's somewhere on offense.  I think things like saying Beasley is dangerous - is not understanding what we need.  

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

Dude, I'm not the one who is making a claim that Beane said he wanted speed for Allen.  Nor am I speculating.  You asked what's the difference between speed and quickness, I gave you an answer.

What I've heard Beane say is that he wants to give Allen more "playmakers he can trust" and that, as quoted above, Beane said he wants guys that get separation

Straight-line speed is only one aspect of separation.  Quickness, to get defenders going one way while you go another, and size are two other aspects.  As quoted above,

General manager Brandon Beane said his goal was to get Allen and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll "a variety of weapons" this offseason, with an emphasis on "variety."

"You don't want just three or four of the same thing," Beane said. "If you just have a bunch of fast guys who separate, what happens when the weather changes?"

Singletary is a playmaker.  So is Beasley.  Decent teams have a number of playmakers other than their "top end option"

If you want to define "playmaker" in a limited way as "best in the game" or "top end option", You Do You but realize that's not how many people define it and I don't think it's how Beane, defines it.    We aren't gonna be trying to trade for Michael Thomas or Julio Jones.  I don't even think we're going to be deep in the running for Amari Cooper.  Doesn't mean we won't be bringing in some playmakers with different skill sets than Brown or Beasley or Motor.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d make a run at Robby Anderson.  He has big play ability and think his production was hampered by the Jets QB situation.  I also like that he’s not a primadonna.  Maybe he is too similar to Brown and will cost too much, but I’d be in on that.  

I've admired his play this year, but I'd like a guy with a better career catch %

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...from what I've read, especially here from our TBD collegiate ball experts, this is the deepest WR class "in years".....I believe the Daniel Jeremiah quote was, "could be the fastest WR class in history"........so why not trade down to 27 to pick up an extra 2nd, grabbing a WR with either pick in that round?...with the anticipated depth, I'd guess there would still be some significant value available.........

And what roster spots do we put all these players in.  It’s more likely we trade up.  The only way I see a trade down is if it’s followed by a trade back in or up to the top of the second.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

it’s totally arbitrary nomenclature so I’m not really going to hop in this argument tooooo passionately but I think most people think of playmakers on offense as a guy that can score any time he touches it or on defense a turnover creator or clutch sack artist. 

turning a 2 yard loss into a 4 yard gain is certainly making a play in its own right but I think we are still waiting to see how explosive he can be in the right system with the right support. Beasley though, he’s not that dude unless you count everyone that plays as a playmaker.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've admired his play this year, but I'd like a guy with a better career catch %

honestly the player I’d be all about chasing. The human worries me on this one. I’m ok taking a few risks but he strikes me as one I’d always be expecting issues with.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seems like a prediction they're making based upon the Carolina connection. 

He was available in FA last year and Beane passed.

On a per-game basis, we actually got more production out of Duke Williams than Carolina got out of Funchess in 2018 (in fact, in 3 of his 4 years there). 

How long until the Carolina connection is no longer a thing in the minds of the pundits?