Better Owner - Terry Pegula (Sabres) or Ralph Wilson (Bills)?

Better Owner - Terry Pegula (Sabres) or Ralph Wilson?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better Buffalo owner

• Ralph Wilson (Bills)
    • Terry Pegula (Sabres)

it’s a quiet time on the Bills front, so I had an idea to have what should be an interesting poll.  

I don’t follow the Sabres too closely but I’ve been taken back at how hopeless the fanbase feels about the franchise...namely Terry Pegula.  Fans are heavily blaming Pegula for the Sabres failures in the same way that many of us blamed Ralph back in the day.   People are pissed at Pegula, and the fanbase seems pretty bleak 

Who in your opinion was the better owner - Ralph Wilson with the Bills  or Terry Pegula as Sabres Owner?

Or course, the sample size is limited but it’s an interesting question.  

If we are talking NFL, I think you could say that what Terry has done over the past 6 years has been better than what Ralph accomplished over his decade of ownership.  

But you have to factor in Terry the owner of the Bills and Sabres.  With the Bills he made a few mistakes for sure (hiring Rex Ryan/not firing Doug Whaley) but the organization appears to be in a very stable spot.  The Sabres are an entirely different story.  Much like the Bills, the Sabres have been held back by a lack of vision, poor decisions and turnover at GM/HC....just like the Drought teams.   Worse - they’ve lost A LOT and failed to make the playoffs for an unusually long time.  

You can also argue that Terry, like Ralph, empowered the wrong people, hired leaders without a vision or without knowledge or ability how to carry out that vision, and that he held onto to those leaders for too long.

This is a tough question for me... Because both of their tenures have been very unremarkable.  I might have to give a slight edge to Terry only because he at least tried to be proactive in hiring different GM’s and coaches when things weren’t working.  Terry also doesn’t seem to be happy with losing.  He’s also tried to reach outside the organization to hire.  

Ralph tended to keep bad people in power for a very long time until it was obvious they needed to go.  Ever since he fired Donahoe, he spend an nearly entire only hiring people he had previously known. 

24 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

it’s a quiet time on the Bills front, so I had an idea to have what should be an interesting poll.  

I don’t follow the Sabres too closely but I’ve been taken back at how hopeless the fanbase feels about the franchise...namely Terry Pegula.  Fans are heavily blaming Pegula for the Sabres failures in the same way that many of us blamed Ralph back in the day.   People are pissed at Pegula, and the fanbase seems pretty bleak 

Who in your opinion was the better owner - Ralph Wilson with the Bills  or Terry Pegula as Sabres Owner?

Or course, the sample size is limited but it’s an interesting question.  

If we are talking NFL, I think you could say that what Terry has done over the past 6 years has been better than what Ralph accomplished over his decade of ownership.  

But you have to factor in Terry the owner of the Bills and Sabres.  With the Bills he made a few mistakes for sure (hiring Rex Ryan/not firing Doug Whaley) but the organization appears to be in a very stable spot.  The Sabres are an entirely different story.  Much like the Bills, the Sabres have been held back by a lack of vision, poor decisions and turnover at GM/HC....just like the Drought teams.   Worse - they’ve lost A LOT and failed to make the playoffs for an unusually long time.  

You can also argue that Terry, like Ralph, empowered the wrong people, hired leaders without a vision or without knowledge or ability how to carry out that vision, and that he held onto to those leaders for too long.

This is a tough question for me... Because both of their tenures have been very unremarkable.  I might have to give a slight edge to Terry only because he at least tried to be proactive in hiring different GM’s and coaches when things weren’t working.  Terry also doesn’t seem to be happy with losing.  He’s also tried to reach outside the organization to hire.  

Ralph tended to keep bad people in power for a very long time until it was obvious they needed to go.  Ever since he fired Donahoe, he spend an nearly entire only hiring people he had previously known. 

Good afternoon.

