Rolling Stones coming back to the Ralph!

Buffalo716

On 2/5/2020 at 12:18 AM, Augie said:

My first concert as a kid in ‘75 or 76 was the Stones at Rich Stadium.  THAT was eye opening! Not only was the music and the crowd amazing, they had bed sheets hanging from the upper bowl with the menu of the illicit items for sale. I thought I had stepped through the looking glass! 

I think I next saw them there in the summer of ‘78, and it was still good, but not life changing. In the mid 90’s in Tampa, I think I wanted to nap as much as the band. It was slightly better than a good episode of Murder, She Wrote. 

I was 16 when I went to that one in '78 and the floor was like Woodstock.  I still remember the one guy's sign saying "Wanna OD?  Come see me"  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I saw them last summer in Houston (my 12th time since 1978), and they were still pretty damn good.  Yeah, they are old, but they aren't dead. Every time I see them, I assume it will be the last time...but it looks like I have an Austin and Buffalo show in my future.  

My only real complaint about their shows is that with a catalog of close to 500 songs, it would be great to see them dig a little deeper for some deeper cuts. Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman and Jumping Jack Flash are amazing songs...but I would be fine if they didn't do them every time I see them.  GIve me Time Waits For No One, or Slave...so many great songs....why limit it to pretty much the same 23-25 songs every night?

• Like (+1) 1

I saw them at Rich Stadium in September of '81 I believe, and then 2 months later at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse ... 39 years ago, God I'm old.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:50 AM, Augie said:

Not your Grampa? That makes me feel better!  :)

It really was a great show. I am going to see the Eagles on Friday (three shows in Atlanta). First time seeing them, and I’m actually not too excited about it. It was $1,500 for 4 upper bowl seats (mighty pricey for meh seats), and while their music is “fine”, I usually change the station when their songs come on. 

A good thread would be who would you MOST want to see, and I think my answer would be Van Morrison. 

THAT I would be excited about. The Eagles is something to do on a Friday night after dinner with friends.

This Summer ,,, Incubus and 311

On 2/5/2020 at 11:48 AM, BillsFanNC said:

When they spurned Buffalo for the Steel Wheels tour I remember 97 Rock calling it the Steel Wheelchairs tour. In 1989!

Other "Rolling Stones are old" jokes I recall... Instead of panties, female fans throw Depends on stage. They changed the lyrics of "Get off of my Cloud" to"Get off of my Lawn."

On 2/4/2020 at 9:18 PM, Augie said:

My first concert as a kid in ‘75 or 76 was the Stones at Rich Stadium.  THAT was eye opening! Not only was the music and the crowd amazing, they had bed sheets hanging from the upper bowl with the menu of the illicit items for sale. I thought I had stepped through the looking glass! 

I think I next saw them there in the summer of ‘78, and it was still good, but not life changing. In the mid 90’s in Tampa, I think I wanted to nap as much as the band. It was slightly better than a good episode of Murder, She Wrote. 

I was at both of those shows. The 78 show was the 4th of July, after the show we all went to my friend's beach house at Sunset Bay and partied all weekend. Good times indeed!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:26 AM, Buftex said:

I saw them last summer in Houston (my 12th time since 1978), and they were still pretty damn good.  Yeah, they are old, but they aren't dead. Every time I see them, I assume it will be the last time...but it looks like I have an Austin and Buffalo show in my future.  

My only real complaint about their shows is that with a catalog of close to 500 songs, it would be great to see them dig a little deeper for some deeper cuts. Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman and Jumping Jack Flash are amazing songs...but I would be fine if they didn't do them every time I see them.  GIve me Time Waits For No One, or Slave...so many great songs....why limit it to pretty much the same 23-25 songs every night?

Why only play the same 23 or so songs everytime?  Guessing it probably has something to do with them pushing 80 and having spent the better part of the last 60 years frying their brains.  They've got most of those 23 locked down but probably don't even remember 1/2 their catalog.  :p. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Why only play the same 23 or so songs everytime?  Guessing it probably has something to do with them pushing 80 and having spent the better part of the last 60 years frying their brains.  They've got most of those 23 locked down but probably don't even remember 1/2 their catalog.  :p. 

most rock tours are the same set list, with the internet you can see for yourself

Charlie’s 29 minute drum solo is usually 2/3 of the way through

There are some positives about the current set lists. The Keith set and Miss You make for a nice extended piss break. Also, you can get a head start on exiting traffic as soon as Gimme Shelter ends and Satisfaction begins.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1