Has anyone bothered to take a second look at the WCPG against Houston?

njbuff

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

And Ford. In fact, I’ll go as far as saying that if Nsekhe didn’t re-injure his leg, he’s probably the RT on that play and we go to Baltimore.

I personally think it was mostly on Knox. And the most frustrating thing is that he nailed this same exact block on the first drive to spring Allen. He even gets a shoulder on that LB and our bills are moving on. I may seriously be getting sick to my stomach right now just thinking about it. 

no joke here... I’ve woken up in the middle of the night to get a drink or take a leak.... randomly thought of that play, and not been able to fall back asleep. More than once.... In fact now that I’ve brought it up again I probably won’t be able to get to sleep tonight as well. 

and as far as rewatching? Not a chance. I deleted it from my DVR the very next morning. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

11 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I personally think it was mostly on Knox. And the most frustrating thing is that he nailed this same exact block on the first drive to spring Allen.

I am a big Knox fan.  Love the kid and his potential.  But his glaring weakness, in catching and blocking execution, is consistency.  I have faith in the kid that he'll tighten it up.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hopefully this debacle was just a bump in the road of much bigger things to come.

And after re-watching it, Allen did play a heck of game. Of course, he made a few bad plays (the pitch and Roby's pick 6), but overall he was very good.

A potential 8 points were left on the table with Brown's failure to skirt the sidelines and Duke not hauling in a perfect pass in the end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am a big Knox fan.  Love the kid and his potential.  But his glaring weakness, in catching and blocking execution, is consistency.  I have faith in the kid that he'll tighten it up.

I'm in the same camp. To me he is best TE prospect the Bills have ever had. He has the combination of size and speed to be every bit as good as Whiten, Kelce, and  Kittle. I don't think he will be elite like Gronk or Gonzalez but he can be perennial ProBowl level player. He just needs to learn the NFL game. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Hopefully this debacle was just a bump in the road of much bigger things to come.

And after re-watching it, Allen did play a heck of game. Of course, he made a few bad plays (the pitch and Roby's pick 6), but overall he was very good.

A potential 8 points were left on the table with Brown's failure to skirt the sidelines and Duke not hauling in a perfect pass in the end zone.

He made some exorcist-level "spin your head around" throws (look at the one to Williams at ~3 min and one about 5:20 to Singletary to go with a couple um, "WTF?" moments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Did you leave early after the pick-6 after halftime? 

Never left.  I was with a friend who wanted to leave but I couldn't even if I wanted to (which I didn't since I learned never to leave a game after I left the famous Joe Ferguson comeback game & heard the cheers in the parking lot).  When he suggested we leave I told him not only no way, but my friend who I was driving back to Albany was in another part of the stadium & I wasn't going to go down to his seats & suggest he leave early.  Finally I told my friend next to me if he wanted to, I'd give him my car keys & he could sit in my car until the game ended.  He declined the offer & every time the Bills scored I waved the car keys at him & asked him "do you want to leave now?"  Finally after I did it a few times he called it "The key to victory".  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

This is a nightmare that I will soon like to forget.  Of all the plays this is the one that if made erases all the ughhhs in that game.

I'm pretty sure if 538 assessed down, distance, yard line, and game situation, and took into account the instant this image was taken, they'd probably give the Bills a 99% chance of winning the game. Ugh.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/7/2020 at 8:44 AM, thebandit27 said:

I watched it several times.

There are about 10 different critical plays that the Bills easily could’ve made, and didn’t, that resulted in that loss. Just off the top of my head:

- Smoke drags his foot on a 3rd down sideline pass and we’ve got 1st and goal at the 3 instead of a FG attempt to go up 10

- Duke drops a TD pass that hit both hands, so instead of 17-0 it’s 13-0

- Ford whiffs badly on Watt and gets Allen sacked before he can hit the inside target (think it was Beasley—EDIT: it was Knox coming open at the 5 for a 1st down, not a TD), so it’s 16-0 instead of (possibly) 20-0

- Josh fumbles away the ball giving Houston their best field position of the day

- Siran Neal drops an easy pick-6 that probably ices the game

- Ford/Morse/Knox miss the easy block on Cunningham that probably leads Josh inside the 30 (at least) for a GW FG

- Ford takes a PF penalty negating a chance for a GW 54-yard FG

- Brutal execution on the 3rd and 18 in OT

- Two defenders can’t tackle Watson on 2nd and 6, which leads to Taiwan Jones’ GW RAC

All big missed plays but the big 3 for me were:

1. The 3 stooges missing the block

2. The double whiff on the Watson sack

3. Siran Wrap's dropped pick 6

....and dishonorable mention goes to the conservative coaching after 16-0. If they continue to apply this strategy we might make the playoffs but we'll never go deep.....