I read your post.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People may disagree, but I think that we are lucky to have Pegula as the Sabres owner.  It is taking him a LONG time to figure it out, but he will eventually get it right, just as he did with the Bills.  He is willing to commit whatever resources are necessary to be successful, but he just has not been able to get the right people in place - players, coaches and management.  I think they might finally have the right coach and management in place, and a few core players, but they need to strengthen the middle of the lineup.  They have good 1st line and 4th line players, but terrible 2nd and 3rd liners.  Years bad drafting and Murray trading away draft picks and assets to accelerate the rebuild is the cause.  Of course, Botterill can't be let off the hook for the O'Reilly trade, but if Ryan wanted out of town, perhaps Jason's hand was forced and he got the best the market would bear.  Maybe Tage develops into a 1st or 2nd line player (I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see) and the trade doesn't look so bad down the road.  I'm still on board with Terry & Kim.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Ralph was cheap, Terry has given the Sabres everything he can financially. They just suck 

Ralph was so cheap he made OJ Simpson the highest paid player in the 70s

Jimbo the highest paid in the 80s.

The early 90s Bills were called the million dollar bills because how much money Ralph threw around

In the 2000s he made Derrick Dockery the 3rd highest paid guard OF ALL TIME

He gave Mario 100 million 

He have Dareus 100 million

You have no clue about cheap and you should feel bad for bashing the SINGLE PERSON who kept us here for 50+ years

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I don't know if you can compare Ralph Wilson to Terry/Kim Pegula. Terry and Kim haven't been owners all that long.

If I were grading the Pegula's on their own I would give them a C-. They get a B for the Bills since they got it right with Beane/McDermott.

They get a F for the Sabres. No other way to say this but the Sabres continue to be a train wreck.

As for Ralph Wilson he did a lot of great things for the league starting back in the AFL days. He did bring football to Buffalo and made sure they

stayed after his passing. He wasn't a great owner as far as the wins and losses. Highlights for his teams were the back to back AFL championships.

The early 80's Knox teams, and of course the Super Bowl years. Aside from that there was a ton of losing. I would grade him a C/C+ overall. JMHO

Ralph took the Bills to two AFL championships and four superbowl appearances, and he's a hall of fame owner. Until Pegula accomplishes something with the Sabres (or the Bills) how can we make claims that he's a better owner?

I think Pegula has the Bills on the right track. I have no idea about the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

I’m not sure how to even compare these two. 

Ralph made some mistakes particularly towards the end ... perhaps his biggest was trusting Brandon too much. Being fiscally conservative while oft derided might be the very reason the Bills were able to stay put and remain a viable business in Buffalo. 

Seems Pegula got it right with Sean and Beane, after a big, biiiig mistake with Rex.  

on the Sabres, I can’t help but think the entire scouting staff and front office are putting really crappy rosters together and they better fix this soon, they are badly squandering prime Eichel years they will never get back. Would love to know why these guys can look unbeatable in October then devolve to a flaming pile of dog poop for the rest of the year. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ralph was so cheap he made OJ Simpson the highest paid player in the 70s

Jimbo the highest paid in the 80s.

The early 90s Bills were called the million dollar bills because how much money Ralph threw around

In the 2000s he made Derrick Dockery the 3rd highest paid guard OF ALL TIME

He gave Mario 100 million 

He have Dareus 100 million

You have no clue about cheap and you should feel bad for bashing the SINGLE PERSON who kept us here for 50+ years

Lighten up Francis! I feel great I got you to go crazy writing a double spaced rant. Have a nice day

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I wonder how @Rico will vote.

Unfortunately it is a private vote, or I would appropriately and accordingly label each and every poster who selected Ralph for future reference. :D

Edited by Rico
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Without Ralph Wilson we wouldn't have a team for Terry Pegula to buy.

Not relevant to the question asked. 

Ralph did some good things, but screwed the pooch the majority of the time. It was under his management that the team acquired the bad reputation that the current  team is still trying to shed. 

50 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Nothing against Ralph but he was, for the long haul, never nearly as committed as Terry & Kim.  He "settled" for Buffalo as an AFL franchise location.  Ralph mostly lived in Detroit. 

The Pegula's have been woeful on-ice and on-field stewards..........but they are absolutely committed to winning.

Ralph was NEVER committed to winning..........he wanted to win and if he thought he might he'd spend........and if he thought he might not he'd cut bait and try to beat his fellow owners in the net profit game.  More often than not it was the latter.   Either way was fine to him.

We are going thru a long, painful learning curve with The Pegs......(I know some of you are thrilled with the Bills being competitive but overall it's like 2 fringe playoff teams in 15 seasons of ownership Bills/Sabres)......hopefully in the end it turns out like the Rooney ownership went in Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1