Matt Parrino on Christian Wade: not on the 53 next year

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why is everyone obsessed with Wade?

Id be surprised if he makes the team next year. 

Maybe because its fun to root for the underdog, it is akin to rooting for the Buffalo Bills, perennial themselves.... 

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess I'm just asking who has seen enough of him to actually form an opinion on progress, if any

Or

Who has enough contact with the coaches to know their point of view?

Not at all trying to dis on or knock on Parrino - I like his coverage, actually, but would he have enough access for either of the aforementioned to be true?

…..I would guess they signed him to a futures contract to get a better look......if not, why bother?...……...

13 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

What a gig.  

PS for 2 seasons and collect a a nice paycheck 

Christian Wade signed a 2 year, $1,121,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $11,000 signing bonus, $11,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $560,500.

anyone know how this compares to the money he made playing rugby?

Ok, so I just found this, and there is NO WAY it is accurate.  Otherwise the NFL would be losing some of it's top athletes to rugby.  Anyone know what his rugby earnings were?  (I saw net worth estimates for him of "less than a million, %8.5 million and $78 million)

Christian Wade Net Worth

Christian Wade estimated Net Worth, Salary, Income, Cars, Lifestyles & many more details have been updated below. Let's check, How Rich is Christian Wade in 2019-2020?

According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Rugby Player Christian Wade's net worth is $78 Million at the age of 28 years old. He earned the money being a professional Rugby Player. He is from England.

Christian Wade Net Worth: $78 Million

Estimated Net Worth in 2020 $78 Million
Previous Year's Net Worth (2019) Under Review
Annual Salary Under Review.
Income Source Primary Income source Rugby Player (profession).
Net Worth Verification Status Not Verified

https://celebstrendingnow.com/christian-wade-net-worth/

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

10 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Singletary is small.

Exactly.

I know your point is that you don't want two backs with the same style, but I've never but that theory.   I don't care a lot about Singletary's size.   He runs inside and he runs outside; that's all you need.  

Wade looked like he had first class speed and moves.  I'll take first class speed and moves in my backup running back.   That would have been better than what Gore and Yeldon gave the Bills.   Not saying Wade could have played in 2019; just saying those characteristics would have been fine in a backup.   Darren Sproles was an ideal backup for a lot of years.   

No substitute for speed.  

Small guys need to be tough, but Wade seems to check that box, too.  

So I'm waiting to see how much he gets on the field this summer.   He had all year to learn, and the most learning happens in the first year, so who knows how close he might be?

Yolo - thanks for the Wade interview.   He seems to think he can compete.  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Rugby Player Christian Wade's net worth is $78 Million at the age of 28 years old. He earned the money being a professional Rugby Player. 

Wade spent the past 10 years at Wasps Rugby Football Club. He played on England's national team the British and Irish Lions.

Just noting that there's a considerable disparity between this information and the information on club salary cap provided by GunnerBill.

It is, of course, possible that a professional athlete can earn as much or more than their salary from endorsements.

If Wade's net worth is that high, then he must really want to play NFL Football because he has no or little financial incentive.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

anyone know how this compares to the money he made playing rugby?

Ok, so I just found this, and there is NO WAY it is accurate.  Otherwise the NFL would be losing some of it's top athletes to rugby.  Anyone know what his rugby earnings were?  (I saw net worth estimates for him of "less than a million, %8.5 million and $78 million)

See Gunner Bill's comments upthread.  I'll recap here (from GunnerBill):

" The Premiership has a salary cap of £7m a year per club and most clubs and their squads are a little smaller than NFL rosters but not a lot smaller. £1m a year players are very few and far between. Most clubs' top earner would be in the £350k-£500k a year bracket. And Wade would not have been the top earner at Wasps. I suspect he was earning somewhere in the £100k-£200k a year range but I don't know that for certain. He'd have been a second tier contract. He walked away from money to pursue the NFL. There is no question about that. But if it works out his earning potential on an NFL roster is significantly greater. "

I think that online stuff is way off, although as stated, of course guys earn money from endorsements.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That net worth is a mistake I think. His last contract was for $585,000 a year. 

585,000 dollars or pounds sterling?  Unless he inherited money or had crazy endorsement deals, sounds like an "oooops!"

But if correct, then it would seem he signed a contract for similar moneys with the Bills.

14 hours ago, whorlnut said:

There are a lot of fans that think Wade will turn into something because he broke a td against third stringers in the preseason. He’s a cool story, but he’s still a rugby player masquerading as a football player. 

He masqueraded on a nice 50 yard pas play, too, in his limited play time, and as far as costumes go I like that red, white and blue one he has with the charging Buffalo on the side.

