NFL.com David Carr lists Buffalo as a Potential Destination for WR Amari Cooper

MAJBobby

We need a receiver, but to say we are, “one receiver away from having one of the top offenses in the league” isn’t true. We need to build this offensive line to be a real contender. However, maybe signing a decent free agent WR would free up our draft picks to devote them to building the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

We'd have to make Cooper the highest paid WR in the league to get him here, it'd be another Mario Williams situation. He's not even close to worth that.

I like the idea of getting AJ Green. I know he's had injuries the past few years, but they're more the freak injury type than recurring. Just because it's happened before doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen again. He has (if healthy) at least another 2 years of high level play, and would be the perfect bridge to the WR(s) we draft in the top 3 rounds this year. Green would be a lot cheaper & shorter term than Cooper, and is a much better player (again, when healthy).

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve mentally crossed him of the FA list since he publically stated he would not want to go to Buffalo. I would rather draft one or even two given the strength of this class than spend the $ on him. I would take one in the 1st or 2nd rd and then another later if it aligns to the Bills draft board. Already have Brown/Beasley and i like mckenzie. 

This is where I'm at as well. I wouldn't throw $15-$20mill at Cooper. I think there will be starters to be had even into the 4th Round with this WR class, not counting the typical exceptions who just turn out to be gems. Pass on Cooper.

• Like (+1) 1

Amari Cooper already threw cold water on this idea at the Pro Bowl.

https://theathletic.com/1569231/2020/01/29/are-the-bills-shaking-the-siberian-stigma-it-depends-what-matters-to-nfl-players-in-free-agency/ (sub. req.)

“Location, location, location,” Cooper said when asked his impression of Buffalo as a free-agent destination. “If I had to sum it up in three words, that’s what they would be.”

What about money, money, money?

“I don’t think it’s all about money,” Cooper said. “Most players in the NFL, and if you’re a highly touted free agent, you’re going to get paid a lot of money no matter where you go. So is it worth it to go somewhere you don’t want to go?”

“You might be a guy like me, who is from South Florida and has never played a game in the snow. Is it worth $1 million more a year or $2 million more a year, especially if you’ve been taking care of your money? Is it worth that to be in an environment you don’t want to be in? Or would you rather stay somewhere in the South?”

That doesn’t sound like a player that’s interested in Buffalo.

Cooper (along with Yannick) are 2 incredibly over hyped guys for the production they bring.  I'm glad he doesn't want Buffalo because I do not want them to blow tons of cash on him.

Here are some interesting Cooper stats for you:

8 out of 16 games he had less than 5 catches

12 out of 16 games he failed to crack 100 yards receiving

7 out of 16 games he failed to crack 50 yards receiving

When the Cowboys season was on the line 4th and 8 with 1:21 to go he was benched for Tavon Austin!!!!  His own coaches in a do or die situation decided they would rather have Tavon freaking Austin out there.

Here is a quote from him 

“It’s frustrating,” Cooper said. "You’ve got to look the ball all the way through before you run. That’s the main thing you want to do when it comes to catching the ball. And that’s just the challenge. It’s a challenge for some guys. I know it’s a challenge for me at times.

"If this game was played to where you couldn't have run-after-the-catch, then you would catch everything because you wouldn't even think about running before you catch. And that's just a challenge for every receiver, I think. You're just so anxious to score a touchdown or get however many yards after the catch to where you don't look the ball all the way through every time."

I am glad he doesn't want Buffalo...

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve mentally crossed him of the FA list since he publically stated he would not want to go to Buffalo. I would rather draft one or even two given the strength of this class than spend the $ on him. I would take one in the 1st or 2nd rd and then another later if it aligns to the Bills draft board. Already have Brown/Beasley and i like mckenzie. 

I'm surprised you say you like McKenzie. Other than some of his jet sweeps, I thought he largely disappeared in games. His hands were better this year, but he wasn't much of a down field threat, lacked in getting separation and has a small catch radius. He seems more of a gadget guy than a reliable 3 or 4 WR.

I think that we would be best served to target guys that fit Buffalo. I'm not going to bash Cooper for his preferences because I can understand his point of view. He wants to be somewhere warm and that is fine.

Hopefully they stay the course with guys who have something to prove and are looking for opportunity. I don't think overpaying to convince someone to come to Buffalo makes sense. 

Pivotal off-season coming and I'm a little concerned because I don't love too many options.

i trust the front office to not sign a guy to big money who sucks, so given that caveat, i'm totally on board w cooper.

he may not be the best, and he may end up costing like the best, but i figure he's as good or better than watkins, and having watkins as the 3rd guy basically just won KC the super bowl.

draft a guy, sign cooper, olsen (i'm off hooper now that olsen is there), and go pay clowney (or whoever, but i think he fits us like a glove cuz he does the dirty work and mauls people) and draft RB2 and OT as well and we are looking at a monster team.  could even extend big play tre and put a lot of that cap space left over to use so we have more room later.

We have the 4th most money to spend currently.

we made the playoffs last year

we don’t have any must sign free agents from last years team

we should be on the list of potential suitors for every good WR, TE, Pass rusher, DT, G, OT, SLB and cb

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I'm meh on this... I don't love the idea, but I don't hate it either. I prefer we take advantage of the deep WR class.

Even if they sign a WR1 in UFA they need to take advantage of the deep WR class anyway...........Beasley(31) and Brown(30) are aging, undersized targets going into 2020.......late in modestly productive careers...........if they get one more good year out of them they should consider themselves fortunate.

You gotta' take the talent the draft presents you whether it feels like a great need or not.    If that's WR you address it while the iron is hot.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1