Jaguars Give Up 2 home games next year

plenzmd1

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Fans in London aren't going to stick around if the Jags don't become a winner. They really need to stick the landing on their next coaching hire.

Fans in London don't give a rat's ass about NFL football.  The same goes for Mexico City. The NFL is wasting their time. Soccer is king in Europe & Latin America. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Fans in London don't give a rat's ass about NFL football.  The same goes for Mexico City. The NFL is wasting their time. Soccer is king in Europe & Latin America. 

Not sure about Mexico City, but selling out 4 games a year in London would suggest they do like NFL football.. 

Soccer is the king agreed, but they can like more than 1 sport right?

US like several..

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

and american football is king in the US so why bother playing hockey? London would sell out a full 16 game slate easily.

16 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Honest question, why was this franchise considered a good idea in the first place? I don’t really remember much from that time. There had to be a better option elsewhere, no?

Love this question. I was a kid and wasn’t really paying attention back then. For me it was more of a “cool another football team, wonder what their helmets will look like”

The timing of this announcement is strategically aligned with the team's ambitious and big-picture plans for Jacksonville and, specifically, the planned Lot J development.

When completed, Phase One of the proposed $500 million Lot J project in partnership with Cordish Companies would feature an entertainment district, a 200-room hotel, residential buildings offering 405 units and additional parking.

Overall, the Lot J project is designed to redefine the downtown experience and landscape while stimulating further development in the downtown and stadium area.  It is also the latest, and biggest, endeavor spearheaded by the Jaguars to help Jacksonville realize its full potential.  

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-to-play-back-to-back-home-games-in-london-in-2020

That looks like they plan to stay for the majority of future games in Jacksonville.

Not sure why globalzing the game gets any support from fans inside the US. How quickly some of you forget how Toronto felt and the uncertain situation with Ralph’s passing.

I don’t care if Jacksonville has 5,000 or 5 million fans, that team means a lot to some of them and I wouldn’t enjoy anyone saying screw Buffalo go to Toronto etc. 

55 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Not sure why globalzing the game gets any support from fans inside the US. How quickly some of you forget how Toronto felt and the uncertain situation with Ralph’s passing.

I don’t care if Jacksonville has 5,000 or 5 million fans, that team means a lot to some of them and I wouldn’t enjoy anyone saying screw Buffalo go to Toronto etc. 

Most people.....I mean football fans, LOL.....here in town are NOT happy with this. And as others have said, I can’t imagine any scenario at all where the players would be happy with this, especially if they have to pay more $$$ in taxes. Not sure how the NFL is handling the latter though. Maybe they have a deal with London where the players don’t have to pay “full rate?”

1 hour ago, ALF said:

The timing of this announcement is strategically aligned with the team's ambitious and big-picture plans for Jacksonville and, specifically, the planned Lot J development.

When completed, Phase One of the proposed $500 million Lot J project in partnership with Cordish Companies would feature an entertainment district, a 200-room hotel, residential buildings offering 405 units and additional parking.

Overall, the Lot J project is designed to redefine the downtown experience and landscape while stimulating further development in the downtown and stadium area.  It is also the latest, and biggest, endeavor spearheaded by the Jaguars to help Jacksonville realize its full potential.  

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-to-play-back-to-back-home-games-in-london-in-2020

That looks like they plan to stay for the majority of future games in Jacksonville.

A lot of people aren’t happy with this either, as they keep taking parking areas away, just as they did when they built a concert venue (Daily’s Place) immediately next to the stadium. And if you can believe this, Daily’s Place is an amphitheater (its covered, but still outside), and there’s NO overhead fans and/or an AC system to blow cold air. Concerts in there from June - September are brutal, yet they have a lot of them. After we went to a June one, that was it for us. LOL

21 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

What a blow for the fan of the Jags

20 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I spoke with all three, they are not happy.

On the other hand, if the fan base was really buying tickets like crazy, would they have ever moved any games to begin with?

3 hours ago, nickrage said:

Yeah what a blow. I’m sure all 8 of them will be there for each other though.

By the end of the week, we might be in double figures.  Get the Jaguars’ marketing department on the line!

19 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

and don't forget those poor tarps - what will they do with the extra time off

Tarping sand piles at the Jacksonville city docks.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

How is playing at neutral site not giving up revenue?  They still have to pay players for game.

Best way to handle it is AFC-NFC games.  One year AFC hosts extra game and following year NFC hosts extra game.

What I meant was that a team is not giving up the revenue from one of its existing home games.  Although they have to pay the players to play one more game, someone is going to televise the game, which brings in TV revenue and I assume the teams would each get a cut of the gate from the neutral site game.  They are not going to lose money on the deal.

Not sure if its been mentioned but don't income taxes levied by foreign governments typically qualify to reduce your taxable income at home?

How does that work currently with the teams traveling there? Are they taxed by the UK?

Edited by What a Tuel

7 hours ago, CommonCents said:

they already did. They were one of the fan bases that wanted the bills to leave buffalo and go to Toronto.