McShay - Bills pass on WR and take RB Swift in 1st.

PIZ

18 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

We took Singletary RD3 when we were desperate for a RB. No way we take one RD1 when we have an established one. I think RD3 is probably the earliest we take one but RDS 4-5 is most likely where we’d take one.

I agree...the counter is if they can find one that they believe is likely to contribute year 1 at a high level, that is highly valuable. 

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

If they can get a WR in FA and maybe one in Round 2, I would be OK with this. The Bills need an explosive RB.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/espn-todd-mcshay-buffalo-bills-dandre-swift/?fbclid=IwAR0AhXP1cCG0x6JE5RHQCfVK1SSwaQeY-G7ey3_dXlXbiAOx2ZTzlXCny7o

And then we trade Singletary to Seattle?

Edited by klos63
  • Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PIZ said:

If they can get a WR in FA and maybe one in Round 2, I would be OK with this. The Bills need an explosive RB.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/espn-todd-mcshay-buffalo-bills-dandre-swift/?fbclid=IwAR0AhXP1cCG0x6JE5RHQCfVK1SSwaQeY-G7ey3_dXlXbiAOx2ZTzlXCny7o

someone please let McShay know Chan Gailey was fired years ago. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hard to see the Bills going RB in round 1.  I think they're more inclined to take BPA with a view towards need and the relative improvement the pick would provide at that specific position.   Depending who's available DE, OLB, WR. OL.  Don't see RB as an urgent need.    

Id take a CB, DE, or OLB before i would take a RB if im not going WR in the first.  On offense i would look at Oline before id consider a RB.  

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Too early, but this team needs a RB1a badly

Yeah - way too early to be judging needs.  They could sign kenyan drake or something and this entire narrative changes in 2 seconds.  

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Id take a CB, DE, or OLB before i would take a RB if im not going WR in the first.  On offense i would look at Oline before id consider a RB.  

Yeah - way too early to be judging needs.  They could sign kenyan drake or something and this entire narrative changes in 2 seconds.  

I assume you mean judging draft needs...and my opinion is that you should not be drafting for need in round 1 anyway. Draft to stock the roster with superstar talent at critical positions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I assume you mean judging draft needs...and my opinion is that you should not be drafting for need in round 1 anyway. Draft to stock the roster with superstar talent at critical positions.

I just see no value in RB in the first.  You're essentially wasting a cheap contract at the cheapest position.  Last year pick 22 was 4 years 12.4 million.  To get a starter at a more premium position like WR or OLB/CB for that price is too great not to.  You can probably get hyde for the same 3 million.  Buffalo already has a playmaker at the position.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

While not just in Round 1, but *this* is how the Bills found themselves in horrible situations year after year. They'd focus on how to upgrade their team via Draft crossing their fingers the ideal player fell to them. But Beane has demonstrated and reinforced it in an interview, that he fills the needs via Free Agency and then uses the Draft to go BPA (for the most part...I don't think anyone does it as strictly as some project). IMHO, that's one reason why this team has gotten better with the roster overhaul as quickly as it has. He knew OL was a big problem, so he went and spent money on 4 new OL starters and some depth. Then he Drafted one for posterity and to get him to grow so they can focus on other areas in future years. I'd say WR / RB / DE / LB and CB all look about the same in terms of how he approaches it, again IMHO. 

I'm not saying I'm for or against a RB in the first round because for me, and I said this last year, Beane et. al. have shown very good decision making when it comes to FA and Draft...overall. Kelvin Lazy-A** Benjamin notwithstanding (which was a trade, I know). I trust Beane and what a secure and warm feeling to truly believe in the competency of the Front Office and Scouts and to see most if not everyone in their positions remaining with the team. Consistency and demonstrated excellence - what a breath of fresh air.

• Like (+1) 1

I know this is an early mock draft and were a LONG way from the draft, but...

IF the Bills did this I would totally lose it.  Like someone else also said, we did this with Spiller years ago...

I remember the Spiller pick.  I was out playing softball and I was listening via radio and to myself I was thinking 'alright we will get a good lineman'  they said Spiller... WTF!  That one was hard to swallow.  Plus the Manuel pick was another winner pick.  Could have gotten the guy a full round later...

But all of that was with the last regime.  We will do better w/ Beane.