Has anyone bothered to take a second look at the WCPG against Houston?

njbuff

56 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Exclude the Brown throw, why not try some of those runs again?

innovation is something we haven't seen much of for 24 or so years, so dribs and drabs have been nice

teams are looking for it the rest of the game, you only get one shot against a decent opponent, let along a home team in the playoffs

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

innovation is something we haven't seen much of for 24 or so years, so dribs and drabs have been nice

teams are looking for it the rest of the game, you only get one shot against a decent opponent, let along a home team in the playoffs

And don't forget they actually did run the QB sweep again in OT that would have likely set up the game winning FG attempt at the very least and may have broke for a TD if blocks aren't missed

They clearly identified stuff that was going to work against Texans defense and built it in, the scouting/design was good but the gameplan imo went to ***** after halftime

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not arguing about the "right thing to do", I'm pointing out that I'm not "technically right", that's the way modern playcalling works.

See also GoBills808 explanation, right on the money as far as I can tell.

Daboll was NOT good at time management/playcalling in tight game situations last season.  In post-game or Monday pressers when McDermott references an "Operational issue" that's what he means.  One reason Daboll moved to the booth was an attempt to address this, and it's still not solved.

Fair point. Still, that's gotta be a pass play even if you're resigned to firing it out of bounds. Josh has to know that. 

What I didn’t understand either is that JJ Watt makes a play for Houston’s defense, then immediately the Bills defense falls apart.

The Bills D was smothering Houston’s O for 2.5 quarters then in a blink of an eye they couldn’t stop a nose bleed.

Just another frustrating aspect of an infuriating game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, thebandit27 said:

I watched it several times.

There are about 10 different critical plays that the Bills easily could’ve made, and didn’t, that resulted in that loss. Just off the top of my head:

- Smoke drags his foot on a 3rd down sideline pass and we’ve got 1st and goal at the 3 instead of a FG attempt to go up 10

- Duke drops a TD pass that hit both hands, so instead of 17-0 it’s 13-0

- Ford whiffs badly on Watt and gets Allen sacked before he can hit the inside target (think it was Beasley—EDIT: it was Knox coming open at the 5 for a 1st down, not a TD), so it’s 16-0 instead of (possibly) 20-0

- Josh fumbles away the ball giving Houston their best field position of the day

- Siran Neal drops an easy pick-6 that probably ices the game

- Ford/Morse/Knox miss the easy block on Cunningham that probably leads Josh inside the 30 (at least) for a GW FG

- Ford takes a PF penalty negating a chance for a GW 54-yard FG

- Brutal execution on the 3rd and 18 in OT

- Two defenders can’t tackle Watson on 2nd and 6, which leads to Taiwan Jones’ GW RAC

Nice list, but the killer was going for it on 4th and 27.  The most ridiculous decision ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Nice list, but the killer was going for it on 4th and 27.  The most ridiculous decision ever.

That was a weird decision.

They still had all three timeouts and they could have pinned them deep, gotten a three and out and could have gotten a game winning TD instead of a game tying FG.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That was a weird decision.

They still had all three timeouts and they could have pinned them deep, gotten a three and out and could have gotten a game winning TD instead of a game tying FG.

In his "Pardon my Take" appearance (different thread here), they discussed Allen's lateral.  The hosts asked "was coach pretty mad at you after?"  Allen said "Not really".  Said after the game, they were all pretty disappointed but it wasn't like (lowers his voice) "that was your fault".

I think if they're fair-minded, the coaches must recognize there was plenty of blame to go around and poor decisions, including bad coaching decisions of which that's the leading candidate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

And don't forget they actually did run the QB sweep again in OT that would have likely set up the game winning FG attempt at the very least and may have broke for a TD if blocks aren't missed

They clearly identified stuff that was going to work against Texans defense and built it in, the scouting/design was good but the gameplan imo went to ***** after halftime

Bills have to learn to reach a little bit higher and put away a winnable game

the other alternative is simply stack the team with so much talent that it is almost impossible to lose

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In his "Pardon my Take" appearance (different thread here), they discussed Allen's lateral.  The hosts asked "was coach pretty mad at you after?"  Allen said "Not really".  Said after the game, they were all pretty disappointed but it wasn't like (lowers his voice) "that was your fault".

I think if they're fair-minded, the coaches must recognize there was plenty of blame to go around and poor decisions, including bad coaching decisions of which that's the leading candidate.

game film will be studied for 100s of hours before week one and serious and private conclusions will be drawn by those on the Bills payroll

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They scored 51 points and touchdowns on 6 straight possessions. 

It's hard to fathom and pathetic the Bills only put up 19 points on offense in 5 quarters..... it's a combination of Dabolls complicated scheme and extreme lack of talent on that side of the ball. 

I agree.

6 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Showed we are no where near ready to beat a quality opponent 

Yeah that 3-point loss in an OT game where Buffalo could’ve won by making any one of a dozen plays is really a testament to how far from being competitive they really are 

?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

even being a strong 2nd-best in a conference can seem dismal sometimes

2nd best in the conference? We were barely 2nd best in our division.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Yeah that 3-point loss in an OT game where Buffalo could’ve won by making any one of a dozen plays is really a testament to how far from being competitive they really are 

?

bad teams find ways to lose & we put up 19 against the worse defense in the playoffs that gave up a million the next week.

Just now, uticaclub said:

2nd best in the conference? We were barely 2nd best in our division.

bad teams find ways to lose & we put up 19 against the worse defense in the playoffs that gave up a million the next week.

You know that same team beat KC on the road, right?

Your post was illogical and inaccurate.