Do you eat puffers

flaz

In my life, I have eaten many puffers but this is a serious question. I live 300 feet from the Caloosahatchee river, on the Cape Coral side. I am allowed to fish behind my neighbors homes because I watch  the neighborhood when they are gone during the summer.

For whatever reason, it seems like most of the fish I prefer to eat, leave town at this time of year. What is left is a boat load of Southern Puffer, some as big as a pound and a half. I have heard they are good table fare. I have watched video on how to clean them , now I would like to hear from some other puffer eaters. What is your favorite recipe to make your puffer tasty 

7 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

In my life, I have eaten many puffers but this is a serious question. I live 300 feet from the Caloosahatchee river, on the Cape Coral side. I am allowed to fish behind my neighbors homes because I watch  the neighborhood when they are gone during the summer.

For whatever reason, it seems like most of the fish I prefer to eat, leave town at this time of year. What is left is a boat load of Southern Puffer, some as big as a pound and a half. I have heard they are good table fare. I have watched video on how to clean them , now I would like to hear from some other puffer eaters. What is your favorite recipe to make your puffer tasty 

I'm not sure but do you find it annoying when your hamster tries to learn a second language but only the swear words?

• Haha (+1) 4

According to this article, they may be poisonous. 

https://www.tbep.org/m/fc/Puffer_Fish--24.html

No, thank you. 

When I was a kid, we caught spiny blowfish in the Halifax River in Ormond Beach (I lived in Florida from 2nd grade through 8th grade, 1964 to 1971).  We would put them on the dock, watch them blow themselves up, and then kick them back into the river.  Probably cruel, and not something I would do as an adult. 

4 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

According to this article, they may be poisonous. 

https://www.tbep.org/m/fc/Puffer_Fish--24.html

No, thank you. 

When I was a kid, we caught spiny blowfish in the Halifax River in Ormond Beach (I lived in Florida from 2nd grade through 8th grade, 1964 to 1971).  We would put them on the dock, watch them blow themselves up, and then kick them back into the river.  Probably cruel, and not something I would do as an adult. 

The southern puffer is not poisonous . The  puffers in the asian rim are the ones with the toxins. If you prepare those properly and cook them. the toxin dies. Raw is the issue

• Like (+1) 1

The annoying little  bait stealing  puffer fish is very tasty. I just fried up 2 and the flesh is mild and white   :thumbsup:

The 2 I fried up were large, about a pound apiece. They are very easy to clean and there is no rib cage. Deep fried for about 8 minutes, with the breading still golden brown

Edited by fl az fan

On 2/7/2020 at 8:10 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Heres a video on how to eat them and live:

I love seafood, but I might rather roll the dice on some frozen clam strips. Just one conservative guys opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I love seafood, but I might rather roll the dice on some frozen clam strips. Just one conservative guys opinion. 

I'm the same... but, stamped out ray wings are pretty tasty for sure. Puffers are a pain in the ass just like ladyfish... not worth it to me anyways. Too many no hassle good fish to eat out there to even want to deal with a puffer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T&C said:

I'm the same... but, stamped out ray wings are pretty tasty for sure. Puffers are a pain in the ass just like ladyfish... not worth it to me anyways. Too many no hassle good fish to eat out there to even want to deal with a puffer.

If I have several good options, the one that just might kill me would be the first one crossed off the list. Maybe that’s just me? 

I’m sure it can be done, and done well. I just don’t see the point.....but I admit to very limited knowledge here. Enjoy (or not) in good health, my friends! 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

If I have several good options, the one that just might kill me would be the first one crossed off the list. Maybe that’s just me? 

I’m sure it can be done, and done well. I just don’t see the point.....but I admit to very limited knowledge here. Enjoy (or not) in good health, my friends! 

Not sure what you mean by that.

16 minutes ago, T&C said:

Not sure what you mean by that.

Referring to the video above “how to eat pufferfish and not die”.  My salmon and cauliflower tonight did not require specific instructions to survive the night. If I needed a specific knowledge to survive, it just might have been tilapia and green beans! 

Edited by Augie

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Referring to the video above “how to eat pufferfish and not die”.  My salmon and cauliflower tonight did not require specific instructions to survive the night. If I needed a specific knowledge to survive, it just might have been tilapia and green beens! 

Ahh.. I didnt watch the vid. Tilapia is a garbage fish, I won't eat it. If it isn't certified wild caught I won't eat any fish. The farmed crap from random countries is just that... crap.

Just now, T&C said:

Ahh.. I didnt watch the vid. Tilapia is a garbage fish, I won't eat it. If it isn't certified wild caught I won't eat any fish. The farmed crap from random countries is just that... crap.

Yet there is, from the sounds of it, the threat of imminent death. THAT is what I was responding to. Drinking soda is bad for you long term. The pufferfish sounds more like Russian roulette. I’d need to know more before I could take a comfortable stance there. NOT that I wouldn’t try it, but I’d need to know more.