NFL.com David Carr lists Buffalo as a Potential Destination for WR Amari Cooper

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

3) BUFFALO BILLS: The Bills are one receiver away from having one of the top offenses in the league, especially after Josh Allen made the leap in Year 2. John Brown can take the top off the defense, Cole Beasley is a solid slot guy and Cooper would give Allen a playmaker who can win one-on-one situations and clear out the box for the run game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101262/article/eagles-bills-among-potential-landing-spots-for-amari-cooper?campaign=Twitter_atn

I tend to think that David Carr must be the coldest of "hot takes". 

Before Week 17, after Buffalo lost to NE in a close game and were about to sit their starters in prep for playoffs, Carr put out an article listing "3 Offenses In Need of Revamp": the 1-14 Bengals (30th in scoring); the 5-10 Carolina Panthers; and the 10-5 Buffalo Bills.  His suggestions were extensive.  We should totally re-work our offense:

"Instead of employing a traditional pro-style offense, why not use Allen's strengths as a runner more often? Look at what Baltimore is doing with Lamar Jackson. Buffalo won't be as explosive, but certainly could be much more effective moving the ball downfield."

So per Carr, we should re-do our offense to become Ravens Lite.  Now, 6.5 weeks later, suddenly the Bills are "one receiver away from having one of the top offenses in the league"?

:rolleyes:

Cooper made a big point in that Athletic piece about how he was "frosty about Buffalo" as a destination and money wasn't his determining factor:

"“I don’t think it’s all about money,” Cooper said. “Most players in the NFL, and if you’re a highly touted free agent, you’re going to get paid a lot of money no matter where you go. So is it worth it to go somewhere you don’t want to go?  “You might be a guy like me, who is from South Florida and has never played a game in the snow. Is it worth $1 million more a year or $2 million more a year, especially if you’ve been taking care of your money? Is it worth that to be in an environment you don’t want to be in? Or would you rather stay somewhere in the South?”

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I just don't see Beane shelling out that kind of money for WR (nor do I want him to)

I don't mind if Beane shells out that kid of money for a true top 10 wr, but I didn't see a lot of heart in Amari Cooper's game this year in difficult situations, like that Dallas game against New England in the pouring rain. He didn't look like he wanted to toch the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I'm meh on this... I don't love the idea, but I don't hate it either. I prefer we take advantage of the deep WR class. If he wants to sign someone I think there are more economic options, but it isn't my money. 

This surprised me though, and was quite fun to read!

I think those two things are key reasons he won’t be signing here.

1) more economic options

2) deep draft

and don’t forget #3 Cooper basically said he does not want to play in Buffalo while at the Pro Bowl. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Yeah, who wants to score more than 17 points per game anyway?

Ask the Falcons who pay their WR 22 Mill.

and the cowboys that didn't make the play offs with this guy. We need to keep our core in place and it's going to be very expensive in 2-3 years bubba.

He would be more cap hit that Smoke, Beas, Singletary and Knox combined (or at least in that area). Not to mention, we have a solid WR draft coming up. 

Edited by warrior9

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This is where I'm at as well. I wouldn't throw $15-$20mill at Cooper. I think there will be starters to be had even into the 4th Round with this WR class, not counting the typical exceptions who just turn out to be gems. Pass on Cooper.

WR is the one position group on the team where they realistically have ZERO players with a likely long term(3 year or more) future with the team.  

Drafting 2 should be a given.........its virtually inevitable that even doing the right thing and taking BPA that they will run into at least two instances where BPA is a WR...........and I wouldn't be surprised if they took a third or if their top UDFA was a WR.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I'm meh on this... I don't love the idea, but I don't hate it either. I prefer we take advantage of the deep WR class. If he wants to sign someone I think there are more economic options, but it isn't my money. 

This surprised me though, and was quite fun to read!

I say we take advantage of both...why not go 4 deep with WRs....

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve mentally crossed him of the FA list since he publically stated he would not want to go to Buffalo. I would rather draft one or even two given the strength of this class than spend the $ on him. I would take one in the 1st or 2nd rd and then another later if it aligns to the Bills draft board. Already have Brown/Beasley and i like mckenzie. 

...good call Yolo...thought I read that somewhere......diva doesn't fit the process especially if the "flake hates the flakes".....with the class being WR rich according to our TBD Collegiate Gang, could see Beane trading down to 27 or 28 to grab an extra 2nd, finding his value WR pick with either of the two 2nd round picks.....just babbling....

With this deep WR draft class, Buffalo’s money should wisely be spent on the LOS this offseason.

Chris Jones’ situation bears watching. 

If the Chiefs won’t/can’t tag him..............

the Pegula jet should be in overdrive to get him.

It severely weakens the Chiefs and makes a very strong unit for Buffalo that much stronger.

Playing along side a top young talent like Oliver should be very enticing for Jones.

I'd be surprised if the Cowboys tag or attempt to re-sign Cooper here.  For what they gave up in the trade with the Raiders they'd probably be better off never making it.  The Bills might take a look at him but in the end they should quickly run the other way.  He just seems to disappear when things get tough.   He's not a good fit here  based on how our team is being built.  The cap hit it would take to sign Cooper can be wisely put to use elsewhere.  It's a deep draft and there are other options that better fit.  Both parties should be in agreement here.  Cooper isn't interested in the Bills and the Bills shouldn't be interested in Cooper.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

good.  Cooper has been a disappointment, IMHO, and will be overpaid for what he produces.  I'd rather have a rookie, and someone who will cost less like AJ Green.  

He is no better than John Brown. Dallas will overpay him and he will remain good but not great. The Bills should get their WR in the draft & fill other holes in both the draft & free agency.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Even if they sign a WR1 in UFA they need to take advantage of the deep WR class anyway...........Beasley(31) and Brown(30) are aging, undersized targets going into 2020.......late in modestly productive careers...........if they get one more good year out of them they should consider themselves fortunate.

You gotta' take the talent the draft presents you whether it feels like a great need or not.    If that's WR you address it while the iron is hot. 

Badol, has the Bills FO under Beane ever done what you thought they should?

I ask because I'd really like to see us draft at least 2 WR this year so if the answer is "no", perhaps you could "take one for the team" and un-make your suggestion?

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Ask the Falcons who pay their WR 22 Mill.

and the cowboys that didn't make the play offs with this guy. We need to keep our core in place and it's going to be very expensive in 2-3 years bubba.

He would be more cap hit that Smoke, Beas, Singletary and Knox combined (or at least in that area). Not to mention, we have a solid WR draft coming up. 

Your comment was that you didn't want Beane to shell out big money for any WR.  My comment was addressed to that, not to Cooper specifically, although I would not have a problem if the Bills made a run at him.    

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve mentally crossed him of the FA list since he publically stated he would not want to go to Buffalo. I would rather draft one or even two given the strength of this class than spend the $ on him. I would take one in the 1st or 2nd rd and then another later if it aligns to the Bills draft board. Already have Brown/Beasley and i like mckenzie. 

I feel like most guys change their tune after they come here, though.