XFL Opening Weekend, Matchups and where to watch.

MAJBobby

Saturday

Seattle Dragons vs DC Defenders -  2PM on ABC

Former Bills (Starting) (Best of my Knowledge)

SEA

Cyril Richardson - LG

Austin Proehl - WR

DC

Malachi Dupre - WR

De'Ondre Wesly - LT

Khari Lee - TE

Cardale Jones - QB (Tyree is BU)

AJ Tarpley - LB

LA Wildcats vs Houston Roughnecks - 5PM on Fox

LA 

Josh Johnson - QB

HOU

Cam Phillips - WR

Sunday

TB Vipers vs NY Guardians - 2PM Fox

TB

None

NY

Jarron Jones - LT

STL Battlehawks vs DAL Renegades - 5PM ESPN

STL

None

DAL

None

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

The big question to me is what is the goal? Whats the end game for the XFL?  

The first go round the XFL was a response to the NFL's actions to make the game less violent, eliminate celebrations, and a move away from controversial rule changes.  this time around the value prop seems to be different rules and a 2 hour game.  The current iteration of the XFL offers solutions to non-existent problems.  Of all the NFL rules, no one gives a ***** about the PAT.  No one is asking for 2 forward passes.  No one is asking for shorter time spent in front of the TV and less time at a bar away from their wife and kids.  

So less talent, teams with no history, and slightly different rules?  Sign me up. 

They aren't even attempting to lure players away from the NFL so I doubt the long-term plan is to compete.  Is this purely a financial play to bank on insatiable demand for football 12 months a year?  I would think best case scenario is they get adopted as the NFL development league or farm system.  What am I missing?

22 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The first go round the XFL was a response to the NFL's actions to make the game less violent, eliminate celebrations, and a move away from controversial rule changes.  this time around the value prop seems to be different rules and a 2 hour game.  The current iteration of the XFL offers solutions to non-existent problems.  Of all the NFL rules, no one gives a ***** about the PAT.  No one is asking for 2 forward passes.  No one is asking for shorter time spent in front of the TV and less time at a bar away from their wife and kids.  

So less talent, teams with no history, and slightly different rules?  Sign me up. 

They aren't even attempting to lure players away from the NFL so I doubt the long-term plan is to compete.  Is this purely a financial play to bank on insatiable demand for football 12 months a year?  I would think best case scenario is they get adopted as the NFL development league or farm system.  What am I missing?

I think the Best case for them is to start to lure the HS players from College, and become a viable option for them to get paid while waiting for the  3 year rule to be up.  And eventually become a minor league to the NFL.  If they can do what the CFL does with maybe one or two of their players breaking into the NFL that will be nice early success showing it can help improve talent.  

Also maybe they become viable as just a second league and another place for the THOUSANDS that do not make it to the NFL to earn a living playing the sport they love

12 minutes ago, Philo said:

He must not be starting but I am pretty sure I saw that our boy Brandon Reilly is on the Battlehawks roster. Keith Ford is there too. 

Reilly is the BU Slot

Ford is 3rd string RB

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Well, first, I think they want to see if the league can be viable. 

THEN after proving that (a couple of years), they can start upping the players salaries depending on the money coming into the league.  Once they can start paying players 1-2 MIL a year to play, then I think you will start seeing low to middle tier NFL players really having an opportunity to play in both leagues.

BUT being a viable league is way #1 priority and to do that 1) keep player salaries down, 2) the TV deal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Saturday

Seattle Dragons vs DC Defenders -  2PM on ABC

SEA

Cyril Richardson - LG

Austin Proehl - WR

DC

Malachi Dupre - WR

De'Ondre Wesly - LT

Khari Lee - TE

Cardale Jones - QB (Tyree is BU)

AJ Tarpley - LB

LA Wildcats vs Houston Roughnecks - 5PM on Fox

LA 

Josh Johnson - QB

HOU

Cam Phillips - WR

Sunday

TB Vipers vs NY Guardians - 2PM Fox

TB

None

NY

Jarron Jones - LT

STL Battlehawks vs DAL Renegades - 5PM ESPN

STL

None

DAL

None

TB doesn't have any former Bills. But they do have Jake Schum punting. He went to Frontier, Graduated to Buff State, and walked on to UB. Played a few years with Green Bay and one year with Tampa.

