No more Jerry Sullivan radio show (but now Podcast!)

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Incorrect. He was let go because king Terry took exception to his critiques of the bills and threatened financial retribution to theBN.  Now, if you’re cool with wealthy owners influencing media coverage, then you do you.. I’ll pass on that.

We had a long contentious thread on this point at the time with a lot of hot (and a lot of bad) takes.  I have to say, this looks like one of the latter.

It seems to be a verifiable fact that the loss of Sabres program-printing and other outside printing income controlled by the Pegulas preceded TBN mass "buyout" offer in time, and the printing income did not return afterwards.  I assume that's what you're referring to.  Income that's gone, and won't return, makes a poor "threat of financial retribution".  Fredonia journalism professor Elmer Ploetz fed the "fired" and "wealthy owners influencing" narrative with an opinion piece in The Daily Public.  One day later, he had to "walk that back":    In the previous column about the News, I brought up the possibility of outside pressure having an effect on the sports decisions. Sources from inside the paper have told me that isn’t the case; the News had the printing contract for Sabres programs and lost it (and the hundreds of thousands of dollars of income it brought each year) in the past few years. That isn’t expected to be coming back.

To make a definitive statement about "threatened financial retribution" that's been debunked by people in the know seems irresponsible.  It's also fact that Gleason and Sullivan weren't actually fired (the union would prevent this).  At that same time, many TBN employees were reassigned to other roles and/or offered buyouts.  Gleason and Sullivan were asked to accept reassignment to different roles; they didn't wish to accept those roles and give up their columns so they took buyouts.  Their choice.   I've been there myself: employer is reorganizing, I'm offered a new role that better meets my employer's new priorities but is less desirable to me personally (maybe even seen as a demotion): I can choose to take it, or to resign.  That's life.

The fact is: print media around the country is struggling to adapt to the Online Age.  My parents read the paper morning and evening.  I won't have a print newspaper in the house - it's a tree-killing recycling problem to me.   I do subscribe to online publications I value, on the theory that if I'm not paying for product, I AM the product.

A side effect of the Online Age is the wealth of feedback available to editors, especially where the reader must log in.  The Athletic can tell that I read articles by certain reporters more often, and more often rate them "excellent" or "solid", while others I rate "solid" or "meh".  If a clear pattern emerges, the editor will undoubtedly provide that feedback to the reporters, try to drill into the basis, and perhaps move the publication in a different direction - due to that reader feedback or market research.  The Buffalo News, Same.

One can't exclude the idea that the Pegulas exerted some form of pressure, but one also can't exclude the possibility that the reason Sullivan and Gleason had their columns canceled is exactly as stated: feedback from the desired customer base (online subscribers) or market research about potential online customers indicated lack of interest in their point of view which IMO had degraded to hackneyed negativity of a quality epitomized by Sullivan's quickly debunked "lousy press box breakfast" tweet.

There is an old-time news viewpoint that has truth to it: that media have a duty to the public to present a balanced point of view, even if unpopular at the moment.  Intrinsically, it casts the writers, editors, and publishers in a parental role, with the readers as children who should be fed the Spinach of truth, even if they prefer sugar.  Clearly facts and truth are important to present in issues pertaining to the public good: spending of public money, domestic and foreign policy, infrastructure, political corruption.  This is a problem for the online age where editorial decisions may be driven far more directly by subscriber feedback than was once the case, and it's yet to be solved.

But to imply that standard should be applied to journalists writing opinion columns in general, and sports opinion columns in particular, seems like a looooooong stretch.  Furthermore, if it were true as Ploetz stated in link above that "as newspeople, they know that for every person complaining about Sully, there were probably five more waiting to hear what he had to say after every Bills game and to either agree or disagree with it" one would expect that those "five more" people would have flocked to the Niagara Gazette and his show on 1270 The Fan and made them successful.

If that had happened, this thread wouldn't exist.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Unfortunately, I think many”fans” would prefer a program where the hosts and callers say nothing but “”GO BILLS WOOHOO” and discuss their face painting techniques and which jersey they should wear on game day ... 

You're undoubtedly correct, many would.  Undoubtedly many fans would also prefer a program where there is nothing but criticism.  Apparently enough of these latter did not patronize the Sully show, therefore it met its demise.

My guess is that most fans are in-between and prefer programs that are neither Murphy homer nor Sully negative, but present different viewpoints and both praise and blame as deserved.  I put this board up as evidence.  I think people come here because we are not a homer, GO BILLS WOOHOO board with nothing but positive viewpoints.  That doesn't mean we welcome overthetop, unrelenting criticism without any substance behind it, but the fact that negative points of view and criticism are allowed is part of what gives it interest.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I care not a jot about hockey but I have heard a couple of WGR segments the last few weeks where they have been ripping the Sabres and ripping, very directly, the Pegulas for the mess. 

The Sabres are the biggest mess in north american pro sports.......they make the NY Knicks look like they have a plan.......and trust me the response to that in recent years has been muted to say the least.

If you are just looking at the past two weeks...........since fans started losing their minds..........then OK......but it came to a head for a reason.

And that's what happens when teams can essentially decide who in the local media covers them.

And trust me........I don't care about hockey at this point either.........but if the other stations are on commercial and I switch over to "The Instigators" I want to hear some discussion about how to fix the problem not the lame bullsh*t they ACTUALLY talk about.

I get why die-hard Sabres fans are pissed...........if the Bills were this bad there would be much more in-depth discussion of the matter but the Sabres are second banana in town and if you are working in the media being appropriately critical of the Sabres has not been worth the risk of losing access to Pegula teams.

