Scharfenberger to close Buffalo's Christ the King Seminary

ALF

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

You should check out our PPP board. :lol:

that place scares me.

21 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Isn't that Lutheranism? (AKA "Catholic Lite")

i'm not sure about the specifics of lutheranism, but this church just about made the pope's head explode.  

18 hours ago, ALF said:

I'm nearing the end and just don't know what to think any more about religion . 

“Man” will always disappoint. Organized religion is man-made; even Jesus had to clean out the temple from those who misused it for unholy purposes—Matthew 21:12-15

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

“Man” will always disappoint. Organized religion is man-made; even Jesus had to clean out the temple from those who misused it for unholy purposes—Matthew 21:12-15

Yes, the events of what has been happening have been disappointing to me, but it hasn't shook my faith.  That bugs some people when I say that, but it essentially comes from the fact that my faith is my own and it is my relationship with God.  The failings of men are their failings and their inability to take right actions are frustrating, but it is on them.  

I am not judging the religious leaders throughout history, but I am and always have recognized their limitations, just as I have considered my own limitations and failings in actions taken, or what I have failed to do.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes, the events of what have been happening have been disappointing to me, but it hasn't shook my faith.  That bugs some people when I say that, but it essentially comes from the fact that my faith is my own and it is my relationship with God.  The failings of men are their failings and their inability to take right actions are frustrating, but it is on them.  

I am not judging the religious leaders throughout history, but I am and always have recognized their limitations, just as I have considered my own limitations and failings in actions taken, or what I have failed to do.  

You’ve eloquently made the ultimate point here, and I thank you for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I would not say it is all that different except for the very important fact that divorce is recognized by the Lutheran Church.

It's recognized in Catholicism too, but they call it "annulment," as if it never happened. My brother was married for 24 years. He and his wife had a son together. After they divorced, he met someone and wanted to remarry, but the only way to do that in the Catholic church is to have the first marriage annulled. (You guessed it: there's a fee involved in that process.) So basically, pay a tithe and the church will turn a blind eye to your first marriage.

I'm sorry, but that's just a racket.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It's recognized in Catholicism too, but they call it "annulment," as if it never happened. My brother was married for 24 years. He and his wife had a son together. After they divorced, he met someone and wanted to remarry, but the only way to do that in the Catholic church is to have the first marriage annulled. (You guessed it: there's a fee involved in that process.) So basically, pay a tithe and the church will turn a blind eye to your first marriage.

I'm sorry, but that's just a racket.

Lutherans go to the lawyer and then done and done.  They don't need their church to sign off on it.  That aside my understanding is that even in modern times less than 10 percent of annulments are granted by the Catholic Church.  Even Henry VIII could not buy his way out of his marriages with the pope.  Henry VIII wanted to stay with the Catholic Church pretty bad so if money would have greased the skids I'm sure Henry VIII would have sent the pope gold, silver, or some other form of wealth.  

19 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

my understanding is that even in modern times less than 10 percent of annulments are granted by the Catholic Church.

It's the opposite, unless something drastically changed in 7 years:

“In most years since 1980, this has fluctuated between 85 percent and 92 percent,” Mr. Gray said. “In 2012, nine in 10 cases resulted in a ruling of nullity.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/15/annulments-plummet-among-us-catholics-amid-fewer-m/

7 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/15/annulments-plummet-among-us-catholics-amid-fewer-m/

But I wonder how many were not filed because the expectation was there that an annulment would not be granted.  I'd ask the parish priest but that might give him the wrong idea in regards to my wife.  I just remember while I was growing up a few decades ago that annulments were hard to come by and that many left the Catholic Church because of it.  What prompted a general change in attitude by the Church I'm not really sure about.  Whether it was an adjustment in philosophy or other considerations (money).

22 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

My SIL married a guy who was raised in a Jewish household, but that can be fixed if you jump thru the right hoops. They were married for a couple decades and had a child, then got divorced when the doctor husband/dad could not control his affinity for nurses. Despite the decades of marriage and the child, the annulment was possible, again, if you jump thru the right hoops. The Church seems to have a hoop for every situation. 

I won’t go into full Church bashing mode here, but it wouldn’t be hard. (While I fully agree there is plenty of good to go with the bad.)  I was raised Catholic, did my stint as an alter boy, went to a Catholic HS and a Jesuit university. Married in the church, kids baptized, all that stuff. My faith is stronger than ever, my belief in the church is not. That’s fine.

My wife enjoys the rituals and finds them calming. I was willing to continue attending with her, because she enjoys it. That changed when my morning person wife insisted upon the 7:30am masses.....I have my limits. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks. That’s what I was hoping you were going to say.

