XFL Opening Weekend, Matchups and where to watch.

MAJBobby

10 hours ago, davefan66 said:

The original question was, will it be around I’m 6 months?  I believe yes.  2 years from now?  I doubt it.

McMahon will do what it takes to play minimum of 2 years.  Would want to outdo the AAF.

I believe there is more of an appetite for football now, than when XFL-1 was around.  Should have a better TV audience than back then.  Interesting thing is they don’t get a dime from ESPN or Fox for TV rights so they best have a plan as ticket revenue isn’t going to keep them afloat.

edit:  Apparently the league is funded for 3 years.  Doesn’t mean they won’t pull the plug early.

Fair assessment, on my end I guess I don’t see many folk watching the same guys that most said were horrible players before the were cut, not counting player who never got drafted to begin with.   

Is the XFL basically the practice squad league...?  anyway semi pro leagues historically don’t last long unless they become a farm league, which college football already is... same with college basketball, the feeder system is already in place. 

22 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I enjoyed Seattle @ DC. Wifey was beside herself having “finally finished with football!”. So future games may need to be viewed in the music room.. Proehl looked good!

Seemed like all the former Bills looked good

Cardale Jones

Khari Lee

Austin Proehl

Cam Phillips

Bradley Sylvie 

Rashard Ross 

All former Bills that scored a TD... that i think speaks volume of our scouting department that our cuts can go out and be stars in other leagues

• Haha (+1) 1

....don't remember the name of the WR kid from Houston (can't find box score stats anywhere)......but the interview was pretty impressive.......announcer asked, "with three torn ACL's and a broken back, why are you here"?......"because I love football and love the game" was the reply.......crazy.....

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah he owns all the teams.  No franchises 

I’m really surprised he did it as a single entity league, not very common anymore.  I stand corrected, really didn’t think he would financially guarantee a single entity league for 3 years.  That’s quite the capital commitment to say the least.  

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m really surprised he did it as a single entity league, not very common anymore.  I stand corrected, really didn’t think he would financially guarantee a single entity league for 3 years.  That’s quite the capital commitment to say the least.  

...it probably gives him better financial control......look at the AAF and how quickly defaults happened with Owners being under capitalized.........

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I might get blistered for saying this but I would like to see a C. Jones with some playing experience would look like as the backup of OUR team

I would first have to ask not meant in a disrespectful way but if you watched his game, because it was very apparent why he’s playing there. 
Hard to bring down, he broke a few sacks. 
But holy crap it looked like every throw was off his back foot. He finished with nice stats but I attribute some of that to broken coverage and very easy throws and even some of them were ugly off his back foot. 
Potential of course for improvement since this is really his first time to start, practice and play as the main guy. I came away unimpressed from his game though. They discussed him possibly being the face of the league in pregame. He’s definitely a guy to watch going forward to see if he improves his footwork. 

Edited by Rc2catch

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Fair assessment, on my end I guess I don’t see many folk watching the same guys that most said were horrible players before the were cut, not counting player who never got drafted to begin with.   

Is the XFL basically the practice squad league...?  anyway semi pro leagues historically don’t last long unless they become a farm league, which college football already is... same with college basketball, the feeder system is already in place. 

World league lasted because of its NFL affiliation and being a feeder league.

Football is king in this country, don’t believe fans will support a rival league long term unless the XFL signs college or NFL stars.  Yes, yesterday was promising, and today should only continue because if that hype.

The XFL is funded for at least 3 years.  Is the ultimate goal to become the NFL farm system?  Don’t believe the NFL has any interest in that.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

likely there would be no other owner investors given the concepts abysmal record of success.  

He’s prepared to lose 375 million in 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

World league lasted because of its NFL affiliation and being a feeder league.

Football is king in this country, don’t believe fans will support a rival league long term unless the XFL signs college or NFL stars.  Yes, yesterday was promising, and today should only continue because if that hype.

The XFL is funded for at least 3 years.  Is the ultimate goal to become the NFL farm system?  Don’t believe the NFL has any interest in that.