If you can't understand that conflict of interest then I don't know what to tell you.........I don't follow kickball so I don't know how your sports teams affect the media in GB.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Sabres are the biggest mess in north american pro sports.......they make the NY Knicks look like they have a plan.......and trust me the response to that in recent years has been muted to say the least.

If you are just looking at the past two weeks...........since fans started losing their minds..........then OK......but it came to a head for a reason.

And that's what happens when teams can essentially decide who in the local media covers them.

And trust me........I don't care about hockey at this point either.........but if the other stations are on commercial and I switch over to "The Instigators" I want to hear some discussion about how to fix the problem not the lame bullsh*t they ACTUALLY talk about.

I get why die-hard Sabres fans are pissed...........if the Bills were this bad there would be much more in-depth discussion of the matter but the Sabres are second banana in town and if you are working in the media being appropriately critical of the Sabres has not been worth the risk of losing access to Pegula teams.

If you can't understand that conflict of interest then I don't know what to tell you.........I don't follow kickball so I don't know how your sports teams affect the media in GB.

I was once kicked out of a Man City press conference for asking a question the manager didn't want to answer :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@PromoTheRobotNo more Jerry Sullivan radio show

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Had the misfortune of meeting Jerry and playing basketball with him in late 80s early 90s.  Bad player, hack and whiner.  And those were his good traits.

Can't even imagine him on the golf course!  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Unfortunately, I think many”fans” would prefer a program where the hosts and callers say nothing but “”GO BILLS WOOHOO” and discuss their face painting techniques and which jersey they should wear on game day ... 

I had to laugh at this, because IMO there's a direct parallel to THIS FORUM, in that it's mostly like that in here too. I got suspended for a week for voicing an opinion that simply went against the blinders-wearing homers' majority. LOL

1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

I had to laugh at this, because IMO there's a direct parallel to THIS FORUM, in that it's mostly like that in here too. I got suspended for a week for voicing an opinion that simply went against the blinders-wearing homers' majority. LOL

Dude, when you don't tell it straight about the reason the moderator in question banned you, it kind of worries one that you weren't able to understand or accept it.

Hint: it was not for "voicing an opinion that simply went against the blinders-wearing homers' majority LOL"

Gentle Reminder from our TOS that doesn't apply to this post, but that did imply then:

Do NOT post Personal "crusades" (posting the same information/opinion in an excessively repetitive manner. We want posters to share opinions not bludgeon others to death with them.)

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Sabres are the biggest mess in north american pro sports.......

It's actually not a subject I'm too interested in debating, but objectively, I"m not sure that's a defensible position. 

Here's one article from 3 years ago, which had the Sabres at 20 out of 30 teams.  Right now Sabres are what, #25 out of 31 teams?

(....)

(....)

if you are working in the media being appropriately critical of the Sabres has not been worth the risk of losing access to Pegula teams.

If you can't understand that conflict of interest then I don't know what to tell you.........

I guess I'm wondering what teams don't influence media access at least to some degree?

When I listen to, say, Ravens or Pitts or NE or Rams (when they were StL) I don't exactly hear a lot of hard-hitting contentiousness in the questions

In fact for most of them, my first thought was "Wow, those media guys are really well behaved and milquetoast" vs Bills pressers.

Also, are there actually known instances of the Pegula teams refusing to credential a media member from a legit media outlet?

I believe they refused to credential Erik Turner of Cover1 but that wasn't for being "critical"

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, when you don't tell it straight about the reason the moderator in question banned you, it kind of worries one that you weren't able to understand or accept it.

Hint: it was not for "voicing an opinion that simply went against the blinders-wearing homers' majority LOL"

Gentle Reminder from our TOS that doesn't apply to this post, but that did imply then:

Do NOT post Personal "crusades" (posting the same information/opinion in an excessively repetitive manner. We want posters to share opinions not bludgeon others to death with them.)

Wow Dude, you just won't quit, will you?

I posted my opinion ONE TIME in a thread, but I prefaced it by saying "As I've said many times before in these forums...." I was just elaborating that I'm consistent.

JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY WHO POSTS IN THESE FORUMS INEVITABLY WILL POST THE "SAME" OPINION, OVER TIME, IN DIFFERENT THREADS, JUST LIKE I DID. It literally happens ALL THE TIME, every day. It was not "excessive", but rather, it was an opinion that most homers disagreed with, and one of the moderators too. That moderator also called it "spam", which was laughable and totally nonsensical.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's actually not a subject I'm too interested in debating, but objectively, I"m not sure that's a defensible position. 

Here's one article from 3 years ago, which had the Sabres at 20 out of 30 teams.  Right now Sabres are what, #25 out of 31 teams?

They've missed the playoffs 8 straight years in the NHL.............that's putting it kindly they have easily been the worst team in the sport over that period...........and in year 9 of their rebuild they find themselves 25th and falling while having the 3rd worst cap situation...........yeah it's a very defensible situation to call them the biggest mess in NA pro sports.

7 hours ago, freddyjj said:

@PromoTheRobotNo more Jerry Sullivan radio show

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Had the misfortune of meeting Jerry and playing basketball with him in late 80s early 90s.  Bad player, hack and whiner.  And those were his good traits.

Can't even imagine him on the golf course!  ?

Were you involved with the Buffalo Bills Charity games with TBN?  Know anything about the story Janine Talley told about Kent Hull and Darryl Talley playing Jerry Sullivan?

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

@Hapless Bills Fan sorry was not part of those.  

So the story told was that in the mid-80s, Darryl Talley was incensed by Jerry Sullivan's description of him as "finally improving towards the level of mediocrity"in his post-season column. 

His revenge was that when the Bills played TBN for a charity basketball game, he pre-arranged with Kent Hull to set picks on him.  So he and Kent would basically work Jerry over.

• Haha (+1) 1