Another Argument for Bills to Not Build a Billion $ Palace in B/Lo

T master

16 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I keep hearing how revenues will double with a new Stadium but how?  You think it is going be an easy sell for lower bowl tickets to be priced well over $200 in the new stadium.  That maybe the case for a year or two until the novelty wore off.  Like I said, I doubt people would be willing to pay double the price of a ticket just because we have a stadium downtown & I highly doubt corporations around here are going to be willing to pony up double the price for suites.  I just don't see it happening.  I think it is a really flawed way of thinking.  You need to know your market.   

You’re dreaming if you don’t think prices in a renovated stadium will go up substantially, too. 

22 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I keep hearing how revenues will double with a new Stadium but how?  You think it is going be an easy sell for lower bowl tickets to be priced well over $200 in the new stadium.  That maybe the case for a year or two until the novelty wore off.  Like I said, I doubt people would be willing to pay double the price of a ticket just because we have a stadium downtown & I highly doubt corporations around here are going to be willing to pony up double the price for suites.  I just don't see it happening.  I think it is a really flawed way of thinking.  You need to know your market.   

I have a feeling that quite a number of the big spenders will come from outside of Buffalo so access will be important.  Not creating something that will be a turn off to the big money will be important.  OP is a known quantity as far as travel and accommodations go so I don't see much consumer resistance if a new stadium went there.  People here are talking up rail and buses like it will be widely accepted but having your vehicle no more than five minutes away by foot is the WNY that I have always known so that would be important in my mind.

Edited by RochesterRob

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I have a feeling that quite a number of the big spenders will come from outside of Buffalo so access will be important.  Not creating something that will be a turn off to the big money will be important.  OP is a known quantity as far as travel and accommodations go so I don't see much consumer resistance if a new stadium went there.  People here are talking up rail and buses like it will be widely accepted but having your vehicle no more than five minutes away by foot is the WNY that I have always known so that would be important in my mind.

People adapt.... and thankfully, typical Buffalo is dying off.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Gordio said:

They know the market, it's one that financially is not one that can support the current NFL. If Buffalo didn't have the Bills, would anyone seriously believe the NFL would be interested in granting them an expansion team?

If the market cannot support paying average NFL ticket prices, and there's no corporations willing to pay market value prices for boxes/suites, then the area can't support the NFL. It's why they tried to expand the market to play games in Toronto, if Buffalo could get support from Toronto, it could bring in some of the money from there to help out 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

sure---what better way to convince the legislature to fund a big chunk of one waste of taxpayer money when you can combine it with another, bigger waste of tax payer money?  Makes sense!!

Well, if they really need and want both, building both together is going to be alot more affordable then doing them separate and would keep the total cost down on the project. It's easier for everyone to digest spending a $billion if they get a convention centre and stadium, instead of saying $800 million for a stadium and $500 million for a convention centre (and I am just using those numbers as examples, they will most likely be different)

22 minutes ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

People adapt.... and thankfully, typical Buffalo is dying off.

The peasants, yes.  The big spenders who are paying thousands per game not so much.  The NFL is trying to attract the big money and is not concerned about what the serfs might do.  

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The peasants, yes.  The big spenders who are paying thousands per game not so much.  The NFL is trying to attract the big money and is not concerned about what the serfs might do.  

And the BIGGEST spenders are in Southern Ontario.  You spend a BILLION in downtown Buffalo to attract more corporate money - or you stay in Orchard Park and appease the table surfers and ketchup squirters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They know the market, it's one that financially is not one that can support the current NFL. If Buffalo didn't have the Bills, would anyone seriously believe the NFL would be interested in granting them an expansion team?

If the market cannot support paying average NFL ticket prices, and there's no corporations willing to pay market value prices for boxes/suites, then the area can't support the NFL. It's why they tried to expand the market to play games in Toronto, if Buffalo could get support from Toronto, it could bring in some of the money from there to help out 

Well, if they really need and want both, building both together is going to be alot more affordable then doing them separate and would keep the total cost down on the project. It's easier for everyone to digest spending a $billion if they get a convention centre and stadium, instead of saying $800 million for a stadium and $500 million for a convention centre (and I am just using those numbers as examples, they will most likely be different)

The whole idea of a big upgrade for New Era or a new facility is to tap into new revenue streams.  No, you are not going to extract double the seat value drawing from Erie County alone.  The NFL and the Pegula's want to draw from much farther away from places such as Toronto, Rochester, and Syracuse to name a few places and they are targeting the top income brackets in those places.  That is the only way a new 60-65K seat facility is going to work in terms of revenue.

