The strange question thread.

teef

On 2/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, teef said:

I had a fairly strange question, so why not start a thread of them. 

so...do you, (did you) kiss your dad. Not the open mouth/heavy petting kind, but a kiss on the cheek when you see each other?  

I do every time I see my dad, whether or not it’s in public. A colleague and I were talking about it, and he felt it was a bit much. He’s more of a handshake kind of guy which I completely understand. Maybe it’s an Italian thing, but I kiss all of my family when I see them. Just kinda curious. 

Always did.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't touch my dad with any part of my body and any part of his body.  My dad doesn't shake hands, it's pretty weird.  He's not a germaphobe....he just doesn't do it.

I honestly don't know what his hands feel like.

I am closer to this. I give both my parents and my sister pretty weak Hugs with pats on the back. I think my dad gets sort of a side hug.  I think we (or maybe just I) fell into this precedent years ago, and it would be weird now changing. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's more a Hispanic greeting, right? Peck on cheek.  Ends up more like hug and cheek to cheek.  My sister inlaw is from Mexico and everybody in their family greet that way.  I thought it was weird at first 23 years ago when we first met her... But now everybody is doing it, even when she's not around... it's normal. LoL...

No....I didn't kiss my Dad. I gave him an Anglo homophobic (just being funny)  handshake. LoL...

Mods... Can we turn this into a CPR thread... I am getting weirded out.  LoL...

My dad hasn't an ounce of hispanic blood in his body.  His mother was very affectionate, though.  His father, not at all.  My mom's parents were big huggers and kissers and they were 100% Puerto Rican.

My theory is that my dad grew up with a cold, affectionless father and when HE became a father, promised himself that he wouldn't put his own children through that.  I'm glad.  I'm glad I was brought up with tons of affection.  I wouldn't want it any other way and I'm proudly keeping it going.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am closer to this. I give both my parents and my sister pretty weak Hugs with pats on the back. I think my dad gets sort of a side hug.  I think we (or maybe just I) fell into this precedent years ago, and it would be weird now changing. 

It's nothing with my father.  We don't hug or shake hands or pat each other on the back.  There just isn't that closeness.  

I'm the opposite, I'm a hugger.  I hug and give the two pats on the back type of guy.  

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's nothing with my father.  We don't hug or shake hands or pat each other on the back.  There just isn't that closeness.  

I'm the opposite, I'm a hugger.  I hug and give the two pats on the back type of guy.  

Oh, it was nothing with my father, too. He didn’t like touching people. He lectured his doctor for licking his fingers to turn the pages in his chart. The only day of the year we could go on a picnic was New Years Day in WNY, because they drank too much the night before, and there would be no flies near his food. That became a strange, but fun,  tradition. 

But the rest of us are huggers. It goes back to the old “you never know if this is the last time” state of mind, and I think that’s the proper attitude. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh, it was nothing with my father, too. He didn’t like touching people. He lectured his doctor for licking his fingers to turn the pages in his chart. The only day of the year we could go on a picnic was New Years Day in WNY, because they drank too much the night before, and there would be no flies near his food. That became a strange, but fun,  tradition. 

But the rest of us are huggers. It goes back to the old “you never know if this is the last time” state of mind, and I think that’s the proper attitude. 

My dad just feels real uncomfortable when people are close.  He would never be a close talker.

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm a kisser.  You just wait till we meet.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad just feels real uncomfortable when people are close.  He would never be a close talker.

There is a nice old guy at the tennis courts I go to several times a week. He’s in his 80’s and he’s a super good guy.....but he does NOT understand personal space. If you make him laugh or react too much in any way, he will latch onto you, and he will NOT LET GO! CRAZY strong old guy! He may grab a shoulder with one hand, and fake hit you with the other. I think I make him react too much, because I get the brunt of this. I literally have to stand up and break away! Then he gets offended. 

Now, having said that, he’s a sweet old man who can get from home to his lunch restaurant, or from home to the courts, but he can’t get from the courts to the restaurant. I hope I’m still playing tennis in my mid 80’s. 

Everybody is different. Understand and embrace that. 

Just now, Gugny said:

I'm a kisser.  You just wait till we meet.

I’m actually busy the week of the second home game. 

Forever. 

Dumb question: When going to an appointment or another office, I might ask “Do you have a bathroom?” If someone was a wise ass they’d say “Uhhhh, no. Just go outside by the fence”

Plus, it’s not a bath I’m looking for...I have to pee. 

So what do you call the place to relieve yourself when in another office or home?

Bathroom

Restroom

Toilet

Powder room (@CrippleCreek)

Head (@ExiledinIllinois)

Tinkletorium

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Dumb question: When going to an appointment or another office, I might ask “Do you have a bathroom?” If someone was a wise ass they’d say “Uhhhh, no. Just go outside by the fence”

Plus, it’s not a bath I’m looking for...I have to pee. 

So what do you call the place to relieve yourself when in another office or home?

Bathroom

Restroom

Toilet

Powder room (@CrippleCreek)

Head (@ExiledinIllinois)

Tinkletorium

Restroom.  Just ask where it is next time, not if it exists.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, teef said:

so...do you, (did you) kiss your dad. Not the open mouth/heavy petting kind, but a kiss on the cheek when you see each other? 

Uh....his side of the family was Irish/English.  I think we exchanged the word ‘love’ twice in my adult life.  Might have been a brief hug at my college graduation.  Kissing?  That’s for those nutty Italians.

Men in our family shook hands....still do with my brothers.  Funny thing is my 3 sisters are all married to huggers so I’ve adapted.

Edited by KD in CA