What Are We Going To Do for Backup QB Next Year?

Irv

With the top UFA's out there -  I have to think most want to be starters or retire.  We can't stick with Barkley right?.   He was great in the one Jets game a while back but sucked this year.  Any thoughts?   With Josh running so much  worried he will get clocked.  

There is going to be an influx of young QBs in the draft coming into the league, including 3 or more who will be drafted in the first round.   The teams that draft them are going to let somebody go.  That will change the mix of what is available.  From the Bills perspective, I think most would say Barkley's underwhelming performance in relief of Josh Allen this past season makes his continued presence very much a question mark.  That's about all we do know, however.  Davis Webb has a decent combination of size and skill set, but he done nothing in the league.  What we don't know about is what he's done in practice as a Bills PS player.  That could have a bearing on whether or not Beane has any thought that he could be a legit backup to Allen.  In Allen's third year, Beane and McDermott might think they could take a chance on using a younger backup instead of a grizzled veteran.  In any case, I think there are a number of directions they could conceivably go depending on what they are thinking, and we don't know what they are thinking.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m not sure they’ll bother. Maybe another low dart throw like tyree hoping to strike a little fools gold. But let’s be honest, if Josh is hurt long term the season is over anyways. They can still ground and pound a win or two with Barkley and be ok. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Irv said:

With the top UFA's out there -  I have to think most want to be starters or retire.  We can't stick with Barkley right?.   He was great in the one Jets game a while back but sucked this year.  Any thoughts?   With Josh running so much  worried he will get clocked. 

No way to tell what we'll do until we see which guys actually become FA and the first tier of FA shakes out.  It also depends upon how much they like what Davis Webb has shown.

Keep in mind that Barkley's struggling performance in Week 16 is a very unusual circumstance.  He didn't step in behind the starting OL and hand off to the starting RB or throw to the starting WRs and TE; he was handing off to the #3 RB and throwing to the backup guys while the starters stood on the sideline in street clothes.  So if he does have to come in, I would expect his performance to be closer to last year than this year.   But it might be a message to him that he better hit the gym harder in the off season and also get a tune-up on his throwing technique.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The bills would be wise to stick with Barkley because of the commaradarie and rapport he and josh allen have (California boys) and the bills would be wiser to wait for Cincinnati to unload Andy Dalton and pounce on him and Aj green......

we we need to run the no huddle offense with the talent we will have (Greg Olsen, Aj green, and last years crew on offense)

• Like (+1) 1

gotta weigh two things:

1) best back up QB to help mentor and support Josh

2) best back up QB to step in just in case Josh goes down

Barkley is great at 1 and question mark on 2, if we bring in someone who is great at 2 but not at 1 - that would be the big question/debate for the front office

• Thank you (+1) 1