I agree with your point that the NFL has no interest in the XFL becoming a farm system. Being that the college ranks fulfill that role already, and do so for all the major sports, and it essentially is a free service for the pro sports leagues. 

I keep coming back to what is essentially a league of sub practice squad level players, and really who wants to watch a bunch of guys who never made it to the NFL or got cut off teams and no one wanted to hire them??  In the end, what does it say about the NFL if  the XFL succeeds?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree with your point that the NFL has no interest in the XFL becoming a farm system. Being that the college ranks fulfill that role already, and do so for all the major sports, and it essentially is a free service for the pro sports leagues. 

I keep coming back to what is essentially a league of sub practice squad level players, and really who wants to watch a bunch of guys who never made it to the NFL or got cut off teams and no one wanted to hire them??  In the end, what does it say about the NFL if  the XFL succeeds?

The NFL may not want it to succeed, but I’m sure gm’s are watching this closely. These guys fill out the bottom 20 of your roster/practice squad and are dirt cheap even compared to most rookie contracts. This is the ultimate bargain shop for an NFL gm. 

The other thing they have going is everyone nationwide is sick of the flag fests and bad officiating in the nfl, if they want to let these guys play with less flags non stop its a fun game without people constantly saying “that’s a penalty” 

They let them play big time in that DC game and we even had people on here mentioning “that’s a penalty” “why don’t they call that” 

I am all for partially eliminating some of these non stop ticky tack penalties. Enjoying the game without questioning every play if there’s a penalty or not. 

Edited by Rc2catch

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The NFL may not want it to succeed, but I’m sure gm’s are watching this closely. These guys fill out the bottom 20 of your roster/practice squad and are dirt cheap even compared to most rookie contracts. This is the ultimate bargain shop for an NFL gm. 

The other thing they have going is everyone nationwide is sick of the flag fests and bad officiating in the nfl, if they want to let these guys play with less flags non stop its a fun game without people constantly saying “that’s a penalty” 

They let them play big time in that DC game and we even had people on here mentioning “that’s a penalty” “why don’t they call that” 

I am all for partially eliminating some of these non stop ticky tack penalties. Enjoying the game without questioning every play if there’s a penalty or not. 

So it’s not about a sport that has elite athletes anymore, but more about how the game is conducted, That should cause a shudder down the NFLs back... ?

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

So it’s not about a sport that has elite athletes anymore, but more about how the game is conducted, That should cause a shudder down the NFLs back... ?

It’s not meant to scare the NFL. It’s an alternative. Nobody is forced to watch. If they continue to field a good product it’s a win win situation for fans. Everyone has preferences on what they want to see. College football is 80% a joke and people watch that non stop. 
Cause ya know Alabama vs East southern middle Carolina is a fantastic matchup, but people still go and watch the game and will watch if it’s on tv. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I believe Bill James (father of Moneyball) said within the last year that you could essentially remove every player from Major League Baseball and replace them with semi-pro players and within 3 years nobody would know the difference.

He got flamed for his statement because it’s pretty disrespectful but I think the point was, the game is the game, if you have equal talent playing on the same field you shouldn’t be able notice the difference. 

I think you just have to watch the XFL and accept it for what it is. If I’m an NFL executive or coach, I’m tuning in to every game, or even sending scouts. Not only to evaluate players, but to poach formations, play concepts, etc. As a fan I’m enjoying the alternative and getting to see some guys live out their dream. Many will never get another shot. 

There is a lot to be learned. 

EDIT: Here is the tweet. It was deleted by James after a lot of backlash from players. 

“If the players all retired tomorrow, we would replace them, the game would go on; in three years it would make no difference whatsoever. The players are NOT the game, any more than the beer vendors are.”

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The season is so quick (championship April 26) I think by the time people get tired of it or injuries take their toll on some teams the season will end.so that’s good.  Just continue to be really competitive and interesting for a couple months and the league should hang around. 

• Like (+1) 1