53 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Basically this. They're also getting a fair amount of good ol' boys who are allegedly boycotting the NFL because of the kneeling thing. 

They're doing the exact opposite of what I thought they'd do. I thought for sure they'd have Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, etc. Guys who were college stars and didn't cut it in the NFL for some reason, who would draw on their starpower. 

The DC Defenders have a couple of UB Bulls which is kinda cool for us UB fans who live near DC>

QB Tyree Jackson 

C   James O'Hagan

They also had a third UB Bull, Kristjan Sokoli (DE) but he was cut last week.

XFL is going to be a joke.  I think that you need a break from sports.  The offseason is fun because it builds anticipation and it’s different.  

I don’t think there’s enough substantial interest in spring football to justify the investment they’ve made. 

Over saturation is not a good thing - and it’s the very reason why WWE’s viewership and attendance continually drop year after year.  Too much of a good thing is not good!

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

XFL is going to be a joke.  I think that you need a break from sports.  The offseason is fun because it builds anticipation and it’s different.  

I don’t think there’s enough substantial interest in spring football to justify the investment they’ve made. 

Over saturation is not a good thing - and it’s the very reason why WWE’s viewership and attendance continually drop year after year.  Too much of a good thing is not good!

After the Super Bowl I pay more attention to hockey (Isles fan) and then baseball soon after (Yanks fan). Football season to me is the NFL and college. I might check out the XFL if nothing else is on but this time of year I will stick with the NHL and MLB when it comes to sports.

I'm intrigued by the XFL. Not sure why but I'll give it a shot and watch a bit here and there.  It will be interesting to see if fans show up and if they get ratings.  As long as they don't try to compete with the NFL,  they can carve out a small niche.   

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The whole league, I understand, is owned, more or less, by Vince McMahon of the WWE.  He's into entertainment.   He knows he's not going to beat the NFL in terms of TV contracts and money.  He thinks there is room for a niche player if he can find the right formula.  That would involve controlling costs (player contracts), a season that is not competing head to head with the NFL (or college), and trying some innovations to speed up the game and make it more fun to watch.  Players will be drawn from NFL has beens trying to extend their careers, players who just can't make it in the NFL, and perhaps players who aren't ready for the NFL yet, but could develop.  

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

The offseason is fun 

That’s where you lost me. The whole reason there’s a market for anything football is that most people feel differently. I hope the XFL works out for many reasons. The very least of which is to kill time until the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a Seattle Dragons season ticket owner and am looking forward to watching some more football. I thought the league last year was good til they folded.

The idea of a shorter game is a really good one.    The rest of the rule change I really don't care about.

The NFL has gotten so circus like it might be fun to just watch guys play football for football's sake.

Hopefully whenever someone does their job all the players don't have to run down to one end of the field and pretend they are posing for a family photo.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

I am hoping they have a solid run here. 
I’m actually quite excited to see how the games go and the rules. 
I am a little nervous how they will handle all this on opening weekend. Will the refs suck? They seem to have some decent announce teams but are they going to be knowledgeable about these rules and who these players are? You can’t fumble and make silly mistakes out of the gate or fans are going to laugh it off more than they already do before a down has even been played. 
There is a market for this, not a huge billion dollar one but there is a market. 

I also do find it a little comical seeing Vince McMahon try this again, wanting to get a lesser share of the NFL pie, funny now that the Jags owner is dabbling in his own wrestling company to steal a share of the wrestling pie that Vince has monopolized for many years. 

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

McMahon smart enough to know the NFL would never have a “ minor league” outside of the NCAA.  This is a pure vanity piece. One mans monument to himself.  WWE had a good run but has gone south in a hurry.  Very stale. 

These rosters are trash. 

There is a market for football this time of year. Just look no further than the Draft, UFA period and now the Combine in Primetime. 

As long as it is decent football people will watch. After all they watch these guys run around in spandex for 5 hours a day.