What Are We Going To Do for Backup QB Next Year?

Irv

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Never going to happen as the Skins won't release him given his 32 million dead cap hit (21.4 million if they keep him).  We'd never want to take on that salary via trade.

He would never be cleared to play again anyway.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

We’ve got a poll/thread on whether to trade our first round pick for some WR on the Carolina Panthers.  It’s gonna be a long offseason.

Saying ‘Carolina Panthers’ around here is STILL to many analogous to saying ‘Randolph Scott’ in Rock Ridge.

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

People are worried about who the backup QB will be? Really? 

Kind of beats worrying who the starting QB will be IMHO

52 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

This sounds like a loser mentality and it doesn't have to be that way.  The Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater, & Tannehill's Titans played in the AFC Championship.  With the number of FA QBs + the depth in the draft, there will be much better options than Barkley.

That may be true, but I don't believe Beane will be ponying up a big FA contract for backup QB.  So we're going to have to wait and see who is actually available after the dust settles.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He would never be cleared to play again anyway.

Can you say more about this, because I know this is a topic where you have expert knowledge?  Why do you feel it's a "never" situation?

Rivera has been interviewed talking as though it 's a real possibility Smith could come in and compete to start, and Smith has repeatedly stated it as a goal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ron-rivera-doesnt-want-forget-alex-smith-potential-redskins-qb-competition

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kind of beats worrying who the starting QB will be IMHO

Sure...I just don't understand the tremendous angst that's present almost every day with the team's roster. 

I'd rather live my life.  I've seen multiple HS classmates who passed away in recent weeks.  People being diagnosed with cancer. Life's too short to worry so much. 

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not sure they’ll bother. Maybe another low dart throw like tyree hoping to strike a little fools gold. But let’s be honest, if Josh is hurt long term the season is over anyways. They can still ground and pound a win or two with Barkley and be ok. 

No, they can't.  I like what Barkley has done for Josh as a teammate, but the Bills are in real trouble if Josh is out for a couple of games.  Barkley simply can't make enough NFL throws.  Backup QB is absolutely a position of need this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

No, they can't.  I like what Barkley has done for Josh as a teammate, but the Bills are in real trouble if Josh is out for a couple of games.  Barkley simply can't make enough NFL throws.  Backup QB is absolutely a position of need this offseason.

Sure they can. Josh isn’t always exactly lighting up the pass game. This team can easily win with the run game and short passing game. Barkley would be fine if he played 2-3 games and singletary ran well. We have always been a better run team than pass team under Mcdermott. This isn’t like the Tampa bay Bucs who can’t run and have to throw 50 times a game. 
I stand by my statement I think they would draft another late round prospect hoping to find some fools gold. All this Dalton and Mariota kinda talk ain’t happening. Going to be a huge quarterback carousel this offseason and a lot of jobs available for the better games out there. Taking a stab in the 5th round or later isn’t the worst idea. 

27 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Sure...I just don't understand the tremendous angst that's present almost every day with the team's roster. 

I'd rather live my life.  I've seen multiple HS classmates who passed away in recent weeks.  People being diagnosed with cancer. Life's too short to worry so much. 

Um...this is a football board. 

Discussing football is what we do here. 

If it strikes you as "angst" or "worrying" or failure to "live your life" rather than an agreeable pastime, perhaps this board isn't a good fit?  I say that in a spirit of positive feedback.

• Like (+1) 2

I have not read all of the posts, but in response to the original post, I say you keep Barkley and draft a young, developmental QB in the mid-to-late rounds.  Barkley, playing with the starters is serviceable and he is a good team guy/mentor for Josh.

7 minutes ago, Irv said:

It's a distinct possibility if Brady goes to Miami.

hes literally the perfect backup. HE can win you games and is a borderline genius so hes good to have in the qb room and his teammates love the guy

Edited by Wsam4031
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Irv said:

With the top UFA's out there -  I have to think most want to be starters or retire.  We can't stick with Barkley right?.   He was great in the one Jets game a while back but sucked this year.  Any thoughts?   With Josh running so much  worried he will get clocked.  

Would you prefer Nick Mullens or Matt Moore?  They are the backups for the Chiefs and 49er's.  Do you think either of those teams would have made the SB playing their backup?  How many teams wouldn't be in big trouble if they needed to rely on their backup for more than a week or two? Matt Moore certainly has more experience than Barkley, but not sure how much was good.  On top of that Barkley played one game with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers and a very stripped down game plan.  If they get someone else, great, but not anything near the top of their priority list.

Buffalo isn't a desired place to come as you know barring injury Allen is the starter all year so if you want to have the opportunity to start, it's not here. Where as this past year, Fitz and Tannerhill went to places that had starters who were on somewhat shaky ground so they knew they may get a chance to take over and they did.  Can see a guy like a Dalton, Winston, Cam, Flacco, etc if any are cut looking for places like the Tenn and Miami 's of this year.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you say more about this, because I know this is a topic where you have expert knowledge?  Why do you feel it's a "never" situation?

Rivera has been interviewed talking as though it 's a real possibility Smith could come in and compete to start, and Smith has repeatedly stated it as a goal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ron-rivera-doesnt-want-forget-alex-smith-potential-redskins-qb-competition

He had an open tib-fib fracture and many subsequent complications and 17 procedures to save his leg.  That bone has been eaten through.  He's 35 years old.  If he reinjures it, it's unlikely they could fix it again.  Why would he do this? He's getting paid.  He's had a good run.

"Smith developed sepsis, a potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when the body is fighting infection. As his medical team fought to save his life, he was under heavy sedation for pain and his memories of the early stages were limited. But there was another decision that was yet to come.

Smith told Schaap, "... [the] next thing I remember is waking up several weeks later faced with the decision of amputation or limb salvage at that point."

Edited by Mr. WEO