The strange question thread.

teef

I had a fairly strange question, so why not start a thread of them. 

so...do you, (did you) kiss your dad. Not the open mouth/heavy petting kind, but a kiss on the cheek when you see each other?  

I do every time I see my dad, whether or not it’s in public. A colleague and I were talking about it, and he felt it was a bit much. He’s more of a handshake kind of guy which I completely understand. Maybe it’s an Italian thing, but I kiss all of my family when I see them. Just kinda curious. 

24 minutes ago, teef said:

so...do you, (did you) kiss your dad. Not the open mouth/heavy petting kind, but a kiss on the cheek when you see each other?  

I do every time I see my dad, whether or not it’s in public. A colleague and I were talking about it, and he felt it was a bit much. He’s more of a handshake kind of guy which I completely understand. Maybe it’s an Italian thing, but I kiss all of my family when I see them. Just kinda curious. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, teef said:

I didn’t  think the question was strange until you clarified you didn’t mean French kissing.  

I didn’t kiss my father, but I did hug regularly and often after I became an adult.  It really wasn’t his thing, but God love him he’d pat me on the back and tolerate my newfangled ways.  He died many years ago, and I’m grateful for every minute.  

Good for you, and send your friend some dead fish wrapped up in newspaper.  It means “Thanks so much for sharing your opinion, it means the world to me and I’ll consider your perspective moving forward.” In Italian, but you probably knew that. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, teef said:

No, I never gave your dad tongue, but maybe a little pat on the backside. It seemed well received.  :)

My wife’s family is Lebanese and they’d do the whole one, two, and somethings three kisses on the cheeks. Back and forth, and back again.....I never got in the rhythm there, anywhere from 1 to 3. That included her uncle who would come to visit  each year. 

We got into the habit of hugs each time we meet and depart, because you’d never know when it would be the last time. I like that, but I keep the kissing to my wife. And of course my two mistresses, but they don’t count, do they? 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, teef said:

Yep. I’d give Dad a kiss on the cheek even until he died at 81. Nothing wrong with it. You love and respect your Dad. That’s cool. 

If you open mouth kiss your yellow lab after she whores around the neighborhood then take this crap to the UKC Message Board. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, teef said:

I kiss my mom and dad on the cheek every time I see them.

I see my brother and sister a few times/year.  When I see them, I'll give my sis a hug and kiss her on the cheek; my bro and I just hug, but it's a couple seconds longer than a "bro hug."

My son is not a kisser and barely a hugger.  He's okay with a hug and a kiss on top of his head, but that's all.

Nephews are the classic handshake/hug/two pats on the back.  My niece, I'll give a quick hug to.

Even when I was a teenager and my dad would drop me off somewhere, I'd give him a kiss before I got out of the car.  Zero shame in that.  Respect and love.

• Like (+1) 1

My dad was never big on open displays of affection, but once I moved away and we see each other so much less, I started instituting hugs at the beginning and end of our visits, but they end up being open half bro awkward  hugs if that’s a thing—that’s our compromise lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, teef said:

Nope, no Italian here just hardened Irish German and polish ancestry, hell it feels weird as hell to give him a hug.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, teef said:

I asked Hubby if he did the double-sided-kiss with his father, he said yes. His father was Italian (an Italian citizen who became an American citizen). His dad died many years before I met hubby, but his uncle (father's brother) also did the double-sided-kiss with him (and me).

Hubby's mother did the double-sided-kiss. She was French (a French citizen who became an American citizen). ALL his relatives in France do the double-sided-kiss thing with him (and me).

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, /dev/null said:

giphy.gif

i can make this far more weird.  

12 hours ago, Augie said:

No, I never gave your dad tongue, but maybe a little pat on the backside. It seemed well received.  :)

My wife’s family is Lebanese and they’d do the whole one, two, and somethings three kisses on the cheeks. Back and forth, and back again.....I never got in the rhythm there, anywhere from 1 to 3. That included her uncle who would come to visit  each year. 

We got into the habit of hugs each time we meet and depart, because you’d never know when it would be the last time. I like that, but I keep the kissing to my wife. And of course my two mistresses, but they don’t count, do they? 

i think of part of it is definitely cultural. i completely get it when people don't do it either.  i certainly don't think it means a lack of affection.  just preference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yep. I’d give Dad a kiss on the cheek even until he died at 81. Nothing wrong with it. You love and respect your Dad. That’s cool. 

If you open mouth kiss your yellow lab after she whores around the neighborhood then take this crap to the UKC Message Board. 

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I see my brother and sister a few times/year.  When I see them, I'll give my sis a hug and kiss her on the cheek; my bro and I just hug, but it's a couple seconds longer than a "bro hug."

My son is not a kisser and barely a hugger.  He's okay with a hug and a kiss on top of his head, but that's all.

Nephews are the classic handshake/hug/two pats on the back.  My niece, I'll give a quick hug to.

Even when I was a teenager and my dad would drop me off somewhere, I'd give him a kiss before I got out of the car.  Zero shame in that.  Respect and love.

this is where i'm at.  my parents will both be 80 in a few months, so time becomes more precious.  the strange thing is that i don't come from an affectionate family at all. our show of love is usually busting someone's balls without mercy.  still, my parents made us give hugs/kisses when we let the house in the morning, came home and night, and before bed.  that didn't go on as we got older, but we always still hug and kiss when we see each other.

i just give my brother a hug, (no kiss) and the nieces and nephews are always a big hug.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I didn’t kiss my father, but I did hug regularly and often after I became an adult.  It really wasn’t his thing, but God love him he’d pat me on the back and tolerate my newfangled ways.  He died many years ago, and I’m grateful for every minute.  

Pretty much the same for me, hugs and an awkward back pat until he got used to the new norm, still wish I could get one....

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

That's more a Hispanic greeting, right? Peck on cheek.  Ends up more like hug and cheek to cheek.  My sister inlaw is from Mexico and everybody in their family greet that way.  I thought it was weird at first 23 years ago when we first met her... But now everybody is doing it, even when she's not around... it's normal. LoL...

No....I didn't kiss my Dad. I gave him an Anglo homophobic (just being funny)  handshake. LoL...

55 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13267218

Mods... Can we turn this into a CPR thread... I am getting weirded out.  LoL...