XFL Opening Weekend, Matchups and where to watch.

MAJBobby

This XFL exists for only one reason:  television programming at a minimal cost.  Per Wikipedia:  "The Wall Street Journal reported via inside sources that neither the broadcasters or the league are making any upfront payments, but that the XFL will sell the in-game sponsorship inventory. The networks will cover the production costs, hold the digital rights to their telecasts, and the right to sell the conventional commercial inventory during their games."

Team budgets and the programming costs are all low enough that it won't take much (a few ads, ticket sales, maybe some t-shirts) to make the league "viable" -- meaning it won't lose money.  And think about it: what else do Fox (and its FS1) and ABC (and its ESPN) have to program in these time slots?  They're already saturated with college basketball and that ends for them in about another month anyway.  Golf?  Not many majors in the next 10 or 12 weeks (CBS has the Masters).  Baseball?  Fox can park its Saturday game on one of its two networks but the seasons barely overlap (two weeks in April?) and nobody will care that early in the year.  Bowling?

I think this is very low risk for ABC and Fox.  So long as they control costs like it seems they can, this can be a workable venture.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

After I take my daughter out for lunch, I’ll probably watch a bit, but not a top priority.

.....what's your take why the XFL doesn't end up in the heap with all of the other failed attempts?.......NFLE probably had the longest run, but I'm not sure they should be included with non-NFL affiliates..

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Old Time, I doubt it will last either.

....at least the NFLE was a totally different market across the pond.....the US market is saturated IMO.....even if the XFL (as with other failures) is an off season "tweener", there is football fatigue post Super Bowl.....the different era of NFL vs AFL competing saw the eventual merger, but IMO, that will never happen again......probably a lousy comparison (but it's me doing it), but look at the CVS/Rite-Aid recent merger and how many overlapping stores were closed.....why would the NFL merge today, being faced with getting rid of overlapping franchises, when they could just expand into MAJOR markets of THEIR CHOICE?.....their model today (I think) is based on markets with MAJOR corporate influence ($$$).......they no longer need the average Joe Fan, despite them being the foundation for today's "cash cow success".....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....what's your take why the XFL doesn't end up in the heap with all of the other failed attempts?.......NFLE probably had the longest run, but I'm not sure they should be included with non-NFL affiliates..

I think the biggest thing the XFL has in it's favor is Vince McMahon's money. I read a story that he's basically committed to losing money for three years, betting that by then the league will have enough viewers that he can get rights fees.

I plan to watch. The XFL won't stop me from enjoying UB basketball or the Sabres. (Enjoying?) I don't care about baseball so having spring football is a plus for me.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think the biggest thing the XFL has in it's favor is Vince McMahon's money. I read a story that he's basically committed to losing money for three years, betting that by then the league will have enough viewers that he can get rights fees.

I plan to watch. The XFL won't stop me from enjoying UB basketball or the Sabres. (Enjoying?) I don't care about baseball so having spring football is a plus for me.

...get your point bro.....but with McMahon, regardless of his money, is it his WWE mentality ego first?......shouldn't his first go around failure teach him something, or is it Vince being Vince?.....

58 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...get your point bro.....but with McMahon, regardless of his money, is it his WWE mentality ego first?......shouldn't his first go around failure teach him something, or is it Vince being Vince?.....

Supposedly not. In fact he's been very much in the background. This is Oliver Luck's league. They want to be taken seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The big question to me is what is the goal? Whats the end game for the XFL?  

The first go round the XFL was a response to the NFL's actions to make the game less violent, eliminate celebrations, and a move away from controversial rule changes.  this time around the value prop seems to be different rules and a 2 hour game.  The current iteration of the XFL offers solutions to non-existent problems.  Of all the NFL rules, no one gives a ***** about the PAT.  No one is asking for 2 forward passes.  No one is asking for shorter time spent in front of the TV and less time at a bar away from their wife and kids.  

So less talent, teams with no history, and slightly different rules?  Sign me up. 

They aren't even attempting to lure players away from the NFL so I doubt the long-term plan is to compete.  Is this purely a financial play to bank on insatiable demand for football 12 months a year?  I would think best case scenario is they get adopted as the NFL development league or farm system.  What am I missing?

I think the basic concept is more football for fans who can't get enough, offered at at time of the year when there normally would be no football.

Not sure it's more complicated than that.

?

Il give it a shot and see what’s what. IMO, The only chance that a league like this has, is to somehow create an affiliation with the NFL. Fans need something to identify with and to me that is accomplished by creating some sort of connection with their current nfl team. Using the XFL as a developmental league fur players on the fringe of an NFL roster, is the only way to create sustainable interest in the general public. The NFL doesn’t need another league but another league needs the NFL.