Has anyone bothered to take a second look at the WCPG against Houston?

njbuff

On 2/7/2020 at 11:26 AM, njbuff said:

Unfortunately I did.

It almost made me just as sick to watch it a second time as opposed to watching it live.

Three players missing a block on the Josh Allen sweep in OT was the game-killer for me.

I took a second look. We still lost. On to next season.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Bum would've had the stones to stand up to Ralph, but Wade didn't.  I'll stick Wade in 3rd and leave him there. Sean and Brandon have an opportunity to do what Marv & Bill did. It will be exciting to watch. 

plausible 

but wade was a good coach in between Marv and the current staffing

he is well above those 8 or whatever bozos in that sad set

On 2/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, thebandit27 said:

I watched it several times.

There are about 10 different critical plays that the Bills easily could’ve made, and didn’t, that resulted in that loss. Just off the top of my head:

- Smoke drags his foot on a 3rd down sideline pass and we’ve got 1st and goal at the 3 instead of a FG attempt to go up 10

- Duke drops a TD pass that hit both hands, so instead of 17-0 it’s 13-0

- Ford whiffs badly on Watt and gets Allen sacked before he can hit the inside target (think it was Beasley—EDIT: it was Knox coming open at the 5 for a 1st down, not a TD), so it’s 16-0 instead of (possibly) 20-0

- Josh fumbles away the ball giving Houston their best field position of the day

- Siran Neal drops an easy pick-6 that probably ices the game

- Ford/Morse/Knox miss the easy block on Cunningham that probably leads Josh inside the 30 (at least) for a GW FG

- Ford takes a PF penalty negating a chance for a GW 54-yard FG

- Brutal execution on the 3rd and 18 in OT

- Two defenders can’t tackle Watson on 2nd and 6, which leads to Taiwan Jones’ GW RAC

:30 left before halftime.

Ball on Houston 23 yard line.

1st down- Gore 1 yard gain.

2nd down- Spike

3rd down- Pass incomplete to #82 In the end zone. 

It was at this moment, that I knew that the coaches would cost the team the game.

(For the record, I like the coaches that we have. However, McD needs to quit being a good sport, and develop a killer instinct. As well as BD needs to stop making things about his playbook, and start calling what is/has been working all game.)

Hopefully their egos allow them to learn from this going into next year, and take those next steps.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:26 AM, njbuff said:

Unfortunately I did.

It almost made me just as sick to watch it a second time as opposed to watching it live.

Three players missing a block on the Josh Allen sweep in OT was the game-killer for me.

Can't.  Verizon will not let you record unless you rent recorder from them and recordings are useless without their DVR and service so once you leave.  They think it is way to keep customers but it is opposite.  At contract renewal we are dropping land line (their land line sucks) and tv.

7 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

:30 left before halftime.

Ball on Houston 23 yard line.

1st down- Gore 1 yard gain.

2nd down- Spike

3rd down- Pass incomplete to #82 In the end zone. 

It was at this moment, that I knew that the coaches would cost the team the game.

(For the record, I like the coaches that we have. However, McD needs to quit being a good sport, and develop a killer instinct. As well as BD needs to stop making things about his playbook, and start calling what is/has been working all game.)

Hopefully their egos allow them to learn from this going into next year, and take those next steps.

The Gore run was a pass play that Allen audibled out of because he didn't like the look. Don't blame the coaches for that one. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:43 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

There was a time where I would play SB XXVII and XXVIII on the old VHS over just to try to clinically  pinpoint exactly where and how things went off the rails, and I admit I probably was no fun to be around simultaneously. So this will be a no-go for me, although I’m more than happy to start a thread about our playoff wins and dissect all the ways we routinely smoked say, Danny Marino...:D

Sorry, but this is fun in a perverse sort of way:

SB28 went off the rails when Thurman got dehydrated, right? 

SB27 got bad just before Jimbo went down, not sure what to blame in that one.

SB26 would have been a different game if that PI against Andre gets called at the end of the 2nd quarter.

And SB25 - well, we should have run it more.  And maybe tackled a little better on 3rd and forever.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The Gore run was a pass play that Allen audibled out of because he didn't like the look. Don't blame the coaches for that one. 

It's a rare NFL QB these days who is out there winging it because he "didn't like the look".  Maybe Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady have that authority.  Pretty safe bet at this point in a playoff game, Allen does not.

A QB usually has a specific, coached checklist of defensive looks that are specified for him: "audible out of this pass play if you see this"

A QB also doesn't just audible from one play into some random play.  He has a specific run play specified to call in those circumstances.

So, who called the pass play that had the specific checklist of defensive looks Allen saw, and specified that run play as the response to them?

I'll hang up and wait.

My biggest takeaway was we should have won... many many many times.