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All big missed plays but the big 3 for me were:

1. The 3 stooges missing the block

2. The double whiff on the Watson sack

3. Siran Wrap's dropped pick 6

....and dishonorable mention goes to the conservative coaching after 16-0. If they continue to apply this strategy we might make the playoffs but we'll never go deep.....

McDermott is all about getting his team to play as near perfect football as possible.  He's on track.  I do t think he expected the 2019 be there yet, and the lost opportunities in that game were the evidence. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really admire what McDermott's done overall here with the Bills in three years.  But I think the one thing maybe should have been done differently was play a full week 17 game against the Jets with the starters.  It's like they weren't conditioned to play the second half in the Texans game 

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Never left.  I was with a friend who wanted to leave but I couldn't even if I wanted to (which I didn't since I learned never to leave a game after I left the famous Joe Ferguson comeback game & heard the cheers in the parking lot).  When he suggested we leave I told him not only no way, but my friend who I was driving back to Albany was in another part of the stadium & I wasn't going to go down to his seats & suggest he leave early.  Finally I told my friend next to me if he wanted to, I'd give him my car keys & he could sit in my car until the game ended.  He declined the offer & every time the Bills scored I waved the car keys at him & asked him "do you want to leave now?"  Finally after I did it a few times he called it "The key to victory".  

Big thumbs up—what a great story! One of the best days as a Bills fan ever, for sure 

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

McDermott is all about getting his team to play as near perfect football as possible.  He's on track.  I do t think he expected the 2019 be there yet, and the lost opportunities in that game were the evidence. 

13 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Really admire what McDermott's done overall here with the Bills in three years.  But I think the one thing maybe should have been done differently was play a full week 17 game against the Jets with the starters.  It's like they weren't conditioned to play the second half in the Texans game 

There's no denying McDermott is the best coach we've had since Levy. And I am very grateful that he and Brandon are running this team. But there are a few small cracks in his armor that concern me. The biggest one that he's exhibited throughout his time in Buffalo is his propensity to conservatively "sit on leads". I know he's a defensive guy but he will have to be willing to continue attacking offensively with leads, if he wants to take the Bills to the next level. He choose Daboll, so any offensive issues will have to be closely monitored by him. As HC it's all on you!

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/7/2020 at 2:40 PM, All_Pro_Bills said:

On the play you're referring to if you watch again you may come to the conclusion that, while admitting the Bills botched the blocking assignments, the Texans defender launched into Allen with helmet to helmet contact.  In most cases that's a personal foul but I guess the refs were holding onto their flags to throw for that blindside block.  Although on Watson's 2 pt conversation an offensive player peeled back and hit Edmunds in the same way.  Watch that one too.  Called on us, not called on them.

I thoughts the Bills lost the game and it was their's to win.  Fyi.

However, my biggest take away on that play. was the blatant hit to the head.  I was surprised there was no flag for that.  More importantly to the end result of the game wasn't the "no" flag, IMO.  I think Allen was concussed and making bad decisions due to  the hit which didn't help us at all.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's no denying McDermott is the best coach we've had since Levy. And I am very grateful that he and Brandon are running this team. But there are a few small cracks in his armor that concern me. The biggest one that he's exhibited throughout his time in Buffalo is his propensity to conservatively "sit on leads". I know he's a defensive guy but he will have to be willing to continue attacking offensively with leads, if he wants to take the Bills to the next level. He choose Daboll, so any offensive issues will have to be closely monitored by him. As HC it's all on you!

Wade is still the best since Marv, with McDermott getting up there

52 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Wade is still the best since Marv, with McDermott getting up there

Bum would've had the stones to stand up to Ralph, but Wade didn't.  I'll stick Wade in 3rd and leave him there. Sean and Brandon have an opportunity to do what Marv & Bill did. It will be exciting to watch.