What Are We Going To Do for Backup QB Next Year?

Irv

4 hours ago, Irv said:

With the top UFA's out there -  I have to think most want to be starters or retire.  We can't stick with Barkley right?.   He was great in the one Jets game a while back but sucked this year.  Any thoughts?   With Josh running so much  worried he will get clocked.  

We can stick with Barkley.

Don't know if we will, but it's arguably the most likely choice.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Irv said:

With the top UFA's out there -  I have to think most want to be starters or retire.  We can't stick with Barkley right?.   He was great in the one Jets game a while back but sucked this year.  Any thoughts?   With Josh running so much  worried he will get clocked.  

Just draft one on Day 3 and let him fight it out with MB. Not that crucial.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally I think Barkley should have to compete for the job this year. I'd sign a FA QB though not one of the bigger names on the market maybe a Keenum or a Colt McCoy and I'd take a day 3 kid in the draft too. If Barkley beats them out (I reckon he wouldn't if it was Keenum but might if it was McCoy and who knows with a rookie) then fair enough. But last year he had zero competition. Beating out the UDFA kid from Buffalo was not a contest. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not sure they’ll bother. Maybe another low dart throw like tyree hoping to strike a little fools gold. But let’s be honest, if Josh is hurt long term the season is over anyways. They can still ground and pound a win or two with Barkley and be ok. 

That’s why I’m of the opinion that you not only invest in a good backup QB, you also carry a 3rd.  If you’re serious about winning, you don’t have a backup that can’t win games for you and you don’t have a guy who played some QB in high school as your emergency quarterback.  It’s the most important position on the team.

I don’t understand why most teams don’t carry a 3rd QB on the roster.  Your starter gets hurt and is going to miss games, so your backup is now starting and you’re going to then add a guy from the practice squad or off the street?  The Bills are said to have a complex offense.   Could they really expect to have someone learn enough on one week. They’d have to really limit the number of plays.

There are currently only 16 games in an NFL season.  If you want to make the playoffs, you shouldn’t be cheap with the backup QBs.

Ideally, I'd love if this regime was able to sign Mariota, Dalton, or Keenum.  I doubt Beane goes after them though as this regime seems sold on Barkley.

So....realistically I'd rather have a somewhat mobile QB that sucks rather than a stationary one that sucks.  So, I'd sign Blake Bortles and let him battle it out with Barkley.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

what about Alex Smith? Is he healthy enough to play football?

Never going to happen as the Skins won't release him given his 32 million dead cap hit (21.4 million if they keep him).  We'd never want to take on that salary via trade.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Irv said:

Mariota

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

People are worried about who the backup QB will be? Really? 

We’ve got a poll/thread on whether to trade our first round pick for some WR on the Carolina Panthers who’s not even on the market.  It’s gonna be a long offseason.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, rayray808 said:

gotta weigh two things:

1) best back up QB to help mentor and support Josh

2) best back up QB to step in just in case Josh goes down

Barkley is great at 1 and question mark on 2, if we bring in someone who is great at 2 but not at 1 - that would be the big question/debate for the front office

Josh is going into his 3rd year... so #1 is no longer needed.

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

what about Alex Smith? Is he healthy enough to play football?

You dont want a guy who you know wont take you anywhere.

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not sure they’ll bother. Maybe another low dart throw like tyree hoping to strike a little fools gold. But let’s be honest, if Josh is hurt long term the season is over anyways. They can still ground and pound a win or two with Barkley and be ok. 

This sounds like a loser mentality and it doesn't have to be that way.  The Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater, & Tannehill's Titans played in the AFC Championship.  With the number of FA QBs + the depth in the draft, there will be much better options than Barkley.