Athletic: "What the advanced stats tell us about Josh Allen’s growth in 2019 and beyond"

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The majority of people, yes.

There are, undoubtedly, a faction of fans that clearly would prefer that he fail so that they can be “right”.

I’m sure we can all name two or three from this board.

Well, since I was on record (many times over) as wanting any of the 5, yes, I’m well aware of people’s pre-draft opinions (most of which were based upon absolutely zero analysis beyond what they read).

I was among Allen’s biggest backers. Not because I felt he was a sure thing, but because he had a real shot to be the best QB in the class.

And I respect everyone’s opinion, as nobody really knows who will pan out...

I was just referring to “never Allen brigade” would never falter, ( even if he proved himself) comment...I would disagree with this because most on were “never Allen”...but I’m sure if he was able to be a top 15 passer consistently, that would change.

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

And I respect everyone’s opinion, as nobody really knows who will pan out...

I was just referring to “never Allen brigade” would never falter, ( even if he proved himself) comment...I would disagree with this because most on were “never Allen”...but I’m sure if he was able to be a top 15 passer consistently, that would change.

I don’t consider the folks that didn’t want him pre-draft as being never-Allen. I’m talking about those people who declared him a bust pre-draft, continued calling him a bust as a rookie, refuse to acknowledge anything he does well, and will never do so.

Like I said, we can all name two or three.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t consider the folks that didn’t want him pre-draft as being never-Allen. I’m talking about those people who declared him a bust pre-draft, continued calling him a bust as a rookie, refuse to acknowledge anything he does well, and will never do so.

Ahhh, I see...fair enough then...?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

Your argument has no weight, it's not how far he's come at all. It's about what he does or is able to. Every QB in the league from high school advanced, the question is where do they end up. It's rarely a lack of effort that stops success, it's just mental and physical limitations.

How far he's come and the fact that he's relatively young to the game in terms of expert reps and practice as compared to most 1st round prospects and his significant improvement from year 1 to year 2 is, first of all, an indication that he hasn't peaked. 

Clearly that's at the very least a sign of optimism for everyone.

If people expected him to go from what he was his rookie year to Drew Brees in his 2nd, that'd be a ridiculously unrealistic expectation and that's on them.

50 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I can name two or three on the first page of this thread

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How far he's come and the fact that he's relatively young to the game in terms of expert reps and practice as compared to most 1st round prospects and his significant improvement from year 1 to year 2 is, first of all, an indication that he hasn't peaked. 

If people expected him to go from what he was his rookie year to Drew Brees in his 2nd, that'd be a ridiculously unrealistic expectation and that's on them.

lol didn’t you predict he’d be an MVP candidate last year?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I read that he improved in just about every area.

So looking for that to continue with better conststecy and hopefully less drops with better receiving options.

I don't see McD going away from his protect the ball at all costs mantra, but improvement is always good... We will see, if he hits a ceiling

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No.

Improving isn't a sign you haven't peaked. In fact, improvement is always what happens just before someone peaks.

There's certainly a ton of room for hope. I'm hopeful and if I had to predict, my guess would be that he's going to keep improving. But really there's just no way to know, either way.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh, my God, that's classic. Really? An unrealistic expectation? On them?

Aren't you the guy who thought he was going to be in the running for MVP in 2019? I mean, seriously, isn't that exactly what you said in literally hundreds and hundreds of posts?

Nearly anyone else should be able to say this. But not you. A lack of realistic expectation, thy name is Trannie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No.

Improving isn't a sign you haven't peaked. In fact, improvement is always what happens just before someone peaks.

And it's also something that continues if you're only at the beginning or in the middle of it.

There's certainly a ton of room for hope. I'm hopeful and if I had to predict, my guess would be that he's going to keep improving. But really there's just no way to know, either way.

There's never any way to know anything, but if you understand Allen's history and the truly raw prospect he was--lacking in specialization and the constant QB camp reps at places like the Manning academy while staying at a small HS to keep workingon the Family Farm and everything that followed-- then your hope would be actual optimism combined with hope rather than the typical cynical connotations you combine with that word every time you dish it out.

Oh, my God, that's classic. Really? An unrealistic expectation? On them?

Aren't you the guy who thought he was going to be in the running for MVP in 2019? I mean, seriously, isn't that exactly what you said in literally hundreds and hundreds of posts?

Nearly anyone else should be able to say this. But not you. A lack of realistic expectation, thy name is Trannie.

I can say it.

Just because I made a prediction doesn't mean I thought it should be the expectation.

C'mon man. You're intelligent enough to understand nuance. Right?

There are folks here who seem genuinely upset he's not an All-Pro already.

That's very different from my stance... both pre and post season.

I have genuine hope and optimism about Allen going into next season... the arrow is pointing up.

Hope you can shed some of the cynicism for actual optimism... but that might just be hoping too much on my part...

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I can say it.

Just because I made a prediction doesn't mean I thought it should be the expectation.

C'mon man. You're intelligent enough to understand nuance. Right?

Ah yes, I too always make bets and predictions without any expectation that they could actually happen in reality. Very nuanced way of thinking.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

his numbers on 3rd and long vs 3rd down in general and his numbers in play action really don't help change my perception that our OC is just hitting buttons on madden rather than building a cohesive offense.  i really hope that changes w some new talent next season.

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Ah yes, I too always make bets and predictions without any expectation that they could actually happen in reality. Very nuanced way of thinking.

Your wife is pregnant and you predict it's a boy.

Should she buy blue paint for the nursery and should everyone coming to the baby shower shop for a baby boy because you told everyone you thought it would be a boy?

giphy.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How could anyone expect Lamar Jackson to win the MVP in just his second year. Wait...

How could you expect Mahomes to win an MVP in his second year. Wait...

What if Murray, Jones, Lock or Mayfield or Darnold win it next year. Still the what do you expect from Allen. 

You dont need Allen to be MVP or Drew Brees. But you do need him to be better. Nothing wrong with that and there is a middle ground between where he is today and MVP level which is reasonable to expect. 

Josh Allen has already exhibited in 2 short years an athleticism few knew existed. He was always going to be raw and take longer on his projected path. Maybe even 4 years? I still believe he has competed with an oline, wr Corp and te group very underwhelming. This is the season to spend most of that cap money on offense. If JA starts creeping into a 90+ qb rating than the progression continues. Get him a legit #1 Wr & TE and he'll really take charge.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

There are no such thing as indicators for predicting future growth of a player. Some players are draft bottom dwellers that light it up when given a chance and others fade into non existence. It's no different for any of the players in the top half of the draft either. Some start slow, take a few years and the light goes on and wham-o they are top notch players while others are expected to do great things out of the gate and they fall on their faces. 

The so called experts don't know any more than your above average Football fan so they really just need to sit down and ST*U. Just my 2 cents worth....... which is all it's good for. LOL! 

• Thank you (+1) 1