Todd Gurley trade talk from one reporter

Rc2catch

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA from a reporter speculating that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract. 
However the only real way to trade him as a “salary dump” they need to add more value like draft pick compensation. 
How desperate are they? Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp desperate? 1st round picks desperate? 
Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary? Would he be fresher/better in a time share where he’s not the #1? 
I know his contract is kind of ugly but it’s fairly easy to get out of in 2021 I believe with a 4 million dead cap hit (maybe some of you smarter cap guys can find more exact figures) 

I am not saying it’s a move we need to make, but I found it intriguing given our need for another running back and that Beane may be able to fleece them pretty good to take on that contract. 

The second part to it was hearing ESPN this morning discussing Mahomes contract coming up and how it’s been floated by owners to separate quarterbacks contracts from the salary cap. To create two salary caps for teams. One for strictly quarterbacks since the contracts are soaring so high and obviously the other cap to manage all other players on the team. 
Given our cap situation and Josh not needing that monster deal for a bit the Gurley thing made a little more sense if you can acquire a really big haul to take that contract. Best case scenario is he may play decent as well. 
Anyways I thought this would be a fun hypothetical kinda debate as to how a deal like that would work and what would be fair compensation to take on Gurley and that contract. 

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/jeremy-fowler-espn-nfl-quarterback-salary-cap-01e0ddyxpgyn

sorry if my links suck as I said I don’t normally do topics if someone else would prefer to have a discussion over this I can gladly delete mine 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract.

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

Just one note that in the link above, the source is " predicts one ESPN reporter. "

Not "per source connected to the team"

Predicts.

One.

ESPN Reporter.

Essentially, at this point, it's one dude's speculation.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just one note that in the link above, the source is " predicts one ESPN reporter. "

Not "per source connected to the team"

Predicts.

One.

ESPN Reporter.

Essentially, at this point, it's one dude's speculation.

I edited it to add that in ?

• Like (+1) 1

Only way you consider taking on a horrendous contract for a depreciating player is if they throw in a draft pick sweetner.  And because of the $12+M in cap space Gurley is guaranteed next yr. it would have to be a pretty nice sweetner, like a 3rd round pick, IMO.  Perhaps a team with a ton of cap space would think about it, much like the Browns did a few years back when they traded for Brock Osweiller.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Good speculation. Gurley is a top notch RB, even though his knee issues are scary.

I'd rather draft another RB.

It wasn’t meant so much for Gurley I never liked him from the start, more so what can you get attached to the trade if you take his contract? Ideally you wouldn’t really be counting on Gurleys production so you’d continue conducting business as usual. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It wasn’t meant so much for Gurley I never liked him from the start, more so what can you get attached to the trade if you take his contract? Ideally you wouldn’t really be counting on Gurleys production so you’d continue conducting business as usual. 

You never liked Gurley? Even when he was the focal point of the NFL's hottest offense in 2017 and '18?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You never liked Gurley? Even when he was the focal point of the NFL's hottest offense in 2017 and '18?

No, their offensive line looked great those years. They are the reason Gurley and Goff both got paid big money. Losing Sullivan and Saffold hurt them really bad 

• Like (+1) 2

Gurley has a 2020 cap hit of $17.25M with 3 more years on his deal at $13.M, $14,.2M, and $12.5M.  A dead cap hit of $12.6M this year.  Couple that with diminished carries as a result of suspected knee joint issues and it looks like a no-go to me.  If I'm going to commit that kind of money to a RB plus giving something back in any kind of trade scenario I'd rather make a run at Derrick Henry for something close to these numbers.  But I don't expect the Bills to do that either.

• Like (+1) 1