Another Argument for Bills to Not Build a Billion $ Palace in B/Lo

T master

43 minutes ago, Lurker said:

C.  New York State would probably be on the hook for $300-$400 million (ballpark guess), with 70% of that coming from downstate taxpayers--who overwhelmingly fund the bulk of NYS spending.   

Far majority of funding from state is spent downstate.  An example are road projects which were approved and money set aside but constantly blocked by downstate representatives from being worked on.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

A.   It won't be a $1 billion stadium.  Pegs has said as much.   More like $850-$900 million.

B.   Erie County won't pony up 50% (and no other WNY counties would even be involved).    They'd likely contribute maybe $50 million or so, which is pretty consistent with their past stadium investments.  Polencarz has already said the County isn't going to pay for a new stadium.    

C.  New York State would probably be on the hook for $300-$400 million (ballpark guess), with 70% of that coming from downstate taxpayers--who overwhelmingly fund the bulk of NYS spending.   

D.   The Pegula's would maybe chip in $250-$300 million and the NFL stadium fund could be tapped to pay the rest.

I would be surprised if a stadium of that type could be built for 850 billion today.  Also, the "don't worry, rich downstate New Yorkers will pay the bulk of it" sounds nice, but their Assemblymen and Representatives would not likely go  along with this plan on their behalf.  Not that any districts reps should vote for this.  It would force that vast majority of New Yorkers to work for at least some period of time to donate their earned dollars to support a private business that few of them have an interest and that provides no public good in return.

19 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But once the can move Buffalo up to closer to average, they switch their focus to the next lowest revenue team to force them to do more, and then the next, etc. Businesses are always trying to increase their revenue and make more, they don't like doing things for nothing, and if things aren't making money, they cut them out. They won't be happy just letting Buffalo be the lowest revenue team because their fans like it and can't afford more without cutting into their tailgating money. If there's an area that can make more, they will tell the Bills to start making more or they will be out.

You can post this 100 more times---it still won't become less false.

Also, the Bills are making LOTS of money, like nearly every team in the NFL.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Far majority of funding from state is spent downstate.  An example are road projects which were approved and money set aside but constantly blocked by downstate representatives from being worked on.

Well this is wrong.  It is well known that there is a huge net flow of tax dollars Upstate from Downstate.  In 2011, the imbalance was 20 billion paid, 34 billion received.  It's likely grown far more imbalanced as the economy downstate has gone through the roof over the past decade.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

A.   It won't be a $1 billion stadium.  Pegs has said as much.   More like $850-$900 million.

B.   Erie County won't pony up 50% (and no other WNY counties would even be involved).    They'd likely contribute maybe $50 million or so, which is pretty consistent with their past stadium investments.  Polencarz has already said the County isn't going to pay for a new stadium.    

D.   The Pegula's would maybe chip in $250-$300 million and the NFL stadium fund could be tapped to pay the rest.

Delaware North could also chip in some in return for exclusive concession rights. Then there are naming rights fees. Probably some form of ticket buyer surcharge/PSL too.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thanks just wondering ?

For sure

I guess all we have to do is wait ... And it's the hardest part

All I know is that I just want my great grandchildren to see the Buffalo Bills

And why not the UB Bulls playing their 6 home games each year at a new downtown Pegula park? Those frigid Tuesday night MACtion games in November will be a lot more tolerable.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I would attend more UB games if not played at that awful stadium.

Didnt they just pump a bunch of Merchie money into it to make those boxes and stuff though?

Not Murchie but another big donor. (Edw. Gicewicz)  https://ubbulls.com/sports/2019/6/17/premiumseats.aspx

Agree on UB Stadium. It's tolerable in nice weather but utterly brutal in the cold. And the MAC insists on playing those Tuesday and Wednesday games, which is fine  if it gets you national exposure but only 30-40 people actually show up to watch because it's so freaking cold.  I've said (on both UB fan boards) they could just play in the new Murchie Field House and let those 30-40 people stand on the sideline.

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Delaware North could also chip in some in return for exclusive concession rights. Then there are naming rights fees. Probably some form of ticket buyer surcharge/PSL too.

And why not the UB Bulls playing their 6 home games each year at a new downtown Pegula park? Those frigid Tuesday night MACtion games in November will be a lot more tolerable.

They just don't have the fan support ?

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They just don't have the fan support ?

Well how many people do you need? 20K? UB gets that many for September and October home games. That's more than enough to open the Pegula Dome. Do it like the do XFL games and open only the lower decks.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well how many people do you need? 20K? UB gets that many for September and October home games. That's more than enough to open the Pegula Dome. Do it like the do XFL games and open only the lower decks.

They do pull 20 usually earlier in the season but I would guess it's just not an option rn

Unless UB was also throwing a good amount of ? , I don't think Pegula wants to share a field because it's just not a thing most NFL teams do if they don't have too

Edited by Buffalo716

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They do pull 20 usually earlier in the season but I would guess it's just not an option rn

Unless UB was also throwing a good amount of ? , I don't think Pegula wants to share a field because it's just not a thing most NFL teams do if they don't have too

Who knows how the Pegulas think but I would assume adding events to their new venue is something they want to do. There is a question of whether UB football would break even the cost of hosting a game. I think 20K would be enough.

FYI Temple plays in Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. I don't think the Eagles worry about the Owls usurping them in popularity. The Bills would never overtake the Bills either. But adding 6 dates to your calendar might be worth doing.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Who knows how the Pegulas think but I would assume adding events to their new venue is something they want to do. There is a question of whether UB football would break even the cost of hosting a game. I think 20K would be enough.

FYI Temple plays in Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. I don't think the Eagles worry about the Owls usurping them in popularity. The Bills would never overtake the Bills either. But adding 5 dates to your calendar might be worth doing.

I don't think it has to do with UB becoming more popular just logistics and such

Temple has done it since 03 but they also draw 30k a good amount and even 60

If UB can draw 30 consistently it might work

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think it has to do with UB becoming more popular just logistics and such

Temple has done it since 03 but they also draw 30k a good amount and even 60

If UB can draw 30 consistently it might work

Sorry, mate. Temple draws 10K on a nice day. I went to UB/Temple a few years back and it was like pick-your-seat day. But they did serve beer!

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry, mate. Temple draws 10K on a nice day. I went to UB/Temple a few years back and it was like pick-your-seat day. But they did serve beer!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phillyvoice.com/attendance-at-temple-football-home-games-for-the-past-10-years/amp/

That isn't what thks says. Says in 2017 averaged 27 k

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tickets distributed, I bet. This is more my remembrance of an Owls game.

Temple-UCF.jpg

• Like (+1) 1