2 minutes ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

And the BIGGEST spenders are in Southern Ontario.  You spend a BILLION in downtown Buffalo to attract more corporate money - or you stay in Orchard Park and appease the table surfers and ketchup squirters.

You talk about a billion dollars as though it was found change in your sofa.  The Pegula's probably could source a billion dollars rather readily over a few months but the NFL wants them to play the ransom game in terms if the public does not want to pay then the team will get moved at some point.  Give me a realistic public financing plan versus saying the Mayor of Buffalo, Erie County Executive, and the Governor of NY GOTTA pony up.

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The whole idea of a big upgrade for New Era or a new facility is to tap into new revenue streams.  No, you are not going to extract double the seat value drawing from Erie County alone.  The NFL and the Pegula's want to draw from much farther away from places such as Toronto, Rochester, and Syracuse to name a few places and they are targeting the top income brackets in those places.  That is the only way a new 60-65K seat facility is going to work in terms of revenue.

What's awesome about the Bills wanting to draw from Rochester is the fact they probably will move training camp as soon as the contract expires smh

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Bills have been successfully tapping into those areas for twenty years. Is there that much more to be tapped, corporate wise, that hasn’t already been? Has that much more new big corporate money moved into those areas? I honestly don’t know. 

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

What's awesome about the Bills wanting to draw from Rochester is the fact they probably will move training camp as soon as the contract expires smh

I don't know what the Pegula's have in mind for a new camp location.  It has been said that the NFL is trending towards having camp at a team's home facility.  That might be more efficient and a better sell to new players who bring family with them to their new NFL city.  Anyways, the Pegula's could bring it back to OP, stay at SJF, go south of Buffalo, go into NF, go across the river into Ontario Province among the possibilities.  Each location has its merits and drawbacks.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The Bills have been successfully tapping into those areas for twenty years. Is there that much more to be tapped, corporate wise, that hasn’t already been? Has that much more new big corporate money moved into those areas? I honestly don’t know. 

It's been said that while Ralph owned the team that the general uncertainty of the team's future was a roadblock in terms of getting a substantial amount of that money to commit.  The mediocre seasons also did not help.  I would guess that most of the tapping for the last 30 years has been into a moderate income level for those areas.  Anyways, I would bet that the Pegula's have researched what is out there yet to be gotten.

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You talk about a billion dollars as though it was found change in your sofa.  The Pegula's probably could source a billion dollars rather readily over a few months but the NFL wants them to play the ransom game in terms if the public does not want to pay then the team will get moved at some point.  Give me a realistic public financing plan versus saying the Mayor of Buffalo, Erie County Executive, and the Governor of NY GOTTA pony up.

Pegula's SHOULD pay for most of the new stadium... 

With that said, look no further from the New York Power Authority - a literal cash cow in our backyard taking in a TON of money. They helped with the build out of Canal Side and they should help secure the future of the Buffalo Bills in our own backyard.

I would even advocate that the Public Bridge Authority should throw in some funds from that cash cow, too.

I also bet you will see other private developers (aka Delaware North who alluded they were conflicted buying the Bills but would be interested in a partnership with a new stadium.)

It's going to take a creative public-private investment to make a reno or new build work.

5 minutes ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

Pegula's SHOULD pay for most of the new stadium... 

With that said, look no further from the New York Power Authority - a literal cash cow in our backyard taking in a TON of money. They helped with the build out of Canal Side and they should help secure the future of the Buffalo Bills in our own backyard.

I would even advocate that the Public Bridge Authority should throw in some funds from that cash cow, too.

I also bet you will see other private developers (aka Delaware North who alluded they were conflicted buying the Bills but would be interested in a partnership with a new stadium.)

It's going to take a creative public-private investment to make a reno or new build work.

Don't know much about either NYPA or the PBA but what kind of money are you talking about and why don't we see talk about this outside of this forum?

1 minute ago, buffalobillsfootball said:

You think the Pegula's are going to announce anything that is half baked?

I'm thinking more along the lines that somebody like the Erie County Exec or leading state senator or power broker regional congress person merely suggesting a dialog take place in terms of exploring what is possible.  Nobody is saying that the Pegula's should spout off without talking to a key player in such a move first.  Heck, the kickoff could come in terms of a column put out by a respected (there's a laugh) member of the area media.  

There can be no significant renovation of the current stadium because it's half-buried in the ground and the foundations are set. They want wider concourses at the 100 level. That will not happen with a renovation. It would cost as much if not more to renovate than build new.  Never mind the ticket pricing issue for a stadium that's basically the same as the old one.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1