McShay - Bills pass on WR and take RB Swift in 1st.

PIZ

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t understand the outrage.  A dynamic stud RB would greatly help the offense.  Singletary is a nice back but doesn’t exactly scare defenses.  

I think its a question of value.  

Just now, hjnick said:

I know this is an early mock draft and were a LONG way from the draft, but...

IF the Bills did this I would totally lose it.  Like someone else also said, we did this with Spiller years ago...

I remember the Spiller pick.  I was out playing softball and I was listening via radio and to myself I was thinking 'alright we will get a good lineman'  they said Spiller... WTF!  That one was hard to swallow.  Plus the Manuel pick was another winner pick.  Could have gotten the guy a full round later...

But all of that was with the last regime.  We will do better w/ Beane.

I wanted Dez.  

• Like (+1) 1

I haven’t read through the thread but I’m assuming a lot of “why RB when we have a good one?” We need to stop looking at positions as much as skill sets. It’s just like in the NBA where it went from 1-5 to position-less basketball. Swift is an explosive playmaker with high end receiving skills. The Bills need explosive playmaking. It can be a combination of RB, WR and/or TE. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really am to the point where I trust the front office and their decision-making when it comes to the draft.

With Gore likely retiring/moving on, there is a hole to fill there, so it isn't as if this selection wouldn't fill a need. I agree that WR is a more pressing need -- but the WR position is supposed to be very deep in this year's draft, so they can probably land a good one in the 2nd round (and this front office likes trading up in the 2nd round). I suppose if the opportunity presents itself to draft the best RB in the draft to go along with a promising 2nd year RB (who frankly may not have the size to be a true workhorse), then I for one will not throw a fit.

Of course, what happens in free agency in a month or so could very well make all of these thoughts moot.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I haven’t read through the thread but I’m assuming a lot of “why RB when we have a good one?” We need to stop looking at positions as much as skill sets. It’s just like in the NBA where it went from 1-5 to position-less basketball. Swift is an explosive playmaker with high end receiving skills. The Bills need explosive playmaking. It can be a combination of RB, WR and/or TE. 

I don't mind that line of thought - but i personally don't see a "positionless player".  I see a good running back.  Faster than he looks, plays with a nice edge and has really good burst. 

He never jumped out at me as something amazing when i watched them.  

Just now, 2003Contenders said:

I really am to the point where I trust the front office and their decision-making when it comes to the draft.

With Gore likely retiring/moving on, there is a hole to fill there, so it isn't as if this selection wouldn't fill a need. I agree that WR is a more pressing need -- but the WR position is supposed to be very deep in this year's draft, so they can probably land a good one in the 2nd round (and this front office likes trading up in the 2nd round). I suppose if the opportunity presents itself to draft the best RB in the draft to go along with a promising 2nd year RB (who frankly may not have the size to be a true workhorse), then I for one will not throw a fit.

Of course, what happens in free agency in a month or so could very well make all of these thoughts moot.

I think they will sign someone.  Hyde, Drake, Breida - even howard 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This isn't gonna happen, in this universe or a parallel one. I can see us taking a RB to compliment Singletary in rounds 3-6 somewhere, if we don't address the position in FA, but taking a RB in the 1st will NEVER happen under this regime unless we are gifted a Barry Sanders clone.  

What about a Thurman Thomas clone?

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Now that just sounds like a Billsy thing to do.... I sure hope that something smart happens instead, but that’s just me...

Go Bills!!!

It was a Billsy thing to do when we had Buddy or Whaley as GM. This ain't happening now. 

13 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I don't mind that line of thought - but i personally don't see a "positionless player".  I see a good running back.  Faster than he looks, plays with a nice edge and has really good burst. 

He never jumped out at me as something amazing when i watched them.  

He’s an elite level receiver. The day he enters the league he’s a top 5-10 receiving back (and that’s conservative). He can be a 15 touch a game guy with Singletary in the more traditional role. Think about the success that the Saints has with Ingram and Kamara. That’s the kind of dynamic that the Bills can create (especially with Josh’s mobility). They still need other pass catching options but Swift makes this offense a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

you want an offense like san fran's where we just run it down people's throats all year?  get another big time rb.  btw they catch passes too. you can get a wr in the second round as well. 

And what round were they taken in?

• Like (+1) 1

RB class also looks deep this year.  I'll take LSU's RB in Rd. 3.  (Edge/WR likely 1st and 2nd).  

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s an elite level receiver. The day he enters the league he’s a top 5-10 receiving back (and that’s conservative). He can be a 15 touch a game guy with Singletary in the more traditional role. Think about the success that the Saints has with Ingram and Kamara. That’s the kind of dynamic that the Bills can create (especially with Josh’s mobility). They still need other pass catching options but Swift makes this offense a lot better.

well, this can change my mind.  If he is an elite level receiver, he can also be lined up at WR with Singletary in the backfield, WR in 2nd, then you have a problem covering them all, not to mention Knox and Hunter/Hooper/Olsen.