XFL Opening Weekend, Matchups and where to watch.

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

The original question was, will it be around I’m 6 months?  I believe yes.  2 years from now?  I doubt it.

McMahon will do what it takes to play minimum of 2 years.  Would want to outdo the AAF.

I believe there is more of an appetite for football now, than when XFL-1 was around.  Should have a better TV audience than back then.  Interesting thing is they don’t get a dime from ESPN or Fox for TV rights so they best have a plan as ticket revenue isn’t going to keep them afloat.

They're pinning all their long term hopes on a lucrative TV contract.  

I was quite pleased with the product. The kickoff rules and the extra point options are pretty cool.. I was surprised with how clean the games were and the overall quality of play. Additionally, the officiating was pretty darn good. I'll be watching this again for sure. ????

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

One would think so.  The NFL basically covers their player salaries with TV revenue every year.

There is TV revenue and sponsorships.  Have to have a fan base to score the sponsors.

Ultimately, will fans support year round football?  I’ll be honest, love the NFL but don’t mind the off-season.  Can get things done on the weekends...

6 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

The original question was, will it be around I’m 6 months?  I believe yes.  2 years from now?  I doubt it.

McMahon will do what it takes to play minimum of 2 years.  Would want to outdo the AAF.

I believe there is more of an appetite for football now, than when XFL-1 was around.  Should have a better TV audience than back then.  Interesting thing is they don’t get a dime from ESPN or Fox for TV rights so they best have a plan as ticket revenue isn’t going to keep them afloat.

edit:  Apparently the league is funded for 3 years.  Doesn’t mean they won’t pull the plug early.

No new sports league will ever have any TV rights paying them money at launch, this is standard.  Like MLS, MLR, AAF, etc when they started, they wont make money on their TV deals out the gate.  The league/teams will pay for production of non national TV games, and the national TV games production cost will likely be covered by the network.  But the network keeps all revenue.  

League like this usually signs a 2 or 3 year deal like this.  They need the exposure to succeed, so they don't really have a choice.  If the league exceeds early expectations, its not out of the question the networks will open negotiations early, but also its not likely.  

From what I have read, XFL is on a 3 year TV deal like this.  When MLR launched in 2017, it was a 2 year deal (they just started their 3rd season in January).  There is no guarantee money will be offered for the rights even when deal has expired.  If the league isn't drawing enough, they would likely just extend the original deal.  

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

As does every sports league as that is a main source of revenue for a league

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No new sports league will ever have any TV rights paying them money at launch, this is standard.  Like MLS, MLR, AAF, etc when they started, they wont make money on their TV deals out the gate.  The league/teams will pay for production of non national TV games, and the national TV games production cost will likely be covered by the network.  But the network keeps all revenue.  

League like this usually signs a 2 or 3 year deal like this.  They need the exposure to succeed, so they don't really have a choice.  If the league exceeds early expectations, its not out of the question the networks will open negotiations early, but also its not likely.  

From what I have read, XFL is on a 3 year TV deal like this.  When MLR launched in 2017, it was a 2 year deal (they just started their 3rd season in January).  There is no guarantee money will be offered for the rights even when deal has expired.  If the league isn't drawing enough, they would likely just extend the original deal.  

Believe they are on a 3 year deal.  May be wrong.

From what I read, they are funded for 3 years.  Their costs should contain no big surprises from now until then - player/coach cost and stadium costs should be somewhat set.  They just can’t depend on TV, ticket or merchandise revenue.

5 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

One would think so.  The NFL basically covers their player salaries with TV revenue every year.

There is TV revenue and sponsorships.  Have to have a fan base to score the sponsors.

Ultimately, will fans support year round football?  I’ll be honest, love the NFL but don’t mind the off-season.  Can get things done on the weekends...

History says no. There's a post Superbowl depression disorder that usually disappears within a couple of weeks that the AFL took advantage of in the early 2000's to get a contract with NBC.  Maybe this league will beat the odds though.

16 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Believe they are on a 3 year deal.  May be wrong.

From what I read, they are funded for 3 years.  Their costs should contain no big surprises from now until then - player/coach cost and stadium costs should be somewhat set.  They just can’t depend on TV, ticket or merchandise revenue.

Yeah, read the same thing that McM has funded them for 3 years and is willing to lose money over that time until they can get to TV rev deals.  Which probably confirms the existing deal is a 3 year deal.  

Also, McM isn't carry all the expense.  Each of those individually owned teams will have had to come into the league with enough funding to also survive for 3 years (or could have been even longer like 5 years).  And thats gross operations before revenue as they can't depend on revenue projections on something that hasn't launched yet.  

I was involved in the first year of Major League Rugby, and it was run the same way. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, read the same thing that McM has funded them for 3 years and is willing to lose money over that time until they can get to TV rev deals.  Which probably confirms the existing deal is a 3 year deal.  

Also, McM isn't carry all the expense.  Each of those individually owned teams will have had to come into the league with enough funding to also survive for 3 years (or could have been even longer like 5 years).  And thats gross operations before revenue as they can't depend on revenue projections on something that hasn't launched yet.  

I was involved in the first year of Major League Rugby, and it was run the same way. 

huh?  Teams are league owned, no?

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Add in that the have already made more revenue in tickets before kickoff than the AAF did the entire year should show there is a market. 

Also the QB play hasn’t been Atrocious yet like in AAF

I definitely think the communication rules for the coaches wear the headset never turns off is a great way to help the quarterback play.

But the broadcasting here is definitely very good and this was a good watch today. I'll time in tomorrow also.

The last start up league had weird camera angles and it didn't feel like a professional game to me, this had the look and feel of a real somewhat NFL type of game, the crowd was really into it and I actually enjoyed watching it. I was thinking hehateme was going to come running out of the tunnel but that never happened. Hopefully this league will stick, it doesn't need to be the NFL we just need quality football after the Superbowl and leading up to the draft and into the summer.

3 hours ago, Charles Romes said:
Cardale Jones 16/26 291 2td 0int 125.6 rtg

XFL could give him a career.  He just needs reps to be a backup plus. Would be a great backup for any duel threat qb team. 

I might get blistered for saying this but I would like to see a C. Jones with some playing experience would look like as the backup of OUR team

It was better than expected but I can't see it surviving. 

Some of the new novelty elements will become annoying real fast, like the interviews. And the better ones the NFL will quickly take. 

Whilst it's good to watch football. The standard was terrible 

If there is any sign of success, the NFL will create its own feeder league, that they control. They won't let the XFL succeedc

Granted I was down with a brutal head cold yesterday, plopping me squarely in front of the tube all day, but I thought the DC game was very watchable.   Anyone else have a viewpoint?     

wow, post crushed. 

Edited by ProcessTruster