Josh Allen’s drop vs Mahomes

Just now, billvernsays said:

Josh Allen likes to set pretty shallow in the pocket where Mahomes likes to sit extremely deep. Given Josh Allen’s athletic ability and his arm strength it would make sense for him to take a deeper drop to allow his feet to help him if he needs it. 

Aren't drops predefined by the play call? 3 step vs 5 step, etc.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Dawkins and Ford can't hold their blocks up in a 7 step drop.   As MJS said, the play defines the drop.  The NFL has evolved to reads that are  mainly pre-snap, and often limited to a single portion of the field.   So many throws that are predetermined based on play design.  Add shotgun and pistol formations and the length of the drop is less and less important that making the correct read pre-snap

Best thing Daboll can do is more play action, fix the screen game, allow Knox to develop and get better at RT (either Ford plays better which I think is what will happen or upgrade and move Ford to LG)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Dawkins and Ford can't hold their blocks up in a 7 step drop.   As MJS said, the play defines the drop.  The NFL has evolved to reads that are  mainly pre-snap, and often limited to a single portion of the field.   So many throws that are predetermined based on play design.  Add shotgun and pistol formations and the length of the drop is less and less important that making the correct read pre-snap

Best thing Daboll can do is more play action, fix the screen game, allow Knox to develop and get better at RT (either Ford plays better which I think is what will happen or upgrade and move Ford to LG)

Bold part needs to be fixed.

I've thought the same thing when watching Patrick Mahomes, and wondered if it could work for our offense.

His distance from the line of scrimmage often gives him 10-15 yards of space before the pass rush can get close to him, and gives the receivers more time to get deep.

Josh Allen is one of the few players (besides Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc.) with enough arm strength to make this work.  

To the person that said our O-Line can't hold on a 7-step drop.... watch how Kansas City executes these plays.  Mahomes doesn't do this from under center.  He takes very deep shotgun snaps, then continues moving backwards or laterally as the play happens, instead of stepping up into the pocket.  The O-Line isn't forced to hold blocks longer than on normal pass plays.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This ^^^

If we had tackles that weren't as susceptible to speed rushers then Allen would be able to take a deeper drop. As it stands right now Daboll seemingly calls pass plays that take into account the offense's deficiencies as a whole. 

Edited by H2o

8 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Josh Allen likes to set pretty shallow in the pocket where Mahomes likes to sit extremely deep. Given Josh Allen’s athletic ability and his arm strength it would make sense for him to take a deeper drop to allow his feet to help him if he needs it. 

The QB's drop isn't just a matter of where he "likes to set", it's a matter of play design and route timing.

Also it doesn't necessarily help the protections if the QB drops deeper.

13 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Mahomes doesn't prefer to drop that far back.  he can....but he's at his best....like most QB, when he has a pocket or can step up in the pocket instead of backward.  You see Mahomes fade back often, because KC has pure garbage for G-C-G. 

Sounds like baloney to me - a QB doesn't have as much time as Mahomes normally does in the pocket (or a pocket at all) if the center of his line is "pure garbage".

KC let Morse walk in FA 'cuz they thought Reiter could do the job at least as well - you sayin' their player personnel e v a l is garbage or something?

I see Mahomes with a nice pocket and plenty of time most games.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Aren't drops predefined by the play call? 3 step vs 5 step, etc.?

Yes

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The QB's drop isn't just a matter of where he "likes to set", it's a matter of play design and route timing.

Also it doesn't necessarily help the protections if the QB drops deeper.

Sounds like baloney to me - a QB doesn't have as much time as Mahomes normally does in the pocket (or a pocket at all) if the center of his line is "pure garbage".

KC let Morse walk in FA 'cuz they thought Reiter could do the job at least as well - you sayin' their player personnel e v a l is garbage or something?

I see Mahomes with a nice pocket and plenty of time most games.

Yes

Without posting "all 22" footage of multiple plays, I'll have a hard time proving it....and that did get better once Stefan Wisneiski took over at LG this year.. You can live with him if your Guards are good.  Most of the year both G were bad and even after LG was shored up, RG the DR. wasn't good. 

Mahomes legs are good enough to negate a lot of that...but it's been an issue all year......

I tried to attach some videos demonstrating my point, but they are too large.....so here is a link to an article on "the athletic" that explains it well.  Not sure your a subscriber, ufortnuately is a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1432331/2019/12/04/chiefs-film-review-whats-wrong-with-o-line-plus-mahomes-happy-feet-solid-secondary-more/?redirected=1

17 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Without posting "all 22" footage of multiple plays, I'll have a hard time proving it....and that did get better once Stefan Wisneiski took over at LG this year.. You can live with him if your Guards are good.  Most of the year both G were bad and even after LG was shored up, RG the DR. wasn't good. 

Mahomes legs are good enough to negate a lot of that...but it's been an issue all year......

