SI's Albert Breer implies Bills might take a QB high in the draft?? EDIT: He since apologized

I just read this in Breer's just-released SI column:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/05/2019-lessons-learned-mailbag-tom-brady

"From Brad Hesch (@bhesch34): Any initial thoughts about the #Bills draft targets? I keep hearing WR but I think DE is a need.

Brad, I believe those are the two areas highest on their list, if they don’t take a quarterback high in the draft. And I think it’ll be easier this year to get a good receiver later on than it will be to find a good pass rusher past the first round. So I’m with you in thinking pass rusher could be the way they go.

At 13, will there be a pass rusher worth taking? Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, if he slips that far, would be, I believe, and LSU’s K’Lavon Chaisson, a former blue-chip recruit who really turned it on as last year wore on, would be an intriguing option with a ton of upside. From there, there’s probably a little bit of a drop-off, which illustrates why taking one in the first round might make some strategic sense."

WTF? Did Breer just say the Bills might draft QB high, and that they draft at 13? Or did I misinterpret this?? He's a major sports columnist, so I doubt he would make a mistake of this magnitude.

------------

EDIT: As @whatdroughtand @Hapless Bills Fan said below, Breer was referring to the Colts. Breer has since apologized in his tweet, which I posted below.

Edited by class_of_2012

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

He read the question as the Colts who also need WR, DE, and QB. Kind of a stupid mistake to make, but not a huge deal.

Also, his take on Rosen is laughable. These main stream guys still refuse to admit that Rosen's just not good, and has a bad attitude. 

Ahhhh...got it! Thanks for the explanation.

28 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Another good reason Sports Illustrated is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

And whatdrought is correct, he Rosen "take" is asinine.

Actually, Breer, who I read every week, is in my opinion the best columnist in the business. This is probably just a mistake. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

Ahhhh...got it! Thanks for the explanation.

He doesn't actually say Rosen is good; he says he hasn't had a chance and has had 5 coordinators in 5 seasons. Which is true.

This comment from Breer is absolutely true, and it's why the Bills need to think about upgrading:

Backup quarterbacks matter. You know the story of Tannehill. He bailed out a team that was ready to win in so many places, but also on course to pay for missing on a QB taken second overall five years ago. You probably haven’t heard as much on Matt Moore, who the Chiefs lured from a scouting job with the Dolphins when Chad Henne got hurt.

Moore went 2-1 in place of Mahomes, if you include the game where Mahomes dislocated his kneecap. And you can argue his ability to lead a game-winning drive against a stout Vikings defense in Week 9 helped Kansas City win the Super Bowl. If the Chiefs didn't win that one, they wouldn't have gotten the bye, and they would've had to play the Titans in the wild-card round and go to Foxborough to play the Patriots in the divisional round.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t have won it all anyway. But it would’ve been a lot tougher. And on the flip side, the Steelers’ mess of a backup quarterback situation felled a season in which they finally found a way to fix a defense that’s been wobbly for close to a decade, only to lose Ben Roethlisberger early on. Which makes me think…

• Like (+1) 3

No, to either of them (QB nor #13). No way we bring in a high pick at QB with the one they mortgaged the old team and multiple high picks for, who’s starting for just his 2nd season and a REASON they nearly made the 2nd round of the playoffs. Too valuable of a pick to build the team around him for.

• Like (+1) 3

I could see us upgrading the backup position with a 3rd or later pick if someone slips or we like someone like Jalen Hurts--who is a project; more likely, I see a FA being brought in to challenge for the backup spot.  I think Barkely is adequate, but if Bean and Co. see a major upgrade, I think they take it....just not in 1-3 rounds.  

58 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

I just read this in Breer's just-released SI column:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/05/2019-lessons-learned-mailbag-tom-brady

"From Brad Hesch (@bhesch34): Any initial thoughts about the #Bills draft targets? I keep hearing WR but I think DE is a need.

Brad, I believe those are the two areas highest on their list, if they don’t take a quarterback high in the draft. And I think it’ll be easier this year to get a good receiver later on than it will be to find a good pass rusher past the first round. So I’m with you in thinking pass rusher could be the way they go.

At 13, will there be a pass rusher worth taking? Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, if he slips that far, would be, I believe, and LSU’s K’Lavon Chaisson, a former blue-chip recruit who really turned it on as last year wore on, would be an intriguing option with a ton of upside. From there, there’s probably a little bit of a drop-off, which illustrates why taking one in the first round might make some strategic sense."

WTF? Did Breer just say the Bills might draft QB high, and that they draft at 13? Or did I misinterpret this?? He's a major sports columnist, so I doubt he would make a mistake of this magnitude.

