Matt Parrino on Christian Wade: not on the 53 next year

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

There are a lot of fans that think Wade will turn into something because he broke a td against third stringers in the preseason. He’s a cool story, but he’s still a rugby player masquerading as a football player. 

You've been studying him all season on the practice squad, with football players and learning the game, I take it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

There are a lot of fans that think Wade will turn into something because he broke a td against third stringers in the preseason. He’s a cool story, but he’s still a rugby player masquerading as a football player. 

I guess I'm just asking who has seen enough of him to actually form an opinion on progress, if any

Or

Who has enough contact with the coaches to know their point of view?

Not at all trying to dis on or knock on Parrino - I like his coverage, actually, but would he have enough access for either of the aforementioned to be true?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Typical half-with response from someone that doesn’t share the same opinion....

Which half is he with....?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see the big deal about the tweet, saying he has a greater chance of being on the practice squad again than on a nfl roster, is true. Its also true of every current practice squad player

How many practice squad players end up as key contributors?

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad

21 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

That Rugby player is a heck of a lot tougher than an NFL player.  RB isn't a complex position to learn.  I mean see hole, hit hole...then try not to get tackled.  Its verbatim what Rugby is.  The major challenge is learning the language and playbook along with pass protection assignments.  Thats where NFL is substantially more complicated and takes time to learn.  But going into next camp, he will have had quite a bit of time to work on that stuff and learn it.  

Its going to come down to how fast he picked up those nuances because he has the physical skills, toughness, and abilities to play.  

Rugby gets little love here, but I can assure its a tougher and more physical game to play.  Its the worlds second largest sport behind only soccer, and while its a major college sport in the US, its never had a pro league until MLR started in 2018 and just begun their 3rd season.  Its the fastest growing sport in the world for both men and women, and by a large margin too.  

Having the pleasure to know so many great Rugby players, the one thing I wouldn't do is count one out like Wade.  Its an uphill battle, trying to digest all the complexities he will need to learn from language, schemes, and protections...especially in an offense as complicated as Daboll's.  But from what I have heard from Rugby players I personally know that actually know Wade, is that he is a bright guy with an extreme work ethic.  

Will be fun to see if he can make some noise or not in camp.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I don't see the big deal about the tweet, saying he has a greater chance of being on the practice squad again than on a nfl roster, is true. Its also true of every current practice squad player

How many practice squad players end up as key contributors?

It's not that the tweet is a big deal, I'm just enquiring about the basis for it.  Not intending to pick on Parrino, whom I like.   If most media members have the same opinion (as @YoloinOhio says), my question is do they actually get to see enough practice or have enough access to chat up the coaches that their opinion has an informed basis?

The difference between Christian Wade and every other practice squad player is that he's been successful at a high level in a different professional sport.

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is just Parrino’s opinion - but it is also every media member’s opinion that I’ve seen. They do get an extra PS spot for him. 

Good to know

• Like (+1) 2

What a gig.  

PS for 2 seasons and collect a a nice paycheck 

Christian Wade signed a 2 year, $1,121,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $11,000 signing bonus, $11,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $560,500.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see what they do with him, or if he has progressed enough to play. 
I can say from Facebook stuff there’s a large group of bills fans thinking he’s some elite stash player that’s going to set the league on fire if he gets a chance. I just consider him a camp body for the most part who will get some practice reps. I highly doubt any of the media are in the know on practice squad players development unless someone from the bills is clueing them in

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That Rugby player is a heck of a lot tougher than an NFL player.  RB isn't a complex position to learn.  I mean see hole, hit hole...then try not to get tackled.  Its verbatim what Rugby is.  The major challenge is learning the language and playbook along with pass protection assignments.  Thats where NFL is substantially more complicated and takes time to learn.  But going into next camp, he will have had quite a bit of time to work on that stuff and learn it.  

Its going to come down to how fast he picked up those nuances because he has the physical skills, toughness, and abilities to play.  

Rugby gets little love here, but I can assure its a tougher and more physical game to play.  Its the worlds second largest sport behind only soccer, and while its a major college sport in the US, its never had a pro league until MLR started in 2018 and just begun their 3rd season.  Its the fastest growing sport in the world for both men and women, and by a large margin too.  

Having the pleasure to know so many great Rugby players, the one thing I wouldn't do is count one out like Wade.  Its an uphill battle, trying to digest all the complexities he will need to learn from language, schemes, and protections...especially in an offense as complicated as Daboll's.  But from what I have heard from Rugby players I personally know that actually know Wade, is that he is a bright guy with an extreme work ethic.  

Will be fun to see if he can make some noise or not in camp.

Okay, Dawg, here we go again, you and me against the world.  Last year it was Duke (who I still have hopes for next season); now it's Wade.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Why is it that the position that rookies can succeed in from day one is running back?    Because it's fundamentally a position that requires speed and instinctual skills.   Learn pass protection and learn to a half dozen receiving routes and you're good to go.   

He's clearly shown the raw physical talent.   He's had an entire training camp, preseason and regular season to work in the system.   He could have another training camp and presseason to polish what he knows.   

By September 1, 2020, he should have learned enough.   The question is simply whether he's good enough.    He'll have plenty of opportunity to show what he can do in preseason games.  (Well, maybe less if the preseason schedule is shortened.)  

Just like with Duke, I'm waiting to see what the summer brings.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They do get an extra PS spot for him. 

Is that true?   I thought the extra PS spot was a one-year deal.   

A two-year deal, as Ghost says it is, makes more sense for the host team, since it was a good bet that none of these guys was going to make a roster in the first season.  Why take a guy into camp who has no shot, only to lose him after a season, when he finally might mature into something.   Still, I thought that if the Bills don't put him on the 53 in 2020, if the Bills keep he's a regular practice squad player.  

Rugby is not like football. And it's 10000 times more complicated than see hole hit hole

The run blocking schemes are complex and backs spend 10-15 years perfecting how to read a hole correctly and even when he makes the league many struggle with seeing the proper hole

Then you have pass protection and learning a whole playbook which is like a foreign language

I think he has an uphill battle

• Like (+1) 1