Jaguars Give Up 2 home games next year

plenzmd1

Wow, who would have thought. How long before permanent move? Back to back games in London next year

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-to-play-back-to-back-home-games-in-london-in-2020

BTW, they know what teams "travel" and what team do not. Ain't moving the Bears or Steeler games, those are the two guaranteed sellouts!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The season ticket holders will get a 50% discount off the preseason games.

That should be mandatory for every teams season ticket holders.

its funny, i have debated with Bills folks for the last 3 years on the Fan Advisory Board..just make the preseason games free and divide whatever my total ticket price is by 8(allowing for the variable pricing)...i mean thats how i look at it anyway. If my total cost is $800, i just say its $100/game. That way my face is higher for every game as well, maybe i get more back on the games i need to sell.

They can never give me a good answer why they dont do this .

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

its funny, i have debated with Bills folks for the last 3 years on the Fan Advisory Board..just make the preseason games free and divide whatever my total ticket price is by 8(allowing for the variable pricing)...i mean thats how i look at it anyway. If my total cost is $800, i just say its $100/game. That way my face is higher for every game as well, maybe i get more back on the games i need to sell.

They can never give me a good answer why they dont do this .

And you will never get a good answer.

What the league should do is play all preseason games at neutral sites. By "neutral" I mean play them in an area that is close to the home team. Why not play them at the local college stadiums? I'm sure this is something that could be manageable.

• Like (+1) 3

Shahid Khan is all about that $$$ (as are many other owners I'm sure) and he feels like this move overall puts more $$$ in his pocket. Can't blame him in the short term, but this isn't sustainable for success in the league or with his franchise imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, they know what teams "travel" and what team do not. Ain't moving the Bears or Steeler games, those are the two guaranteed sellouts!

Thought the same exact thing. What a surprise the two games which the opposing fans will sellout the stadium you don't move. That speaks volumes to their issues selling tickets.

• Haha (+1) 1

Would not be surprised if they move to 4  London games (2 consecutive games in a row twice a season) in the next few years and they effectively share the team for a bit to acclimate the fans/players to a London team. It's hilarious that this is being done with London & Jacksonville. Hard to think of two less similar big cities.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Shahid Khan is all about that $$$ (as are many other owners I'm sure) and he feels like this move overall puts more $$$ in his pocket. Can't blame him in the short term, but this isn't sustainable for success in the league or with his franchise imo. 

To me it is the possible death knell to the Jags in Jax. As is I could see a lot of Jags fans saying why bother when you take 1/4 of our home games away from us and if fan support dries up (which might be the goal) it is easier to justify moving to London for good.

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

To me it is the possible death knell to the Jags in Jax. As is I could see a lot of Jags fans saying why bother when you take 1/4 of our home games away from us and if fan support dries up (which might be the goal) it is easier to justify moving to London for good.

I understand that aspect of it, but I can't see it being sustainable for the NFL as a whole. The players would have to pay taxes in the US and taxes overseas, because you know most of them aren't going to actually live there. It would be harder on players with families. It would mean that 8 teams would have to make the trip across the Atlantic on a yearly basis. It would also mean that the Jags would be flying back and forth from London to the US 8 times a year. It would be a crappy situation for everyone involved for the most part, but mainly the Jags players themselves. This is a hole of his own making though, Khan, so whatever happens rests squarely on his shoulders. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

I understand that aspect of it, but I can't see it being sustainable for the NFL as a whole. The players would have to pay taxes in the US and taxes overseas, because you know most of them aren't going to actually live there. It would be harder on players with families. It would mean that 8 teams would have to make the trip across the Atlantic on a yearly basis. It would also mean that the Jags would be flying back and forth from London to the US 8 times a year. It would be a crappy situation for everyone involved for the most part, but mainly the Jags themselves. This is a hole of his own making though, Khan, so whatever happens rests squarely on his shoulders. 

From what I have read from guys like Peter King from NBC the NFL has a huge appetite to see this happen given the market penetration. I do not disagree at all that the logistics are a nightmare, as a player I would refuse to play in London given the tax disadvantage alone, and the laundry list of other reasons are quite long including game times. BUT this is the NFL and they are trying to force a 17 game schedule despite the players universally not wanting it and injury issues like CTE saying that 16 games is a problem as is that needs to be address. I just think it setups a really easy situation for the league and Jags to say "hey the fans stopped coming the way we want whereas London really is buying into this" and then making the move.

My greater fear is that regardless of a 17 game schedule which it sounds like the extra game is a neutral site international game, they force every franchise to align with a foreign city and mimic what the jags have been doing. If the money is great enough I could absolutely see that happening.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Honest question, why was this franchise considered a good idea in the first place? I don’t really remember much from that time. There had to be a better option elsewhere, no?

St. Louis and Baltimore were actually considered ahead of them in 1993 and Jax was the least likely. BUT my guess would be behind the scenes it became known both of those markets were going to try and get teams to move or favorites so the NFL frontlined Jax to get them to the front of the line.

• Thank you (+1) 1