Todd Gurley trade talk from one reporter

Rc2catch

It's too bad that this guy may be done at such a young age.  Good for him that he got paid when he did.  A "no" for the Bills, even if the Rams threw in draft picks a la Osweiller.  I'd rather spend the cap space on Lawson and/or Phillips and draft a young, inexpensive RB in the middle rounds.

4 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

No on Gurley

but I have often thought why not count the QBs contract as 50% of the salary against the cap. That would definitely allow to be able to keep homegrown players easier and would help free agents by being to get some more money. 

Or how about we set a hard cap on individual contracts.  25mil per season max on any contract.

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary?

Uhhhh. No. He would instantly become the Bills number 1 back. Having said that, there is virtually zero chance that Todd Gurley will be a Buffalo Bill. 

But if his knees are diminished to the point that he's no better than DS, why in the world would we throw that kind of money around? May as well sign a bunch of low risk, high reward FA's and see what happens. Or go HARD for one of the premiere pass rushers.

I'll just add; I'm not sold on Devin as a gamechanging back. I think he's a really nice player and proved that he can make things happen, but his lack of true speed limit his potential.

DS will definitely play a role for the Bills in 2020, but I'd really like to see some "electric" offense weapons.

Edited by LSHMEAB

10 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

No on Gurley

but I have often thought why not count the QBs contract as 50% of the salary against the cap. That would definitely allow to be able to keep homegrown players easier and would help free agents by being to get some more money. 

They are talking about that in the new CBa. Dont now the breakdown but they are talking about a QB salary cap and then a cap for everyone else

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA from a reporter speculating that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract. 
However the only real way to trade him as a “salary dump” they need to add more value like draft pick compensation. 
How desperate are they? Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp desperate? 1st round picks desperate? 
Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary? Would he be fresher/better in a time share where he’s not the #1? 
I know his contract is kind of ugly but it’s fairly easy to get out of in 2021 I believe with a 4 million dead cap hit (maybe some of you smarter cap guys can find more exact figures) 

I am not saying it’s a move we need to make, but I found it intriguing given our need for another running back and that Beane may be able to fleece them pretty good to take on that contract. 

The second part to it was hearing ESPN this morning discussing Mahomes contract coming up and how it’s been floated by owners to separate quarterbacks contracts from the salary cap. To create two salary caps for teams. One for strictly quarterbacks since the contracts are soaring so high and obviously the other cap to manage all other players on the team. 
Given our cap situation and Josh not needing that monster deal for a bit the Gurley thing made a little more sense if you can acquire a really big haul to take that contract. Best case scenario is he may play decent as well. 
Anyways I thought this would be a fun hypothetical kinda debate as to how a deal like that would work and what would be fair compensation to take on Gurley and that contract. 

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/jeremy-fowler-espn-nfl-quarterback-salary-cap-01e0ddyxpgyn

sorry if my links suck as I said I don’t normally do topics if someone else would prefer to have a discussion over this I can gladly delete mine 

Let's learn from some of the other teams on what NOT to do...

The Rams sank themselves with that Gurley contract, why help them out?  He will probably never again be like he was, so I'd rather have a rookie.

The Cowboys just signed Zeke.  There are rumblings that his production is starting to go down and NOW they need to sign Dak and try to sign Cooper.  So they signed him to bucu money and will be stuck with him.

How many more years will Henry be able to produce at a high level with high usage? 

Lesson Learned:  Do not fall in love with your RBs.  Sign a new rookie every year in the draft (or bring in alot of rookie FA's).  Keep a fresh stable of runners and after a couple of years, trade them if you can or let them go via FA.  Let some other team get stuck with them.

1 hour ago, hjnick said:

Let's learn from some of the other teams on what NOT to do...

The Rams sank themselves with that Gurley contract, why help them out?  He will probably never again be like he was, so I'd rather have a rookie.

The Cowboys just signed Zeke.  There are rumblings that his production is starting to go down and NOW they need to sign Dak and try to sign Cooper.  So they signed him to bucu money and will be stuck with him.

How many more years will Henry be able to produce at a high level with high usage? 

Lesson Learned:  Do not fall in love with your RBs.  Sign a new rookie every year in the draft (or bring in alot of rookie FA's).  Keep a fresh stable of runners and after a couple of years, trade them if you can or let them go via FA.  Let some other team get stuck with them.

Zeke had 1700 yards from scrimmage and 14 touchdowns last season. Maybe it’s time to stop listening to wherever your “rumblings” are coming from.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA from a reporter speculating that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract. 
However the only real way to trade him as a “salary dump” they need to add more value like draft pick compensation. 
How desperate are they? Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp desperate? 1st round picks desperate? 
Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary? Would he be fresher/better in a time share where he’s not the #1? 
I know his contract is kind of ugly but it’s fairly easy to get out of in 2021 I believe with a 4 million dead cap hit (maybe some of you smarter cap guys can find more exact figures) 

I am not saying it’s a move we need to make, but I found it intriguing given our need for another running back and that Beane may be able to fleece them pretty good to take on that contract. 

The second part to it was hearing ESPN this morning discussing Mahomes contract coming up and how it’s been floated by owners to separate quarterbacks contracts from the salary cap. To create two salary caps for teams. One for strictly quarterbacks since the contracts are soaring so high and obviously the other cap to manage all other players on the team. 
Given our cap situation and Josh not needing that monster deal for a bit the Gurley thing made a little more sense if you can acquire a really big haul to take that contract. Best case scenario is he may play decent as well. 
Anyways I thought this would be a fun hypothetical kinda debate as to how a deal like that would work and what would be fair compensation to take on Gurley and that contract. 

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/jeremy-fowler-espn-nfl-quarterback-salary-cap-01e0ddyxpgyn

sorry if my links suck as I said I don’t normally do topics if someone else would prefer to have a discussion over this I can gladly delete mine 

This is the kind of move a Miami makes.  Take the contract and a decent pick/player and let it be part of the rebuild - just like Cleveland did.  Does not mean it will work for them.

This is not a move a decent team that is coming off a playoff run and wants to grow and build a team long term makes.

So No for Buffalo.

Maybe for a Miami/Cincinnati team that is still players and a year or two away.

Edited by Rochesterfan