No more Jerry Sullivan radio show (but now Podcast!)

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

That’s too bad, because to be fair Sully had a good radio show.  He always brought on good guests and like him or not, it was another opinion where you could get Bills coverage.  

It was pretty apparent that no one was listening.  They’d plug the phone line and literally no one would call.  

I guess it's one of these "your mileage may vary" things on the "good radio show".  I listened once, and could NOT bring myself to listen again. 

I'll spare you the list of things I'd rather have done, but it was extensive and piquant.  Now I grant you, he did not approach my personal nadir, which is "rather clean a bus station bathroom...by licking it".  But that's kind of a low bar, you'll agree.

Sounds like his brand kept listeners away. He was fired by TBN because readers were tired of him. Unfortunately for him, the same readers he alienated are his target audience. By all accounts he seems to be a decent guy - the rest of the Buffalo media personalities really like him. But his brand of "I'm going to be controversial to get attention and mask it by claiming I'm speaking truth to power" is so old and people just aren't interested anymore. 

Edited by ndirish1978

I like listening to sullivan or graham on the radio.  Gotta say though, it wasnt a habit to tune in.

The format on wgr is just so repetitive and spans years.  Other local sports shows are refreshing, and they also tend to dive more into other realms besides the sabres and bills.  Ub, canisius, niagara, st bona, bandits, nba, etc...  

Sully is an tool, he is right that there needs to be more sports talk options, but that's what pod casts are for.... There isn't gonna be a sports radio station to take on WGR with how Radio conglomerates work now a days.  

Sully ain't the guy to do it either way... He's a negative bitter old.man who was rightfully put out to pasture by the news and has been unable to find a gig because he's a hack. If he were worth a damn, he would've been courted by the Athletic or another reporting outlet.  With his years of experience he would be an asset if he weren't an asshat. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Why do you think this?

My daughter goes to UM. Have been there to visit her. This may be anecdotal, but from what I have personally seen/heard, Spanish is the #1 language down there. So yes, if you did a radio show, it’d probably be a good idea to do it in the most commonly used language in your listening area.

50 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Sully is an tool, he is right that there needs to be more sports talk options, but that's what pod casts are for.... There isn't gonna be a sports radio station to take on WGR with how Radio conglomerates work now a days.  

Sully ain't the guy to do it either way... He's a negative bitter old.man who was rightfully put out to pasture by the news and has been unable to find a gig because he's a hack. If he were worth a damn, he would've been courted by the Athletic or another reporting outlet.  With his years of experience he would be an asset if he weren't an asshat. 

Woaoaoh! but Truth Hurts.

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Sully was too honest for Bills fans.

You mean like the honest when Sully tweeted a picture of a tray of mini-bagels and a complaint about the meagre press box food at New Era, which was promptly followed up by another member of the media (less honest, no doubt) tweeting a picture of a full spread featuring hot chafing dishes, other pastries, etc .... and showing the mini-bagels were one tray, positioned at the end of a large spread?

Or how about the honesty when Sully wrote a column excoriating the Bills as foolish for failing to extend Fitzpatrick when he got off to a hot start and the Bills were 5-2 - then later ripping them for their stupidity in extending him prematurely after the Bills finished 6-10?  That kind of honest?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I mean..........in particular in the case of the Sabres...........what a hopeless sh*t show.......on their way to missing the playoffs for 9 straight seasons in a league FULL of mismanaged teams.......it defies explanation that owners of an NFL franchise can't make headway in that bush league.

And yet the people at the station can't really afford to real-talk it.     Can't blame them their jobs are on the line and after 9 years what can you say that's worth that risk?

At the same time.........there are plenty of other places outside of radio to discuss the futility of Buffalo sports.

The WGR guys fully recognize and lament the state of the Sabres. No doubt. I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. 

OBL is a different beast all together. Murph and Tasker are employed by the Bills directly. And broadcast on WGR. It's different than the radio hosts.

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

“Lack of financial support” means that lack of ad revenues could no longer justify Cumulus Media’s continued payment of the production costs associated with the show. 

Cumulus Media shows WHLD 1270 as one of their stations. Are they in turn owned by iHeart?

Right, so my guess is that Sully didn’t make much of a difference to their ad revenue.  They probably figured they could pull a similar rating and advertising rates with Bobby Rosati or using national content from ESPN radio 

43 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The WGR guys fully recognize and lament the state of the Sabres. No doubt. I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. 

OBL is a different beast all together. Murph and Tasker are employed by the Bills directly. And broadcast on WGR. It's different than the radio hosts.

Murphy is employed by the Bills..........but since WGR is the flagship station of both the Bills AND Sabres there is a conflict for all............and I am not really sure lament is the proper reaction to a decade of incompetence.  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I understand all of this.  But I sincerely doubt that it's a "requirement to speak Spanish - Cuban dialect," in order to secure a gig on sports radio.  It was a clear swing and whiff (i.e. - unfunny "joke") that I think is offensive.  Offensive enough to report?  Not at all.  I asked a simple question to him and I've received two responses from others defending  him.  You're discussing the language barrier in a serious manner; the other poster wasn't.  I think there's a big difference.

Sounds like he’s really hates Lebatard. 

6 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m sure most in here will regale us with their wit in bashing Sullivan .... having said that, his program was salty at times as one would expect, but he was rather complimentary of the bills most of the time, he had excellent guests on a daily basis, and he gave other sports, both major and minor, coverage .... truth was, his program was often more interesting than the White/Simon program and the Irritators hockey show 

How dare you! Stick to the group think we like around here.

The only human worse than Jerry Sullivan is Mike Schopp!

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

He writes for the Niagara Gazette now.

His grammar is a lot better than yours.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Murphy is employed by the Bills..........but since WGR is the flagship station of both the Bills AND Sabres there is a conflict for all............and I am not really sure lament is the proper reaction to a decade of incompetence.  

I care not a jot about hockey but I have heard a couple of WGR segments the last few weeks where they have been ripping the Sabres and ripping, very directly, the Pegulas for the mess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Sounds like his brand kept listeners away. He was fired by TBN because readers were tired of him. Unfortunately for him, the same readers he alienated are his target audience. By all accounts he seems to be a decent guy - the rest of the Buffalo media personalities really like him. But his brand of "I'm going to be controversial to get attention and mask it by claiming I'm speaking truth to power" is so old and people just aren't interested anymore. 

Incorrect. He was let go because king Terry took exception to his critiques of the bills and threatened financial retribution to theBN.  Now, if you’re cool with wealthy owners influencing media coverage, then you do you.. I’ll pass on that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Unfortunately, I think many”fans” would prefer a program where the hosts and callers say nothing but “”GO BILLS WOOHOO” and discuss their face painting techniques and which jersey they should wear on game day ...