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

585,000 dollars or pounds sterling?  Unless he inherited money or had crazy endorsement deals, sounds like an "oooops!"

But if correct, then it would seem he signed a contract for similar moneys with the Bills.

I deleted my post because I don't believe it was correct, sorry bout that. 

Pretty sure the net worth of 70 million or whatever is incorrect, I saw other sites saying around a million or less. 

I believe Gunner Bill knows what the pay range is.

Edited by Turk71

Just now, Turk71 said:

I deleted my post because I don't believe it was correct, sorry bout that. 

Pretty sure the net worth of 70 million or whatever is incorrect, I saw other sites saying around a million or less. 

So here is a question: how would UK taxes affect that? 

Let's say he played 10 years for an average salary of $150,000 (starting lower, ending higher); that would be $1.5M but how much would be gone in UK taxes before he even saw it?

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I suggest your buddy might not be much of a rugby fan. I am only a casual viewer of domestic club rugby and I knew Wade. He was also one of our very best sevens players. The reason he struggled a little bit to make the international first XV is that he is a bit one dimensional. Wade is an old school flying machine of a wing but if you look at international rugby today the majority of the best wings are more versatile guys and technically adept guys who can come inside and be offloaders and creaters as well as finishers. I do think Wade probably got a bit or a raw deal only getting one or two caps. There was a period when he couldn't get in the England team but was in the Great British Lions touring squad. 

I don't know rugby at all, but what you say is consistent with something I read about him last summer, which was that he was a pure outside threat but primarily because of his size he couldn't defend larger players well enough to be a top player.    A little bit like being a small point guard who, unless you're John Stockton, becomes more of a liability than asset because you're getting posted up all the time.   On defense in the NFL his size would be a liability, too, but unlike rugby, he doesn't have to go both ways here. 

8 hours ago, MJS said:

What metric are we using to determine which sport is tougher or more physical?

It’s honestly without question Rugby.  Rugby has all the violence of football, none of the pads or protection, and the constant pace of soccer.  

And then there is the after game drinking haha.  Wanna test your liver, go drinking with some Rugby players after a game haha.  

15 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

What a gig.  

PS for 2 seasons and collect a a nice paycheck 

Christian Wade signed a 2 year, $1,121,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $11,000 signing bonus, $11,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $560,500.

You realize that contract went away when Wade was cut?  Right?

He makes the fixed weekly rate that practice squad guys get.  Which is bupkis vs. what he was making at rugby.. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

" 'ello, govner!  Rawht then, I fancy a set uh dem fowl chips wit dat blimey stinky dressin' on a caus' I'm rawhtly gonna be here with me mates next year, I ams.  As I gotta knackering to play in dat big 1, u-no-wat-I-meen?  ? Awl I wont is to play somedayyy, in dat game on da big Sundayyyyy! ?"

No, of course he is not Eliza Doolittle, but come on...the cockney just makes it...better.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

" 'ello, govner!  Rawht then, I fancy a set uh dem fowl chips wit dat blimey stinky dressin' on a caus' I'm rawhtly gonna be here with me mates next year, I ams.  As I gotta knackering to play in dat big 1, u-no-wat-I-meen?  ? Awl I wont is to play somedayyy, in dat game on da big Sundayyyyy! ?"

No, of course he is not Eliza Doolittle, but come one...the cockney just makes it...better.

Post of the day as you were successful in slipping in the word “knackering.” You my friend, are a Right Honorable Gentleman. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You realize that contract went away when Wade was cut?  Right?

He makes the fixed weekly rate that practice squad guys get.  Which is bupkis vs. what he was making at rugby.. 

Lurker, just a note that it's not necessarily true that the contract went away when he was cut, nor that he makes the "fixed weekly rate that practice squad guys get".

The weekly rate that practice squad guys get is a *minimum*, and what a particular practice squad guy is paid can be negotiated between him and the team with no upper limit.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, well, I heard Matt Parrino punches babies and shoves old ladies in the grocery store. 

Babies can't even defend themselves...that's deplorable.

...old ladies are asking for it, though.  Don't be writing your darn checks for a $5.53 purchase!

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Post of the day as you were successful in slipping in the word “knackering.” You my friend, are a Right Honorable Gentleman. 

It is imperative that I be HUDS' 3,000th up-vote.  When he gets to 2,999, please BACK OFF!

...I can wait. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You've been studying him all season on the practice squad, with football players and learning the game, I take it.

But that's still only one year compared against others who've played the game for maybe 10 years already at lower levels, college, HS, etc.  While it's not the NFL it still gives them an understanding of the game that he;s lacking or at a minimum miles behind.