Should Buffalo Trade for Alshon Jeffrey

Dkollidas

I understand people want the shiny new toy...

Amari Copper or AJ Green.

But looking at that I believe that...

1) Cooper has spoken out about not really wanting to play in cold weather (has never played a game in snow and doesn’t want to)

2) Cincinnati has openly talked about tagging AJ Green, and he’s spoken about wanting to stay with the Bengals.

I could see Beane going for a low risk move with Alshon Jeffrey, depending on how he checks out medically. He’s a solid big target, only has one year left on his current deal, would only cost us about $10M for the one year. Would add size and catch ability to the lineup. And it could be a thing like Miami trading for Talib from the Rams, where Buffalo trades something like two 6th round picks and gets Jeffrey and a 4th round pick or something like that. 

Edited by Dkollidas
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Dkollidas said:

1) Cooper has spoken out about not really wanting to play in cold weather (has never played a game in snow and doesn’t want to)

2) Cincinnati has openly talked about tagging AJ Green, and he’s spoken about wanting to stay with the Bengals.

I could see Beane going for a low risk move with Alshon Jeffrey, depending on how he checks out medically. He’s a solid big target, only has one year left on his current deal, would only cost us about $10M for the one year. Would add size and catch ability to the lineup. And it could be a thing like Miami trading for Talib from the Rams, where Buffalo trades something like two 6th round picks and gets Jeffrey and a 4th round pick or something like that. 

Why would Philly trade him?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

One always has to look at this from the POV of the trading GM. 

Philly (for the first time in a couple years) has a decent cap situation, with $40M.  They also have 20 FA, including their LT, Agholor (their other top WR), two FS, CB, DT, DE etc.  Some may no longer be in their plans, but they probably want to resign 4 or 5 who are going to want to be paid.

Jeffrey has the 4th highest cap hit on the team at $15M of which ~$10M is salary .  If the Eagles trade him, his amortized signing bonus accelerates into this year and there goes $16.5M of their $40M cap space.  He's one of their 2 top WR targets from 2018, and when he and Agholor were injured the Eagles lack of depth at WR loomed large.

The Eagles really have no motivation to look at a Jeffrey trade, certainly not for a used hot-dog and a package of tube socks (which is what 2 6th round picks would amount to)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

If we wanted a WR from Philly, and Philly is willing to move on (given their lack of WR depth, I would look very carefully under the hood if they are), it would seem to make a lot more sense to look at Agholor, who is a free agent.  However, I suspect he's a FA (and was allowed to play out his 5th year option) is because his notion of what he is worth and Philly's notion of value for production are too far apart.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One always has to look at this from the POV of the trading GM. 

Philly (for the first time in a couple years) has a decent cap situation, with $40M.  They also have 20 FA, including their LT, Agholor (their other top W), two FS, CB, DT, DE etc.  Some may no longer be in their plans, but they probably want to resign 4 or 5 who are going to want to be paid.

Jeffrey has the 4th highest cap hit on the team at $15M of which ~$10M is salary .  If the Eagles trade him, his amortized signing bonus accelerates into this year and there goes $16.5M of their $40M cap space.  He's one of their 2 top WR targets from 2018, and when he and Agholor were injured the Eagles lack of depth at WR loomed large.

The Eagles really have no motivation to look at a Jeffrey trade, certainly not for a used hot-dog and a package of tube socks (which is what 2 6th round picks would amount to)

I have no real thoughts on your post, but please note the bolded where I have removed the erroneous R as Algholor doesn't use that part of his position. (This editing service is 100% free of charge. I'm like Grammerly but better)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Supposedly he's the main source that people have been quoting when they talk about Eagles players wishing they had kept Foles over Wentz.

Re: the OP, I floated Jeffery as a potential target as well. I think it would make a lot of sense for us and some sense for Philly if those rumors are true.

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I have no real thoughts on your post, but please note the bolded where I have removed the erroneous R as Algholor doesn't use that part of his position. (This editing service is 100% free of charge. I'm like Grammerly but better)

Dammit you made me spit coffee all over my keyboard

Agholor does so, 56.4% of the time.  Some subset of 43.6% of the time, of course, you're correct.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dammit you made me spit coffee all over my keyboard

Agholor does so, 56.4% of the time.  Some subset of 43.6% of the time, of course, you're correct.

He catches 100% less children falling from burning buildings than the average citizen.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Because we want him, and other NFL teams are always looking for ways to help out the Bills?  

And this isn't even the stupidest thread that was started today.  It's going to be a long offseason...

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since the average citizen catches 0, I think that's mathematically undefined

If by average you mean you, then I am appalled by your lack of civic participation. I've caught 3 this week alone, though I don't suppose I'm average... 

In all seriousness, do you know to what I am referring? 

http://inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-fan-nelson-agholor-philadelphia-fire-hakim-laws-20190923.html

Edited by whatdrought

While I don't usually think that fantasy football has much to do with the discussions on this forum, in this case it is applicable.  I drafted Jeffery this year and have had him on my roster in the past.  This is relevant, because it means that I have followed his production closely.  In doing so, I have noticed that Jeffery is wildly inconsistent and often injured.  He may have the physical traits in the WR that the Bills need, but I don't think he's the right guy for the team.

I just looked at his stats, and he has only played in all 16 games in 3 out of the 8 years he has been in the league.  Last year, he missed 6 games.  He will be 30 years old next season and isn't getting any younger (and likely not any healthier).  In the 10 games he played last year, he only had 1 game with over 100 yards, only 2 with over 75, and only 4 TDs total.  

Edited by msw2112