2nd biggest takeaway is let's run the dang ball or attempt it like we did in the 1st series. I think we have most of the guys we need to run the ball and I really think Singletary might be our best RB in a long time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

My biggest takeaway was we should have won... many many many times.

2nd biggest takeaway is let's run the dang ball or attempt it like we did in the 1st series. I think we have most of the guys we need to run the ball and I really think Singletary might be our best RB in a long time.

that gimmick-led 1st series is not going to be duplicated against a good opponent the rest of the game

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a rare NFL QB these days who is out there winging it because he "didn't like the look".  Maybe Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady have that authority.  Pretty safe bet at this point in a playoff game, Allen does not.

A QB usually has a specific, coached checklist of defensive looks that are specified for him: "audible out of this pass play if you see this"

A QB also doesn't just audible from one play into some random play.  He has a specific run play specified to call in those circumstances.

So, who called the pass play that had the specific checklist of defensive looks Allen saw, and specified that run play as the response to them?

I'll hang up and wait.

All I'm saying is that the first option was supposed to be a pass play from what I read. The second play was a run play. Maybe it should have been a different pass play; I don't know. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

All I'm saying is that the first option was supposed to be a pass play from what I read. The second play was a run play. Maybe it should have been a different pass play; I don't know. 

No, that's not all you're saying.  You said "The Gore run was a pass play that Allen audibled out of because he didn't like the look. Don't blame the coaches for that one."

The pretty clear implication was that the coaches are not responsible for the Gore play call.  My point is that the coaches define all sorts of things for their QBs, including what defensive reads should lead to an audible, and what the audible play call should be.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll hang up and wait.

Likely in that situation he is given a package and the kill just moves on to the next play. It's not as if he's just calling his shot out there.

And when you look at the personnel grouping you can see Morse ID the mike and Allen scan to count DBs, sees that Texans were in nickel so it's a logical check that is likely built into the progression presnap. As far as the play itself goes, to me it looks like if Smith and Williams don't get their blocks confused Gore has a chance of breaking one. 

Still don't like the playcall but the reason it was run has more to do with Daboll than Allen imo

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, thebandit27 said:

I watched it several times.

There are about 10 different critical plays that the Bills easily could’ve made, and didn’t, that resulted in that loss. Just off the top of my head:

- Smoke drags his foot on a 3rd down sideline pass and we’ve got 1st and goal at the 3 instead of a FG attempt to go up 10

- Duke drops a TD pass that hit both hands, so instead of 17-0 it’s 13-0

- Ford whiffs badly on Watt and gets Allen sacked before he can hit the inside target (think it was Beasley—EDIT: it was Knox coming open at the 5 for a 1st down, not a TD), so it’s 16-0 instead of (possibly) 20-0

- Josh fumbles away the ball giving Houston their best field position of the day

- Siran Neal drops an easy pick-6 that probably ices the game

- Ford/Morse/Knox miss the easy block on Cunningham that probably leads Josh inside the 30 (at least) for a GW FG

- Ford takes a PF penalty negating a chance for a GW 54-yard FG

- Brutal execution on the 3rd and 18 in OT

- Two defenders can’t tackle Watson on 2nd and 6, which leads to Taiwan Jones’ GW RAC

And those are just our mistakes, don’t look at all the bad calls the officials made in that game. 

This is definitely a game we should’ve won.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, that's not all you're saying.  You said "The Gore run was a pass play that Allen audibled out of because he didn't like the look. Don't blame the coaches for that one."

The pretty clear implication was that the coaches are not responsible for the Gore play call.  My point is that the coaches define all sorts of things for their QBs, including what defensive reads should lead to an audible, and what the audible play call should be.

Um ... they had a pass play in and he shifted to a second option. The first option was the main play. I mean, I suppose you're technically right, but it's just as likely that Allen misread the play (we'll never know) and/or had a brainlock regarding the time left. The time management was ALL on him, and he had a number of brainlocks that day. The right thing to do was not to shift to GoreFail plunge. Throw it away if necessary and give yourself two more plays. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... they had a pass play in and he shifted to a second option. The first option was the main play. I mean, I suppose you're technically right, but it's just as likely that Allen misread the play (we'll never know) and/or had a brainlock regarding the time left. The time management was ALL on him, and he had a number of brainlocks that day. The right thing to do was not to shift to GoreFail plunge. Throw it away if necessary and give yourself two more plays. 

I'm not arguing about the "right thing to do", I'm pointing out that I'm not "technically right", that's the way modern playcalling works.

See also GoBills808 explanation, right on the money as far as I can tell.

Daboll was NOT good at time management/playcalling in tight game situations last season.  In post-game or Monday pressers when McDermott references an "Operational issue" that's what he means.  One reason Daboll moved to the booth was an attempt to address this, and it's still not solved.