I tried to attach some videos demonstrating my point, but they are too large.....so here is a link to an article on "the athletic" that explains it well.  Not sure your a subscriber, ufortnuately is a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1432331/2019/12/04/chiefs-film-review-whats-wrong-with-o-line-plus-mahomes-happy-feet-solid-secondary-more/?redirected=1

Sorry, but when your team has just won the Superbowl against one of the best DLs in football and you come on another team's board to whinge about how "total garbage" the center of your team's OL is, that's just pathetic.

The 49ers gave up the fewest passing yards in the league this year for a reason, and it wasn't because their secondary is truly elite or they blitz a lot - only 20.9%, yet they're 5th in the league in sacks and 2nd in pressures.  Hmmmmm.

The Chiefs gave Mahomes the 3rd longest pocket time (time between snap and pocket collapse) in the league.  That's a "legs" independent metric.  It says the center of their line is actually quite good.  You don't do that with "total garbage"

Mahomes was struggling to complete accurate throws early in the SB game because the 49ers DL is legit elite, not because the center of KC OL is "total garbage".  He did better in the 2nd half because they made adjustments, including some of those deeper drops implemented because they realized that Hill would completely undress the SF DBs given a bit more time.  And he did.

Kudos to him, kudos to the coaches, kudos to the team.  Now take that "total garbage" thing to a Chiefs board where it's prolly equally unwelcome right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yep, exactly how Brady has been around for so long, gets the bal lout quickly and knows where the ball is going proabaly 75% of the time before he gets the snap.

Giving Allena a lot of 5 or 7 step drops with our tackles and his inexperince would be terrible right now for his development.

I am not so sure on Knox, i am not certain his drops can be "fixed".

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ford at guard is a good idea, but where as Spain and Feliciano are solid.  If healthy, I like Nseke at RT.  The problem is he doesn’t stay healthy.  If we take a tackle maybe not high in the draft, that would make sense.

Spain is a FA and while he has said he'd like to be back and would like to get 'er done before FA, he also wants a payday and I'm not sure his run blocking is elite.

We definitely seemed to have a problem with run blocking and I'm not sure where it stood.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry, but when your team has just won the Superbowl against one of the best DLs in football and you come on another team's board to whinge about how "total garbage" the center of your team's OL is, that's just pathetic.

The 49ers gave up the fewest passing yards in the league this year for a reason, and it wasn't because their secondary is truly elite or they blitz a lot - only 20.9%, yet they're 5th in the league in sacks and 2nd in pressures.  Hmmmmm.

The Chiefs gave Mahomes the 3rd longest pocket time (time between snap and pocket collapse) in the league.  That's a "legs" independent metric.  It says the center of their line is actually quite good.  You don't do that with "total garbage"

Mahomes was struggling to complete accurate throws early in the SB game because the 49ers DL is legit elite, not because the center of KC OL is "total garbage".  He did better in the 2nd half because they made adjustments, including some of those deeper drops implemented because they realized that Hill would completely undress the SF DBs given a bit more time.  And he did.

Kudos to him, kudos to the coaches, kudos to the team.  Now take that "total garbage" thing to a Chiefs board where it's prolly equally unwelcome right now.

Clearly they won the SB....so whatever they had across the board was good enough.  I'm not complaining, but that doesn't mean there aren't flaws on the team.  There are.  It doesn't change that KC had bad/below average interior o line (the tackles are good)  It was a weakness on the team.  I'll stand by it.....they overcame it. 

The metric you post, in bold is interesting.  I'd like to know the criteria....as KC does have good tackles, so I can see a scenario where in cases that the interior line did hold up, the tackles almost certainly did as well and the aggregate would show a high rating like this.  I wish I could get video to post....there is ALOT of it showing the G-C-G just completely being outmatched throughout the year.  Again, they got around it and won the SB. 

Part of why they didn't sign Morse to a long term deal wasn't his ability....he was a far superior player at C....but his injury history made them leary to commit long term on guy who might have been another concussion or 2 away from being done.  Morse is a great player and truly was a big reason why Mahomes was able to go 50/5000 in 2018 but not so much in 2019.  I suppose we'll just have to disagree here.  Also, the take isn't THAT unpopular in KC....it's been an issue all year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I've thought the same thing when watching Patrick Mahomes, and wondered if it could work for our offense.

His distance from the line of scrimmage often gives him 10-15 yards of space before the pass rush can get close to him, and gives the receivers more time to get deep.

Josh Allen is one of the few players (besides Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc.) with enough arm strength to make this work.  

To the person that said our O-Line can't hold on a 7-step drop.... watch how Kansas City executes these plays.  Mahomes doesn't do this from under center.  He takes very deep shotgun snaps, then continues moving backwards or laterally as the play happens, instead of stepping up into the pocket.  The O-Line isn't forced to hold blocks longer than on normal pass plays.  

It helps when they don't call holding on you... KC was holding all game and still getting beat.  GB holds almost all the time.  

Any QB not just Allen can make throws out of a 7 step drop. Yes, Allen has a stronger arm that a lot of guys. But people on this board think its some miraculous thing that no one else can do. All NFL QB's can make the throws.

The drop is all about the timing of the play and if your OL can protect the QB that long as well as your QB being comfortable in the pocket and making reads. That is not the Bills or Josh Allen at this time.