Matt Parrino on Christian Wade: not on the 53 next year

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s honestly without question Rugby.  Rugby has all the violence of football, none of the pads or protection, and the constant pace of soccer.  

And then there is the after game drinking haha.  Wanna test your liver, go drinking with some Rugby players after a game haha.  

Ok, so you are just guessing. I believe there are more injuries in football, especially catastrophic injuries, and I believe Rugby players are more safe in their tackling techniques (because they have to be and because the rules allow for that). There's less blind side hits because receivers aren't looking back for the ball (there are no forward passes in rugby so the ball isn't coming from behind). The system of having yards to gain and downs forces defenders to fight for every single inch whereas in Rugby it doesn't usually matter if the ball carrier gains another yard or so during the tackle, so they can focus more on punching the ball out.

Also, the hard pads are a CAUSE of injuries in football just as much as a deterrent for multiple reasons. One, helmets and other hard pads are hard and cause injuries to other players in collisions. I personally broke my wrist as it was caught in the facemask of a player during a tackle when I was in high school. Hard pads also embolden players to throw their body around because they feel protected, instead of making more technical tackles.

But Rugby scrums have significant neck and spinal injury risk, especially for the hooker who has his arms pinned behind his back and can't protect his head or neck if things go badly.

I think football is the more dangerous sport, due mostly to the rules and mechanics. I don't question the toughness of Rugby players (or football players).

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just noting that there's a considerable disparity between this information and the information on club salary cap provided by GunnerBill.

It is, of course, possible that a professional athlete can earn as much or more than their salary from endorsements.

If Wade's net worth is that high, then he must really want to play NFL Football because he has no or little financial incentive.

he had said he’s taking a considerable pay cut to enter the NFL 

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

You realize that contract went away when Wade was cut?  Right?

He makes the fixed weekly rate that practice squad guys get.  Which is bupkis vs. what he was making at rugby.. 

then tell Spotrac to update their site 

I just copy and paste them 

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

More hype for this guy on this board than Da'Rick Rogers

Steady on, Dude.

I don't see anyone here hyping him up.  He's an RB.  We need an RB.  A member of the media made the point not to expect to see him on the 53 man roster.  We're discussing that and his salary.  I think someone mentioned that there's a Bills Fan Facebook group with a significant case of Wade-love.  Did you even read the thread before chiming in?

Did you search and see when the last time he was even mentioned was?  I think it was before Game 16 when someone wondered if Wade could be activated from PS for the game and the answer was "No".

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Steady on, Dude.

I don't see anyone here hyping him up.  He's an RB.  We need an RB.  A member of the media made the point not to expect to see him on the 53 man roster.  We're discussing that and his salary.  I think someone mentioned that there's a Bills Fan Facebook group with a significant case of Wade-love.  Did you even read the thread before chiming in?

Did you search and see when the last time he was even mentioned was?  I think it was before Game 16 when someone wondered if Wade could be activated from PS for the game and the answer was "No".

Nope, just wanted to say Da'Rick Rogers

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s honestly without question Rugby.  Rugby has all the violence of football, none of the pads or protection, and the constant pace of soccer.  

And then there is the after game drinking haha.  Wanna test your liver, go drinking with some Rugby players after a game haha.  

I played football growing up, but rugby in college. Put on a helmet and shoulder pads and everyone thinks they are a lethal weapon. I saw PLENTY of gruesome injuries in rugby, with a lot more blood and a horrific fractured skull, but I think the mentality actually makes football the more dangerous sport.

And a rugby party beats a tailgate, with or without burning tables!  If only for the songs!   :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

There really are no holes in rugby. Sure he needs good vision but good vision doesn't equal ability to see and hit an NFL hole

Against 4th stringer's he saw and hit a cutback that most college players could've hit honestly and Id be almost Willing to bet that against 1s the speed of the game will be overwhelming probably

Running backs in football spend a decade learning how to read holes properly and many still struggle in the NFL

I know it's not as easy as it sounds

I don't think it is true that there are "no holes in rugby" but it is different. It is, as I said much earlier in the thread, more akin to the vision you need returning punts and kicks than the vision you need to run between the tackles as a running back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it is true that there are "no holes in rugby" but it is different. It is, as I said much earlier in the thread, more akin to the vision you need returning punts and kicks than the vision you need to run between the tackles as a running back. 

Yes that's a better description and I can agree

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel like it isn't much of a stretch to say that ANY practice squad player is unlikely to be on the 53 man roster next year. That's just the nature of the situation for players on the practice squad.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The no blocker aspect is just so different. On punt returns and kick returns you are still following blockers.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

The no blocker aspect is just so different. On punt returns and kick returns you are still following blockers.

Rugby still has set up blocks. Think if them like difference between a legal rub and an illegal pick. But you can run combinations designed to wall off defenders to create lanes for your ball carrier. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, jimmy10 said:

Why is the sky blue? Why do Bills fans assume Mahomes would be the exact same player here? 

Such are the mysteries of life. 

Yeah, Joe Montana was an average QB at Notre  Dame.  Had the Bills drafted him back then instead of Bill Walsh and the Niners, he may not have been a HOFer.

20 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I think the "speed" of defenders hitting in rugby may not be near that on NFL football so the impact may be far less when getting hit. 

Rugby players don't wear pads and helmets. 

at least 3 times that per season

According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Rugby Player Christian Wade's net worth is $78 Million at the age of 28 years old. He earned the money being a professional Rugby Player. 

Wade spent the past 10 years at Wasps Rugby Football Club. He played on England's national team the British and Irish Lions.

guess he just wants to try a different sport.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Rugby Player Christian Wade's net worth is $78 Million at the age of 28 years old. He earned the money being a professional Rugby Player. 

Wade spent the past 10 years at Wasps Rugby Football Club. He played on England's national team the British and Irish Lions.

There is absolutely no way he has earned £60m from playing rugby. Absolutely none. I'd like to see the actual source for that because I don't think it is true. The most famous English rugby player of the last 20 years - Johnny Wilkinson - who kicked us to world cup glory in 2003 and who had endorsements a plenty is only estimated to be worth about £16m by the Sunday Times rich list (on which Christian Wade does not feature). 

Basically I am calling nonsense on the statement quoted above. It isn't true. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Rugby is not like football. And it's 10000 times more complicated than see hole hit hole

The run blocking schemes are complex and backs spend 10-15 years perfecting how to read a hole correctly and even when he makes the league many struggle with seeing the proper hole

Then you have pass protection and learning a whole playbook which is like a foreign language

I think he has an uphill battle

No, it’s really not.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, it’s really not.

Yes it really is. There are high level backs that are D1 stars that struggle to find and hit the smaller holes in the NFL

Reading blocks is a HUGE part of a RBs game that takes years to master as a Craft and the speed of the NFL game is amazing

don't discredit how hard it is to be a good running back, finding those holes when bodies are flying all around is tough to do between the tackles and Wade has alot to learn

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm glad you responded.  The son of a friend played rugby in the US (Wing) - actually, still plays at the club level in his 30s - and RB in HS football (state champions).  So he's chatted over the years about the similarities and differences.  Now I grant, he never played DI college ball (too small) let alone pro, and it's different, but he would disagree about "no holes" as well.  I don't think he could comment on how hard it is to learn to see the holes in football though, as he grew up playing both sports.