Jim Everett said this was real and not fake

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

That was staged 

you can see it by the looks on their faces and how they moved 

It absolutely was not staged. After it happened, Everett's agent was apoplectic to Rome's people, saying "why did you call him Chris?!?! We agreed you wouldn't do that before the show." Rome talks about it from time to time. He calls it the worst day of his career. I know a lot of people here hate him, but the show is just as much about the show itself and the listeners/callers as it is sports. That's why I listen. Same with Dan Patrick.

Why would Everett agree to fake a fight where he comes across as a *****?  What does he gain?  If anything, Everett's pathetic attack on Rome created the Streisand Effect.  Few remember his game.  But it cemented his legacy- Chrissy Everett

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, stuvian said:

Jim Rome is an overhyped blowhard who has become a sad caricature of his former self. It's astonishing to the extent that his career has plummeted after virtually owning the North American sports talk show market. Maybe ESPN can do a 30 for 30 of how he has squandered away his legacy but laughing at his own lame jokes

He is a very wealthy man.

The crappy part is he is a great interviewer.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Why would Everett agree to fake a fight where he comes across as a *****?  What does he gain?  If anything, Everett's pathetic attack on Rome created the Streisand Effect.  Few remember his game.  But it cemented his legacy- Chrissy Everett

He was a really talented QB but he had a rep for playing scared and it was felt that limited his ability to lead/succeed.     It was obviously a lot more violent game for QB's back then.

Guys like Everett and injury prone passers like Chris Chandler and Chris Miller probably would have been studs in the 2010-2019 period where QB's don't get hit much in the pocket.   

A guy like Aaron Rodgers would have never survived that era IMO...........he might have ended up like Chandler or Miller.    Rodgers holds onto the ball and was on his way to getting concussed out of the league before Goodell made those drastic changes to QB and WR contact.

• Like (+1) 2

I remember this incident well.  I do recall some suggesting it was staged at the time, but it never felt that way to me.

It's a nice example of the early deterioration of American culture, particularly with regard to sports commentary media. 

I cannot listen to Jim Rome, and have not done so for many years.

He is way, way too southern California for my taste.

Here's my Jim Everett story.  Years ago I got into the habit of bringing a little Sony Watchman TV with me to games, mainly because the Bills didn't have a replay scoreboard.  One time a group of us went to NE to see the Bills play the Patriots. On the way home we went to a rest stop on I-90 in Massachusetts.  I turned on the Jets/Rams game while we ate at Sbarro.  On one play the Jets intercepted Everett & I yelled very loudly "you suck" at the TV.  Several people turned in my direction & thought I was fighting with someone at our table.  I had to explain to them I was yelling at Jim Everett on my little TV and we were all getting along at our table.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's my Jim Everett story.  Years ago I got into the habit of bringing a little Sony Watchman TV with me to games, mainly because the Bills didn't have a replay scoreboard.  One time a group of us went to NE to see the Bills play the Patriots. On the way home we went to a rest stop on I-90 in Massachusetts.  I turned on the Jets/Rams game while we ate at Sbarro.  On one play the Jets intercepted Everett & I yelled very loudly "you suck" at the TV.  Several people turned in my direction & thought I was fighting with someone at our table.  I had to explain to them I was yelling at Jim Everett on my little TV and we were all getting along at our table.  

Sbarro? They probably thought you were yelling at the pizza.

• Haha (+1) 3

...Rome vs "Chrissy" was THE all-time classic.......a close 2nd IMO would be Brylcream Mel vs Colts' GM Tobin in 1994..........Tobin took Trev Alberts over Mel's objections that the (prolific) Dilfer should have been the pick......Tobin was interviewed about Mel's rant to which he replied, "who the hell is he?"......

On 2/7/2020 at 10:43 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I put together his intro video with a white Bronco driving from the airport that played up until he drove onto the then Pilot Field for his buffalo tour stop. It. Was a cool gig at the time since he was at his peak and I was a big time clone lol ... remember Mark from buffalo being the top caller from thi area. I think his sthick got old and others surpassed him , but he was a pioneer of that type of sports talk. 

That was you?!?  That was great!.......................I'm exactly like you.  Was a huge clone then, but not sure when, but I got tired of him.

He talks more about how great the interview coming up, and especially how great the interview he just did was - than any other content.  And, just keeps saying what's coming up after every break.  Just effing do it!