I believe in one of his post-season pressers, Beane was straight out asked if the Bills would consider drafting a QB in the early rounds or making a play for a FA QB and he flat out said that hedging your bets like that is something you do when you have concerns that the guy you got might not work out and that's not where the Bills are.  I think Beane and McDermott try to be close-mouthed about some things, but when they say something I think it's usually straight shooting.

Breer is obviously confused and is not talking about the Bills, but rather about Indianapolis, who draft 13.

It's a pretty big gaffe.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He doesn't actually say Rosen is good; he says he hasn't had a chance and has had 5 coordinators in 5 seasons. Which is true.

In his response regarding Roesn: 

Mitch, my sense is the Dolphins made up their mind on Rosen watching him during camp, and in practice, which is why they weren’t more eager to put him out there on game day. Right or wrong, the coaches had a shot to see more. They declined. The shame of it for him is that if he was with a team that spent, say, the 10th pick of the draft on him, there’d probably be more emphasis on developing him, and he’d have more shots to play.

That, actually, is part of the damage done to Rosen last year. He went from a Cardinals team that had deeply invested in him with the No. 1 overall pick to one that took a flier on him, which naturally means there’s going to be less opportunity for him. I still think the kid has talent. But he’s played for five offensive coordinators the last five years, and that’ll take a toll on any quarterback. And that becomes another problem: Other teams might see you as damaged goods.

In the end, I’d say the chances he’s the long-term answer in Miami are small. The question now would be whether or not someone offers something for him. Because I do think the Dolphins would consider moving him.

I find it to be the same company line we've been hearing about Rosen since his rookie year- he's a victim of circumstance. If he hadn't been on a bad team, if he hadn't been given up on immediately, if he hadn't been benched in Miami, blah blah blah. But there's no willingness from those who were completely positive that Rosen was a sure thing coming out to admit that, i dunno... maybe he's just not good? Undoubtedly he's had a hard row to hoe, but what's happening behind the scenes that has two teams invested in him (and a second round pick isn't the no investment that he argues) are done with him so soon. He hasn't done anything to earn development from two teams that had a stake in his future. Could be they're missing out on his potential, or it could be that he's just not good and he's got a bad tude. Meanwhile, Allen, who the "educated" knew would be terrible, cannot do anything good without an asterisk beside it. 

** But you're right- he doesn't say anything truly positive about Rosen, and what he says about his circumstances is right. He could rebound, but I don't expect it. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe in one of his post-season pressers, Beane was straight out asked if the Bills would consider drafting a QB in the early rounds or making a play for a FA QB and he flat out said that hedging your bets like that is something you do when you have concerns that the guy you got might not work out and that's not where the Bills are.  I think Beane and McDermott try to be close-mouthed about some things, but when they say something I think it's usually straight shooting.

Breer is obviously confused and is not talking about the Bills, but rather about Indianapolis, who draft 13.

It's a pretty big gaffe.

He's gotta crank out a couple of pieces a day, it seems. Mistakes happen. Not really a biggie. He's a Josh Allen fan and interviewed before the 2019 season. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

In his response regarding Roesn: 

I find it to be the same company line we've been hearing about Rosen since his rookie year- he's a victim of circumstance. If he hadn't been on a bad team, if he hadn't been given up on immediately, if he hadn't been benched in Miami, blah blah blah. But there's no willingness from those who were completely positive that Rosen was a sure thing coming out to admit that, i dunno... maybe he's just not good? Undoubtedly he's had a hard row to hoe, but what's happening behind the scenes that has two teams invested in him (and a second round pick isn't the no investment that he argues) are done with him so soon. He hasn't done anything to earn development from two teams that had a stake in his future. Could be they're missing out on his potential, or it could be that he's just not good and he's got a bad tude. Meanwhile, Allen, who the "educated" knew would be terrible, cannot do anything good without an asterisk beside it. 

All he says is that "he has talent" - nothing more, nothing less. The thing is, he is talented. He throws a beautiful ball, is accurate, is technically sound, and has good size. That might not translate into good in the NFL because so much else goes into it, but he is without question talented.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

All he says is that "he has talent" - nothing more, nothing less. The thing is, he is talented. He throws a beautiful ball, is accurate, is technically sound, and has good size. That might not translate into good in the NFL because so much else goes into it, but he is without question talented.  

Not sure how you define technically sound?

Either way, I put an asterisk on my post to make it clear I hadn't blown past your actual point. I just went ranty on Rosen cause it bothers me. :P

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Had 16 starts on two differnt teams, how many chances is Rosen going to get?  His numbers in yr 2 at Miami actually got worse.  Fitzpatrick proved there was enough talent on Miami to win but not with Rosen at QB.  Maybe it wil someday click and your point regarding changin OCs is credible but wasnt Rosen supposedly the "most NFL ready" of the top QB prospects that year/

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1