XFL Opening Weekend, Matchups and where to watch.

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

despite the score, I feel like rooting for St Louis. I like the coaching, their system, their players, their unis

I like their unis too, and they are doing a good job on defense.

I like the logo for Dallas, but not crazy about that light blue/turquoise helmet.

Is the Saint Louis offensive coordinator, the same Chuck Long that was with the Lions, played college at Iowa?

Edited by Mark Vader

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I like the logo for Dallas, but not crazy about that light blue/turquoise helmet.

I wonder if they're able to wear different colored helmets in this league. They probably haven't committed resources to more unis, but it would be nice.

I want to see the XFL OT shootout rule.

https://www.xfl.com/rules

XFL Rule

• Overtime shall consist of 5 “Rounds”, staged in alternating single-play possessions as is customary in NHL shootouts or MLS penalty kicks. A “Round” will consist of one offensive play per team. Each possession starts at the opponent’s 5-yard line and the offensive team has one play to score. The team with more points after 5 rounds is the winner.
    • If a team has been mathematically eliminated before all 5 rounds have been completed, the game ends immediately (e.g. If Team A scores on its first 3 attempts and Team B is stopped on its first 3 attempts, then no subsequent plays are necessary). 
    • If teams are tied after 5 rounds, then rounds continue until one team is leading at the conclusion of a round, and that team will be the winner.
  • For scoring purposes, each successful overtime score is worth 2 points.
  • The defensive team cannot score. If the offensive team commits a turnover, the play is over immediately.
  • If the defensive team commits a penalty, the offensive team will be allowed to re-attempt from the 1-yard line.
    • Any subsequent penalty committed by the defensive team on any subsequent play, including in future rounds, will result in a score awarded to the offensive team.
  • If the offensive team commits a pre-snap penalty, the ball will be moved back from the original spot, pursuant to regular rules and the play will be re-attempted.
  • If the offensive team commits a post-snap penalty, the play will end and no score will be awarded.
  • There will be a minimum of 20 seconds between plays with the ball-spotting official working in conjunction with TV and Official Review to signal when the next play begins.
  • All Overtimes will have the visiting team on offense first and home team on defense first.
    Every round will repeat this format.
  • In Overtime the end zone where the overtime takes place will be determined at the 90 minute meeting.

Current NFL Rule

• The NFL has a 10-minute overtime period, where each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess the ball, unless the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown. A coin toss determines which team will possess the ball first in overtime. If neither team wins in the overtime period, the game ends in a tie.

Rationale

• NFL overtime can end in a tie and a team’s offense may never see the field. Overtime may also take up to 27 minutes to complete in the NFL. XFL overtime allows both teams to play offense, in under 10 minutes, and always has a winner.

Edited by Real McNasty

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Some ratings numbers. 

If they can come in at a 2.5 next week and stay hovering over a 1.5 each game for the entire season, that will be a huge success.  Great start and the games did nothing to make me not want to tune in next week.  They did a lot of good things.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would first have to ask not meant in a disrespectful way but if you watched his game, because it was very apparent why he’s playing there. 
Hard to bring down, he broke a few sacks. 
But holy crap it looked like every throw was off his back foot. He finished with nice stats but I attribute some of that to broken coverage and very easy throws and even some of them were ugly off his back foot. 
Potential of course for improvement since this is really his first time to start, practice and play as the main guy. I came away unimpressed from his game though. They discussed him possibly being the face of the league in pregame. He’s definitely a guy to watch going forward to see if he improves his footwork. 

Yeah I mean in time after having some time to work on his game

I was at the NY-TB game at MetLife yesterday. Had a good time and of course tailgating is always fun. Only 17,624 at MetLife which holds 82,500 so that tells you all you need to know about the crowd. It doesn't replace the NFL or college but it's nice to have football extended for a few months. The NY Guardians are 1-0 and the best football team in the NYC area. When your competition is the Jets/Giants I guess that's not saying much.

Edited by Greg S
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Is the Saint Louis offensive coordinator, the same Chuck Long that was with the Lions, played college at Iowa?

...good call bud...…...

Charles Franklin Long Jr. (born February 18, 1963) is a former American football player and coach who is currently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL. He played quarterback in college at Iowa for Hayden Fry and professionally with the Detroit Lions and the Los Angeles Rams. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1999.[1] After his professional career, Long was an assistant coach at Iowa and Oklahoma before serving as the head football coach at San Diego State. Long also held a position as the offensive coordinator for the Kansas Jayhawks under head coach Turner Gill.[2] Long is the CEO and Executive Director of the Iowa Sports Foundation,[3] the organization that runs the Iowa Games, the Senior Games, Adaptive Sports Iowa, Iowa Corporate Games and the Live Healthy Iowa challenge, as well as an analyst for the Big Ten Network.

57 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I was at the NY-TB game at MetLife yesterday. Had a good time and of course tailgating is always fun. Only 17,624 at MetLife which holds 82,500 so that tells you all you need to know about the crowd. It doesn't replace the NFL or college but it's nice to have football extended for a few months. The NY Guardians are 1-0 and the best football team in the NYC area. When your competition is the Jets/Giants I guess that's not saying much.

If they keep winning, how long before the calls on WFAN debating if the Guardians could beat the Jets or Giants?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

yeah something like that even. As long as XFL is cash positive and can work with NFL once they prove the viability it could work. Issue with NFLE is I think the NFL was still funding everything there. Here Vince and his guys would fund. Just the NFL and NFLPA would just have to work with him. 

Like how much More development in learning the game would happen for Wade if he was a Bills designation to the league and playing instead of sitting at home in UK this spring. 

I suspect potential liability for CTE/injuries will prevent the NFL from having any official connections to the XFL or any minor football league. They have enough exposure with the players they have. I agree having a few designated Bills, like say Christian Wade, would increase my interest. But I doubt it will ever happen.

So I was interested in the DC game on Saturday for a quarter or so, as they were piping in the coaches/QBs.  Really cool to hear the play calls, and it was surprising how much repetition they have play to play.  And that game looked better, as it was almost sunny in DC Saturday.

Tuned in yesterday and found the Fox game coverage completely bland.  I couldn't pay attention long enough to care.  Maybe it was just the difference in the players/coaching, but I tried.  The highlight was Greg Olsen talking about paying for breakfast.

27 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

So I was interested in the DC game on Saturday for a quarter or so, as they were piping in the coaches/QBs.  Really cool to hear the play calls, and it was surprising how much repetition they have play to play.  And that game looked better, as it was almost sunny in DC Saturday.

Tuned in yesterday and found the Fox game coverage completely bland.  I couldn't pay attention long enough to care.  Maybe it was just the difference in the players/coaching, but I tried.  The highlight was Greg Olsen talking about paying for breakfast.

They said the coaches microphones werent working.  They got them working in the 2nd.