Cut or Trade candidates

Dkollidas

17 hours ago, wppete said:

I really like the idea of going after Ryan Kerrigan to take over the SAM LB position. Think he would be an upgrade from Lorenzo. Hoping the Rivera, McBeane connection can make something happen. 

To me the LB that will replace Lorenzo will be our most important pick up this off-season. I also really want a better Tackle and kick Ford into guard but improving the WR core is way down my list.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t see the Chargers letting Bosa walk. These high end guys never become available.

I think it’s more about bad blood between chargers and Bosa.  I can’t see him not holding out without a long term deal.  Chargers can get value for him now or have him sit out until week 10 and see him walk next year for nothing.  I guess they could do this dance again next year with the franchise tag, but why not take the draft picks now.  

19 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I was just using examples. Yes I made a specific post about Jeffrey but wanted to expand upon players around the league.

You’re welcome to your opinion that he won’t be moved by Philadelphia. At the same time, Jeffrey is one of many players whose name is out there as a potential trade candidate. 

I have been surprised by trades in the past. 

I was very surprised when we traded Marcel Dareus, because of the huge cap hit and because he was helping our D even though no longer the player who matched up to his price tag.

I know you're using him as an example because his name is out there, and even out there as a player the Bills would trade for.  I do think off-season, a lot of media guys throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks or look at it from the POV of the team receiving the player in a trade.

On the other hand, someone said Jeffrey is the suspected source of the complaints that the Eagles should have kept Foles, so maybe they have a behavioral reason to take the cap hit and move on, as it's said we had with Lynch and with Dareus.

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s an interesting one, he’s one of the few contracts that actually give them good savings to cut. 

Gaine was in Houston when they drafted him.  I think he and Dareus will both be out in Jacksonville to help save money for Ngaekou.   Had a down year last year so could be had at a decent price.  I'd be game to see if he could start across from White.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given the talk about the Bills being willing to negotiate for AB, it may not make a difference, but apparently Diggs is a bit of a ...

anyway, in this fluff piece, 4 Vikings are clear and unambiguous that he's the guy on the team they would LEAST like to date their sister

That was interesting.  Everyone chose Diggs as the worst character guy except Diggs himself.

21 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

True but Bosa is elite and a process guy.  We’re gonna have to overpay for one of the free agent edge rushers who’s not as good as Bosa.  He’s good enough and young enough to consider it.  

Don't forget, with Bosa you also get Mama Bosa. Remember the pain she caused the Chargers when they drafted her son. She would drive Beane and McDermott crazy.

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

That’s an interesting one, he’s one of the few contracts that actually give them good savings to cut. 

I can’t remember if it’s this year or the next, but oí vaguely remember Marqise Lee and Hayden being cut-able guys for them as well. 

21 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

"...we on the personnel side will look at it with our own eyes. Sean and his coaches are in the meeting room and might like (a certain player) more because they’ve become buddies and see the game the same way and communicate well.

“I stand back and look at it from a distance. Maybe he doesn’t want to teach a new guy, who has just a little more ability, the ins and outs of his system. It’s my job to press him on that if I think there are players who make us better in the draft or free agency.”

Sounds like his pitch to Olsen

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We had the terms worked out but couldn’t reach the terms we needed with him. If Antonio Brown agreed, he would have been on the Bills.

The point being the Bills were (and will be) willing to overlook a suspect character if they think he helps them win. That’s why it’s stupid, at this point, to cross guys off the list because they aren’t “process guys.” That’s dead. The culture and leadership is in place. The Bills will look at anyone and everyone that fits a need at the right price.

I think Brown was an anomaly and you wont see that again with these guys. McDermott and Beane needed to do something because I really believe there was a meeting that basically said ownerships patience was running thin and something needs to change. Brown was a knuckle head but he really showed out after that trade fiasco. As long as they stay competitive they will continue bringing in cub scouts. They are undoubtedly looking for their guys

1 hour ago, Agent 91 said:

Sounds like his pitch to Olsen

I think Brown was an anomaly and you wont see that again with these guys. McDermott and Beane needed to do something because I really believe there was a meeting that basically said ownerships patience was running thin and something needs to change. Brown was a knuckle head but he really showed out after that trade fiasco. As long as they stay competitive they will continue bringing in cub scouts. They are undoubtedly looking for their guys

This seems like a very strange take.  Antonio Brown was rumored as traded to the Bills prior to FA last year.  What evidence was there of some kind of "patience wearing thin" meeting that would push an expensive trade for a top WR as the missing piece?  It was very clear last off season that we were far more than 1 offensive player away from fielding a working offense, and in fact we put a lot of hosses into addressing offense in FA.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This seems like a very strange take.  Antonio Brown was rumored as traded to the Bills prior to FA last year.  What evidence was there of some kind of "patience wearing thin" meeting that would push an expensive trade for a top WR as the missing piece?  It was very clear last off season that we were far more than 1 offensive player away from fielding a working offense, and in fact we put a lot of hosses into addressing offense in FA.

I just said I believe honestly it was very uncharacteristic. We were a HORRIBLE wr Corp. So it was just my own conjecture. I cant remember the actuals but I just got the feeling at the time. 

What I will say though. I dont see another move like that coming from them any time soon.

Just me

Diggs looks every bit the me guy. Hasn't Kerrigan missed half his career due to injury? I'm a little torn as to whether I expect this team to get younger or older this offseason. We are short some big pieces. It's not like we're one player away although a big production leap from Josh Allen could bring us to the brink.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, Rock'em Sock'em said:

I personally am hoping for AJ Green

Not that I think it will affect where he ends up in free agency, but AJ Green is currently building a really nice house right by me in Roswell GA.  I am guessing it is where he plans on retiring.  I also heard he has been working out at the gym that I go to in the off season, so he already has a place around here somewhere.  

On 2/7/2020 at 12:27 PM, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Trades work out better for teams that are working the comp pick formulas.  A team like the Seahawks can trade a 1st round pick for a guy like Clowney.  Then if he leaves after one year, they will at least get back a 3rd rounder.  Same for the Patriots (Sanu) and the Ravens (Peters). The same trade to a team not getting comp picks would effectively cost that team more.

I personally am hoping for AJ Green plus a defensive end.  Dunlap is not a splashy player, but is an extremely solid edge setter and plays with gap responsibility. The other defensive ends listed would improve our team.  For the reason stated above, I would not be a fan of trading picks.  Player for player trades work out when good players don't fit on their current team.

Agree 100%. Good post.

32 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Not that I think it will affect where he ends up in free agency, but AJ Green is currently building a really nice house right by me in Roswell GA.  I am guessing it is where he plans on retiring.  I also heard he has been working out at the gym that I go to in the off season, so he already has a place around here somewhere.  

Bruce Smith left for Virginia the Monday after the season and came back to Buffalo the morning of training camp. I don't care if these guys spend one minute of the offseason in Buffalo. Just be a professional and play hard on Sunday