PFF 2017 Draft Redo . 2 Bills picked in top 20.

JerseyBills

8. CAROLINA PANTHERS: CB TRE’DAVIOUS WHITE

Previous Pick: RB Christian McCaffrey

Passing on McCaffrey might rub some fans in Charlotte the wrong way, but if given the choice, the Panthers should be taking a shutdown cornerback like White over McCaffrey 10 times out of 10. Since entering the league, White has allowed a passer rating of 59.8, over five points lower than any other cornerback with 150 or more targets over that span. In 2019, he didn’t allow a single touchdown pass into his coverage on 568 coverage snaps. Shutting down opposing wide receivers like that is simply more valuable than what McCaffrey is able to do as a ball carrier and as a receiver out of the backfield. Not to mention, it’s something that the Panthers could sorely use right now.

20. DENVER BRONCOS: T DION DAWKINS

Previous Pick: T Garett Bolles

The battle for the second-best tackle in the class is pretty close between Dawkins, Taylor Moton and Garett Bolles, but the Broncos opt for Dawkins in the redraft. He has been as reliable as they come in pass protection, recording pass-blocking grades above 75.0 each season of his career to this point. If he’s able to get his run-blocking consistently up to the level that we saw in his rookie season when he picked up a run-blocking grade of 78.7, Dawkins could begin to push towards that next tier of tackles around the league.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-redrafting-the-first-round-of-the-2017-nfl-draft

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tre at 8 is insulting to be honest 

well he ended up being their 19th best rated corner by the end of this season.... so I wouldn't expect much less from them.

that site ranked 18 corners over white. try and wrap your brain around that. its absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I honestly didn’t even read the list but a 1st team all-pro, at a premium position, gets drafted higher than 8.

Oh absolutely. You have Mahomes, Watson, and Garrett top 3. After that I find it hard to put anyone ahead of White. 

18 minutes ago, Philo said:

Oh absolutely. You have Mahomes, Watson, and Garrett top 3. After that I find it hard to put anyone ahead of White. 

Actually they have us staying at 10 and grabbing Garret. I'm sure the helmet incident is a huge reason. 

He's the 3rd defender taken behind Adams and TJ Watt , I think all 3 are All pros at their positions. Watt was also a DPOY candidate. So highly debatable. 

Bottom line , just shows how great our drafting has been. Incredible value since McDermott came along. 

50 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Actually they have us staying at 10 and grabbing Garret. I'm sure the helmet incident is a huge reason. 

He's the 3rd defender taken behind Adams and TJ Watt , I think all 3 are All pros at their positions. Watt was also a DPOY candidate. So highly debatable. 

Bottom line , just shows how great our drafting has been. Incredible value since McDermott came along. 

The helmet incident is the only reason I can think of he would slip that far. You did remind me of Watt though, he could also go before White. Either way if we are redrafting based solely on how the players have done on the field then White is top 5. I wouldn't put Adams ahead of him. 

On 2/5/2020 at 11:10 AM, Philo said:

The helmet incident is the only reason I can think of he would slip that far. You did remind me of Watt though, he could also go before White. Either way if we are redrafting based solely on how the players have done on the field then White is top 5. I wouldn't put Adams ahead of him. 

I agree. I'd take White over Adams without hesitation. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

There was one released this week that had 3 Bills taken in the first....White, Dawkins, and our fabulous Matt Milano.

However, we did sort of whiff on two players who now are with the Raiders.  Zay Jones in the 2nd and Nate Peterman in the 4th.

Great draft, overall. Right?

By the way, I nearly gave this its own topic today, but searched and found this from February.  OK?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

There was one released this week that had 3 Bills taken in the first....White, Dawkins, and our fabulous Matt Milano.

However, we did sort of whiff on two players who now are with the Raiders.  Zay Jones in the 2nd and Nate Peterman in the 4th.

Great draft, overall. Right?

By the way, I nearly gave this its own topic today, but searched and found this from February.  OK?

Jones was miss but all teams miss on 4th rounders so will not hold that against them.

Most of these guys over Mccaffrey is just laughable. This is a re-draft WITH hindsight, correct? Mccaffrey is an absolute beast and accounts for such a large percentage of Carolina’s yards. Juju, in his first season without a pro-bowl QB and one of the best receivers to ever play the game (when sane), ended with 552 yards and 3 TDS. He broke 100 yards once this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a rare defender of PFF around here, but ...

... really, with 20-20 hindsight nobody is taking Tre White over McCaffrey. Nobody. It would make sense to say "Tre White at 27 overall has provided better value than McCaffrey at 8" but that's not the same thing as saying Carolina would have/should have taken him at 8. Just plain silly.

As for the other pick (Dawkins over Bolles): duh. Bolles is generally considered a bust. He started all last year only because the Broncos literally had no one else to take his job. They paid a lot for Juwaun James to play RT and he was barely active all year. Elijah Wilkinson was kind of the every position backup and was trash filling in at RT, and there was nobody to bump Bolles. Dawkins a solid (with upside) starting LT. No special insight needed there.

• Haha (+1) 1

PFF has no relevance when football is being discussed.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:49 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I honestly didn’t even read the list but a 1st team all-pro, at a premium position, gets drafted higher than 8.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. I think he should be around 5 or 6. I think the fact that he is a strong zone corner rather than playing a to of press man coverage (Gilmore, Revis, etc.) is what probably is keeping him out of the top 5 by PFF

1. Mahomes 

2. Watson

3. Kittle
4. Godwin

5. Jamal Adams 
6. Watt

7. Ramczyk

8. Tre

I do have a hard time with a TE being that high even with how good Kittle has been. I also think they went the politically correct route by keeping Garret down. 

• Like (+1) 1