Todd Gurley trade talk from one reporter

Rc2catch

Was that in the "one offseason prediction for every team" article from a couple days ago where they predicted 4 different teams were going to trade up for Tua Tagovailoa?

I can't imagine anyone trading for Gurley it's absurd.     Probably the most toxic contract in the NFL.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

The knee is arthritic.  It's a chronic injury that will never get better, and even if you can play through the pain of arthritis, you can't play through the instability the arthritis can/will cause to the knee.  He's one bad hit from retirement already.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Was that in the "one offseason prediction for every team" article from a couple days ago where they predicted 4 different teams were going to trade up for Tua Tagovailoa?

I can't imagine anyone trading for Gurley it's absurd.     Probably the most toxic contract in the NFL.

I think that was the article. I only caught the Gurley part on rotoworld cause my nephew sent it to me this morning about the draft pick compensation possibly having to be added in order to move the contract 

This was a “bold prediction” by a reporter, it was not reported. Same with the David Johnson on the cutting block prediction. Certainly both could happen but it’s the same as one of us predicting it. Rotoworld got killed on twitter today for running with these. 

oh, and No.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This was a “bold prediction” by a reporter, it was not reported. Same with the David Johnson on the cutting block prediction. Certainly both could happen but it’s the same as one of us predicting it. Rotoworld got killed on twitter today for running with these. 

Lol I knew if one of you hadn’t had it on here by now I missed something along the way. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think that was the article. I only caught the Gurley part on rotoworld cause my nephew sent it to me this morning about the draft pick compensation possibly having to be added in order to move the contract 

The Bills entry was "they will extend Tre White"...........someone at ESPN should tell those guys to A) get on the same page so 4 teams aren't acquiring the same player and B) give INTERESTING takes.     If they extend Tre White that's fine but dude is under contract for 2 more years.........tell us something that actually affects the roster.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills entry was "they will extend Tre White"...........someone at ESPN should tell those guys to A) get on the same page so 4 teams aren't acquiring the same player and B) give INTERESTING takes.     If they extend Tre White that's fine but dude is under contract for 2 more years.........tell us something that actually affects the roster.

Well maybe I should of done a little more reading before I started this ?? 

I only read the rotoworld part on Gurley and then googled an article cause Roto wouldn’t link on here for me. 

Rams and Cards have to get out from under their RB contracts. Gurley didn't suddenly become a bad player. He can't be a bell cow but in a shared backfield with Singletary? Sure why not. His contract is an overpay so I would ask for a high pick to take it. Like next year's 1st.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Well maybe I should of done a little more reading before I started this ?? 

I only read the rotoworld part on Gurley and then googled an article cause Roto wouldn’t link on here for me. 

Yeah it was basically a hot garbage article across the board...........and I'm generally not very critical of this kind of stuff.........it's all fluff after all.........but they literally put no effort into the takes whatsoever.?

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Maybe for the Rams, but not that bad for a team trading for him.  It's essentially a $10 mil/yr deal for the new team.   You can argue that a top 5 RB game-changing RB is worth that.  I don't think Gurley is that though.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

damaged goods

Exactly my thought, i would rather go the route of getting another player in the draft its about the same as asking if you want to bring Sam Bradford in sure they  both have talent but is the risk worth the reward & what other player or players could you get weather it be in the draft or in FA for that kind of cash ??

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA from a reporter speculating that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract. 
However the only real way to trade him as a “salary dump” they need to add more value like draft pick compensation. 
How desperate are they? Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp desperate? 1st round picks desperate? 
Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary? Would he be fresher/better in a time share where he’s not the #1? 
I know his contract is kind of ugly but it’s fairly easy to get out of in 2021 I believe with a 4 million dead cap hit (maybe some of you smarter cap guys can find more exact figures) 

I am not saying it’s a move we need to make, but I found it intriguing given our need for another running back and that Beane may be able to fleece them pretty good to take on that contract. 

The second part to it was hearing ESPN this morning discussing Mahomes contract coming up and how it’s been floated by owners to separate quarterbacks contracts from the salary cap. To create two salary caps for teams. One for strictly quarterbacks since the contracts are soaring so high and obviously the other cap to manage all other players on the team. 
Given our cap situation and Josh not needing that monster deal for a bit the Gurley thing made a little more sense if you can acquire a really big haul to take that contract. Best case scenario is he may play decent as well. 
Anyways I thought this would be a fun hypothetical kinda debate as to how a deal like that would work and what would be fair compensation to take on Gurley and that contract. 

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/jeremy-fowler-espn-nfl-quarterback-salary-cap-01e0ddyxpgyn

sorry if my links suck as I said I don’t normally do topics if someone else would prefer to have a discussion over this I can gladly delete mine 

it’d essentially be 2 years 22m and then no dead money (signing bonus stays behind with rams)

sometimes guys like this rebound after a year of reduced work. I wouldn’t like it but in the right package it’s not insane to discuss. Probably a better fit for a team at a different point in the team building cycle though 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’d essentially be 2 years 22m and then no dead money (signing bonus stays behind with rams)

sometimes guys like this rebound after a year of reduced work. I wouldn’t like it but in the right package it’s not insane to discuss. Probably a better fit for a team at a different point in the team building cycle though 

All depends, it really only works out good for us if we could steal a 1st rounder from them. Eat 2 years of an ugly contract but gain 5 years cost controlled on a rookie first rounder. Those extra 3 years of a first round rookie play in nicely with our contract extensions. 

I would never really suggest acquiring Gurley outright, it’s just about how bad LA would want that contract gone. The compensation added would have to be extreme 

Edited by Rc2catch

59 minutes ago, GG said:

Maybe for the Rams, but not that bad for a team trading for him.  It's essentially a $10 mil/yr deal for the new team.   You can argue that a top 5 RB game-changing RB is worth that.  I don't think Gurley is that though.

His 2020 cap number is actually $13M.......and it fully guarantees in March.

He ranked: 

37th in NFL in ypc

17th in carries

20th in rushing yards

So you are probably right that he's not a top 5 RB.:thumbsup:

Oh and he has a degenerative knee condition that has reduced him to a below average ypc RB since it worsened in December of 2018 so I wouldn't be looking for value at the end of his deal.

The worst guaranteed money deal in the NFL in 2020...........Rams should cut him before the guarantee's vest.

The first kick in the a$$ is the best one.