Cover 1 evaluation of Laviska Shenault and in-depth overview of injury history

YoloinOhio

Pretty easy to watch him play and see how Daboll would love to have him. I’m concerned he’s not really a good fit for the biggest hole in our WR corps, that being the X. Struggles with press coverage and struggles with route running.

I’d be happy to take him if we address the X spot before the draft but I don’t want to take him and pencil him in there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't mind Ceedee Lamb or Henry Ruggs or Justin Jefferson

From Beane’s few drafts I could easily him pointing a finger at one of these three and then moving up 7 or 8 slots to get them. 

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Pretty easy to watch him play and see how Daboll would love to have him. I’m concerned he’s not really a good fit for the biggest hole in our WR corps, that being the X. Struggles with press coverage and struggles with route running.

I’d be happy to take him if we address the X spot before the draft but I don’t want to take him and pencil him in there. 

Exactly right. I just don’t see how they can properly address the x before their first round pick. The FA class is much less than exciting. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't mind Ceedee Lamb or Henry Ruggs or Justin Jefferson

OK, so I've heard someone called Ceedee Lamb called "the best WR in the draft" (vs Jeudy)

I've also heard people mocking Ruggs to go way higher.

So they sound like players we would have to trade up for?

On the other hand, on Jefferson I found this:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-jefferson/esI1JY8rYR

Would he be a bit of a reach as a 1st round guy?

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

From Beane’s few drafts I could easily him pointing a finger at one of these three and then moving up 7 or 8 slots to get them. 

Given our 2 5th and 3 6th round picks, it would not shock me if Beane were to wheel and deal a player and a pick to try to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick as ammo to move up.

I'm unclear on who and exactly what he'd have to do for this though.  I hope he's got McDermott keeping tabs on him.

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Exactly right. I just don’t see how they can properly address the x before their first round pick. The FA class is much less than exciting. 

AJ would theoretically address it. I think a trade might be more likely though (or if there’s a cap casualty).

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so I've heard someone called Ceedee Lamb called "the best WR in the draft" (vs Jeudy)

I've also heard people mocking Ruggs to go way higher.

So they sound like players we would have to trade up for?

On the other hand, on Jefferson I found this:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-jefferson/esI1JY8rYR

Would he be a bit of a reach as a 1st round guy?

Given our 2 5th and 3 6th round picks, it would not shock me if Beane were to wheel and deal a player and a pick to try to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick as ammo to move up.

I'm unclear on who and exactly what he'd have to do for this though.  I hope he's got McDermott keeping tabs on him.

I think Ruggs will be there and possibly lamb. Jefferson would be more of a second round target to me

These are just guys that I think fit what we do. I really like Ruggs

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can find all sorts of ways to use Cordarrelle Patterson too but he wasn't worth a first

Shenault is great value in the second not round 1 of an NFL draft

uhhh. if he's "great value" in the 2nd then It stands to reason he's still solid value in the tail end of round one.....

its not the dollar tree. we aren't freaking bargain shopping here... if you want the dude and you think he cant make a difference you freaking draft him.

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

uhhh. if he's "great value" in the 2nd then It stands to reason he's still solid value in the tail end of round one.....

its not the dollar tree. we aren't freaking bargain shopping here... if you want the dude and you think he cant make a difference you freaking draft him.

He's great value in round 2 because he's a jack of all trades and can do alot 

He's not good value in the first because he isn't great at any WR skills and may never develop 

And 22 is not tail end of round 1.. you can get an absolute stud who is way more polished than Shenault there

31 would be the tail end

And I honestly don't want him at all. 22nd pick of round 2 sure

Edited by Buffalo716

Laviska can do it all, but he may not be there at #22.  Especially after he rips the combine.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's not good value in the first because he isn't great at any WR skills and may never develop 

And I honestly don't want him at all. 22nd pick of round 2 sure

Since when are YAC and good hands NOT WR skills?  And Shenault doesn't need a ton of development.

I'm very curious as to what you thought about D.K. Metcalf around this time last year?  Were you one of those worried about his 3-cone?  Be honest.

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Laviska can do it all, but he may not be there at #22.  Especially after he rips the combine.

Since when are YAC and good hands NOT WR skills?  And Shenault doesn't need a ton of development.

I'm very curious as to what you thought about D.K. Metcalf around this time last year?  Were you one of those worried about his 3-cone?  Be honest.

No I was worried about his injury history

And Shenault has great YAC skills that's it, and you need the ball in your hands for that

He does not have elite hands catching the ball, he has solid hands . So his great skills are his YAC , that's it

He is an elite runner , not an elite WR

And his route running needs work

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sold on Shenault. But missing on a receiver at 22 isn't the same as missing on a receiver in the top 5 after trading up. Especially if they pick 2 to hedge their bets. With Beane as GM there are also reasons to be hopeful that they can hit on later round picks. I have my preference but the Shenault pick would be completely understandable.

Someone asked on Marino's podcast who had the best hands and he came up with 2 guys one of whom- Pitman (USC) is a definite mid round guy.

Edited by Seoulofstone

13 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I find it amusing that people think they can differentiate 0.05-0.10 second differences in 40 yard dash speed by watching a clip of a guy playing football. 

You can't. 

No but I played D1 football and still scout and coach

I know what a 4.4 looks like and that's not it. It's solidly a 4.5 ish in my estimation

When your around the game everyday for 30+ years you can pick things up 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No I was worried about his injury history

And Shenault has great YAC skills that's it, and you need the ball in your hands for that

He does not have elite hands catching the ball, he has solid hands . So his great skills are his YAC , that's it

He is an elite runner , not an elite WR

And his route running needs work

Be honest.  You just don't like the guy, for whatever reason.  You're on every post bashing him for various reasons, even though highlight reels, draft projections and scouting reports disagree with you.

I've got an inkling that you had strong criticisms of DK last season too.  I can tell.