As a former Catholic... ***** them. Personally, I don’t see how anybody could remain in that church. I don’t have enough cognitive dissonance  to separate what that entire institution did to kids, the resulting cover up and their current insistence that they could possibly assert any moral superiority or give moral guidance ever again. 

Every denomination and religion from Baptists to Lutheran's to Jewish folks have abused kids for centuries

It's actually quite easy to remain a Catholic because there are 10,000 good ones to every bad apple 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Every denomination and religion from Baptists to Lutheran's to Jewish folks have abused kids for centuries

It's actually quite easy to remain a Catholic because there are 10,000 good ones to every bad apple 

the Baptists and Lutherans have kicked out those who abused and charged them on the spot

the "other place" sent them to another parish to continue their abuse

massive massive diff

the one that did nothing also often forces celibacy involuntarily on its clergy, this is wrong in 10,000,000 ways

Just now, row_33 said:

the Baptists and Lutherans have kicked out those who abused and charged them on the spot

the "other place" sent them to another parish to continue their abuse

massive massive diff

The world has been going to hell for decades. And there are lots of cover-ups in the Jewish community

A bad apple is just that, those people that covered it up will pay , but it doesn't actually change the fact that there are MILLIONS of proud God fearing Catholics who would NEVER CONDONE WHAT HAPPENED. 

I think it's sick but I would never abandon my faith because of satan trying to destroy the Church. Which the Bible said would happen

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I totally agree with the bold (and it’s probably a huge understatement). I think the Catholic Church does itself a disservice by limiting the selection pool for priests. The male dominated culture is backwards and has some negative unintended consequences. I agree, it happens everywhere, but I think the limitations they impose makes things worse. 

My wife used to Chair the Catholic Charities Ball and took it from nearly dead to raising boat loads every year. Countless people of all faiths were helped by the money raised. The Bishop would come to our son’s HS games to see him and us. 

She also did business with the diocese and knew that she and her female portfolio manager had to take at least two males to balance the gender of her team. That is wrong. Just plain wrong. The bottom line is, many of the people on the other side of the table just don’t think women are their equals. They were right, the women were better. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I totally agree with the bold (and it’s probably a huge understatement). I think the Catholic Church does itself a disservice by limiting the selection pool for priests. The male dominated culture is backwards and has some negative unintended consequences. I agree, it happens everywhere, but I think the limitations they impose makes things worse. 

My wife used to Chair the Catholic Charities Ball and took it from nearly dead to raising boat loads every year. Countless people of all faiths were helped by the money raised. The Bishop would come to our son’s HS games to see him and us. 

She also did business with the diocese and knew that she and her female portfolio manager had to take at least two males to balance the gender of her team. That is wrong. Just plain wrong. The bottom line is, many of the people on the other side of the table just don’t think women are their equals. They were right, the women were better. 

Sounds like your wife is an amazing woman! You did good

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

My SIL married a guy who was raised in a Jewish household, but that can be fixed if you jump thru the right hoops. They were married for a couple decades and had a child, then got divorced when the doctor husband/dad could not control his affinity for nurses. Despite the decades of marriage and the child, the annulment was possible, again, if you jump thru the right hoops. The Church seems to have a hoop for every situation. 

I won’t go into full Church bashing mode here, but it wouldn’t be hard. (While I fully agree there is plenty of good to go with the bad.)  I was raised Catholic, did my stint as an alter boy, went to a Catholic HS and a Jesuit university. Married in the church, kids baptized, all that stuff. My faith is stronger than ever, my belief in the church is not. That’s fine.

My wife enjoys the rituals and finds them calming. I was willing to continue attending with her, because she enjoys it. That changed when my morning person wife insisted upon the 7:30am masses.....I have my limits. 

Anybody is free to convert if you are willing to take the classes.  My mother did so a long time ago and I don't recall the subject of payola coming up.  Currently, there are two individuals that come who are considered RCI candidates.  

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Anybody is free to convert if you are willing to take the classes.  My mother did so a long time ago and I don't recall the subject of payola coming up.  Currently, there are two individuals that come who are considered RCI candidates.  

We could have a dozen RCI candidates at any time in our old Parrish. Most of our best friends from Florida were either from the kids catholic schools or our church. We went on a cruise around Spain and Portugal with about 50 of them last fall. The couple we were closest to are special people. He converted to marry in the church, and he was serious about it.

With my SIL it was a joke. A true sham. The church can’t “make you be serious”, but the process felt sleazy. I didn’t call it payola, but you go through the steps and there was money involved. They want more Catholics, period. Maybe that’s part of the reason for some of their stances, but I won’t go there.....but the family living behind us growing up had 11 kids, more than they could comfortably afford, I’m afraid. 

The Catholic Church makes it almost impossible to do things “their way”, so I looked for what fits me better. I hope everyone finds what fits them the best.