No more Jerry Sullivan radio show (but now Podcast!)

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I understand Miami has a shortage of sports radio people.

He could go to Florida, semi-retire and reuse the cliches he used to bash Fitzpatrick.

I think there is a requirement though to speak Spanish, Cuban dialect.

Feed him to Lebatard who dominates that market

43 minutes ago, SDS said:

we only really have two sports teams right now. They have a hard enough time filling the air with worthwhile content, let alone a whole separate station. 

Sometimes you need differing opinions though. With WGR having deals to cover or broadcast for those teams, many times they on air people have to have certain views of the team or they lose their deal. Having another station that isn't being paid by the franchise helps give other opinions outside of 'everything is great!'

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know if that also means no more Tim Graham show either.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/06/jerry-sullivans-radio-show-ends-its-run/

Jerry Jerry Jerry .... they might not have explained this, but if anyone listened, there would probably not be a lack of financial support.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

For my own edification, can someone clarify something please:

Is "lack of financial support" a euphemism for "cancelled due to bad ratings" or do shows like that typically buy their own radio time, like an infomercial type arrangement & then are responsible for procuring their own support?

There are such programs, where the host buys time for whatever vanity project they have. But I'm pretty sure Sully was an employee of iHeart Radio, the owners of WHLD The Fan 1270.  If you've paid attention to the news of late, you know iHeart just held a bloodbath firing over a thousand employees nationwide. So it's no shock Jerry got culled. With the ratings WHLD got, it's no surprise they couldn't get anyone beyond Glen Park Grill to sponsor him.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

That’s too bad, because to be fair Sully had a good radio show.  He always brought on good guests and like him or not, it was another opinion where you could get Bills coverage.  

It was pretty apparent that no one was listening.  They’d plug the phone line and literally no one would call.  

Jerry got great guests and his shows made good listening. But Jerry's gotta Jerry, meaning he has to bash something or he gets blue balls. I remember when Mitch Morse got concussed in preseason, Jerry went into crusade mode, trying to ream Brandon Beane for overpaying for damaged goods, and praising the Jets for getting the "right" free agent center in Ryan Kalil. :lol:  He got real quiet with that take as the season went on.

Jerry insists that he's his own man and his takes are ones that the "corporate shills" shy away from. But really he's just a button pusher. He knows how to get a rise from people. And there are people who love him because he feeds their rage over our teams. Jerry has talent as a sports writer and opinionator when he puts the effort into being good. But most of the time he took the lazy route of selling outrage. Jerry is the first to tell you he's the voice of the fan, but really he's just a provocateur.  Just listen to his questions at Bills press conferences...or his complaints about what free meal the Bills gave him.

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Sometimes you need differing opinions though. With WGR having deals to cover or broadcast for those teams, many times they on air people have to have certain views of the team or they lose their deal. Having another station that isn't being paid by the franchise helps give other opinions outside of 'everything is great!'

There's no question Buffalo could use a GOOD alternative to WGR. The level of sports talk radio in Buffalo is truly depressing. But doing sports talk the right way is expensive, and the Entercoms and iHearts hate spending a nickel much less a million...unless it's for management bonuses.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jerry insists that he's his own man and his takes are ones that the "corporate shills" shy away from. But really he's just a button pusher. He knows how to get a rise from people. And there are people who love him because he feeds their rage over our teams. Jerry has talent as a sports writer and opinionator when he puts the effort into being good. But most of the time he took the lazy route of selling outrage. Jerry is the first to tell you he's the voice of the fan, but really he's just a provocateur.  Just listen to his questions at Bills press conferences...or his complaints about what free meal the Bills gave him.

Abso-f'n-loutely correct...    

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah I mean..........in particular in the case of the Sabres...........what a hopeless sh*t show.......on their way to missing the playoffs for 9 straight seasons in a league FULL of mismanaged teams.......it defies explanation that owners of an NFL franchise can't make headway in that bush league.

And yet the people at the station can't really afford to real-talk it.     Can't blame them their jobs are on the line and after 9 years what can you say that's worth that risk?

At the same time.........there are plenty of other places outside of radio to discuss the futility of Buffalo sports.

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

For my own edification, can someone clarify something please:

Is "lack of financial support" a euphemism for "cancelled due to bad ratings" or do shows like that typically buy their own radio time, like an infomercial type arrangement & then are responsible for procuring their own support?

“Lack of financial support” means that lack of ad revenues could no longer justify Cumulus Media’s continued payment of the production costs associated with the show. 

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There are such programs, where the host buys time for whatever vanity project they have. But I'm pretty sure Sully was an employee of iHeart Radio, the owners of WHLD The Fan 1270.  If you've paid attention to the news of late, you know iHeart just held a bloodbath firing over a thousand employees nationwide. So it's no shock Jerry got culled. With the ratings WHLD got, it's no surprise they couldn't get anyone beyond Glen Park Grill to sponsor him.

Cumulus Media shows WHLD 1270 as one of their stations. Are they in turn owned by iHeart?

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wait, where did he do that?

My mom lived in S. Florida near Miami for ~2 decades.  It became more and more limiting to communication, during that time, to not speak Spanish.  That's in no way intended as a criticism, much less of an entire nation - it's just a fact.  When I was staying at mom's house, helping her through hospitalization and rehab and settling her affairs, my lack of ability to speak Spanish limited my ability to communicate to neighbors, nurse's aides,  people seeking directions to the hospital's emergency room, and servers and clerks in stores and restaurants.  And she wasn't even living in areas with the highest density of Spanish speaking homes.  I got a neighbor to write out certain answers and phrases phonetically so I could give directions to the ER or ask questions about medication administration and the last time my mom had a shower.

enclaves will result...defactor segegration will say the activists.  But, if you don't speak the language, you don't wanna be there.  Pretty simple really, and not racial in any way.

50 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

yeah. I really do want to emphasize that I do not need more people telling me what they think about the Bills or the Sabres. And I doubt anyone else really needs it either.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jerry Jerry Jerry .... they might not have explained this, but if anyone listened, there would probably not be a lack of financial support.

Thats what pays the station's bills. If they can't sell advertising then guess what its because your ratings suck. Simple

• Like (+1) 2

I’m sure most in here will regale us with their wit in bashing Sullivan .... having said that, his program was salty at times as one would expect, but he was rather complimentary of the bills most of the time, he had excellent guests on a daily basis, and he gave other sports, both major and minor, coverage .... truth was, his program was often more interesting than the White/Simon program and the Irritators hockey show 

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Jerry is very insecure. His whole persona stems from that. "Alternative voices" are not needed in this case. It's a gaddamn sports team, fcol. He should go find something else to complain about.

...as Don McLean said, "...the day the music died"..........Jerry can go write obituaries.....they can't disagree with him........