Matt Parrino on Christian Wade: not on the 53 next year

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Is that true?   I thought the extra PS spot was a one-year deal.   

A two-year deal, as Ghost says it is, makes more sense for the host team, since it was a good bet that none of these guys was going to make a roster in the first season.  Why take a guy into camp who has no shot, only to lose him after a season, when he finally might mature into something.   Still, I thought that if the Bills don't put him on the 53 in 2020, if the Bills keep he's a regular practice squad player.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Based off of his obvious athletic ability he showed at rugby it would be a fantastic story if he made the Bills active roster. Will he be able to do so? He has a tall hill to climb as far as learning the game,  but I'll root for him to do it. Why Not?  It would be similar to a low draft pick or UDFA becoming a league superstar. I'll take a contributor no matter how he gets there. 

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why is everyone obsessed with Wade?

Id be surprised if he makes the team next year. 

I think it was more watching a large back not only beat 2nd and 3rd string nfl hopefuls, but blow past them like they were standing still.

I for one did not expect him to move that well with the pads on.

The powers at OBD felt it was worth stashing him for a year and seeing if he can pick up enough to have a shot down the road even if if was just covering if someone goes down.

If they try to stash him on the PS again then good for Wade...you never know. Long shots have made it before.

Would not call it obsession, but many here wanted to see more out of our 1-2 punch at running back. I am grateful for Gore carrying the load when Singletary went down, but he definitely lost a step the later half of the year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I seriously doubt Christain Wade would be willing to spend another year on the practice squad. He will be 29 in May

Why would a 28 year old rugby player be willing to spend half of the year practicing football for $560,000? Why??

• Haha (+1) 1

I don’t get why so many people get butt hurt when the guy is brought up. He had some really nice open field abilities and speed when he got to touch the ball. 

PLENTY of players have come in and proven themselves in the preseason, gotten the call up, and produced. Why do people get so bent out of shape when people think wade might be another? Where exactly would people like him to prove himself if the live action in the preseason isn’t enough? If ya got speed, then ya got speed. If you can run in space then you can run in space. 

im excited to see what he can do with a full year in the system and I’m not gonna count him out. 

42 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think it was more watching a large back not only beat 2nd and 3rd string nfl hopefuls, but blow past them like they were standing still.

The powers at OBD felt it was worth stashing him for a year and seeing if he can pick up enough to have a shot down the road even if if was just covering if someone goes down.

If they try to stash him on the PS again then good for Wade...you never know. Long shots have made it before.

Would not call it obsession, but many here wanted to see more out of our 1-2 punch at running back. I am grateful for Gore carrying the load when Singletary went down, but he definitely lost a step the later half of the year.

Right. No obsession. I’d say more of an intrigue. His speed and ability to maneuver in space can’t be denied.

I don’t understand why people get so negative or irritated when he’s mentioned.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why is everyone obsessed with Wade?

Id be surprised if he makes the team next year. 

What exactly represents "obsession" in your mind? 

He's an elite professional athlete trying to become an NFL RB.  We need another RB.  Isn't it natural to wonder how far he has developed when thinking about what options the Bills might pursue at RB (FA, draft, etc?)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

image.thumb.png.5a7ee8ad1fe20768cef5b42e9a989032.png

Does Matt see enough in practice and/or is he plugged in enough to know this is how the coaches see it?

Would we get an extra practice squad slot for a 2nd year, anyone know

I like Matt quite a bit. Knew him when he worked out here in Vegas.

Having said that, he has a tendency to squash the "hype" guys. He was very much opposed to the hype surrounding Duke, so I think he MAY be a bit biased here. 

Who knows with Wade? Probably won't work out, but crazier things have happened.

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

There are a lot of fans that think Wade will turn into something because he broke a td against third stringers in the preseason. He’s a cool story, but he’s still a rugby player masquerading as a football player. 

So start him in PS 2020 and see if he can play.

I think he is a diamond in the rough and could be the Bills next Freddie a solid RB that needs a break.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

I mean we were given a PS exemption so it woulda been silly NOT to use it if he showed any kind of promise

He needs to play against starters not 3rd stringer's in Pre season so they can get a real look