My mother died last night

Punching Bag

14 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Very sorry for you Limeaid.  I'm glad she received Communion and Anointing of the Sick before she passed

Shortly before my father passed the kids were taking turns staying with him at the hospital. My sister texted an update including that the priest had come in for “an annoying prayer”.  Autocorrect is not always your friend. 

When my father got to hospice they basically asked us to leave and go get dinner. “Sometimes they hang on as long as family is here.” Shortly after we got home we got the call. I am convinced they jacked up the morphine. We had all said our goodbyes as we left, and I have zero problem with what I suspect they did. There was no coming back from where he was. Sometimes it seems we treat our pets better than people. He had suffered long enough, and it was time for him to be home. 

• Like (+1) 2

Condolences and prayers offered.

We lost my mom just over 5 years ago to cancer of the pancreatic region (at a node from which it spread). She had decided to be mostly at home though there were a few hospital stays for issues. I handled meds including morphine for the final few days when she went downhill quickly, dosing as the doctors said, and we finally had hospice person come the final night so I could have what turned out to be a two hour nap (I literally hadn’t slept for the previous five days; wasn’t able to even with meds). My oldest brother wasn’t there when she passed and I think he still beats himself up over it for going to work instead of coming. But in many ways, it was probably for the best for him, with ptsd issues from long military service. It’s rough not having had contact and to say last goodbyes and I love yous due of all things to technical issues. But no doubt — NO doubt —she knew she was in your heart and you were in hers. 

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure you did.  My condolances.

I would have liked to have talked to her using facetime (?) over phone and my brother said he would try to arrange it.  She had trouble with hearing cell phone ring so I have not been able to talk to her this year.

I was making plans to see her in hospice this weekend but she never made it there so I am going to Blasdell anyways just more urgently so I can be at funeral on time.

Blessings on your Mom, you and your family.