What would a T. White Extension look like?

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The advantage of that for the team is that they can get a cheaper contract per year than they would have if they wait a year. Which would from the team's perspective move a lot of the burden to a year - this year - when they can afford it. Lower the burden in years when other contracts will need to be paid for in future years. It's a good move for the team's cap future. It's true this isn't a common move. But it could really make sense, again, depending on their views of how valuable he is to their future. Maybe they intend to treat him the way the Panthers did Josh Norman. If they think that McDermott can do incredible things with CBs who aren't by themselves that terrific, maybe they don't do anything like this. But if they are sure they want him and want to free up cap space down the road, it could make sense.

Let's say that next year he signs a $16 mill a year over 5 years contract. Now over the next 6 years the guy is making $1.8 mill in 2020 plus $70 mill, totalling $71.8 mill.

So you sign an extension with him this year, extending him for $70 mill over 6 years.

Same amount, you say? Yeah, but this year they have a ton of cap space. They're not all that likely to see this much cap space for a while. They're doing the opposite of kicking the can down the road, they're hauling cans forward so as you go down the road there are fewer cans and a smoother future. They might even get White to take a few mill less for the chance to get his money early and insure himself against injuries.

As for players liking the last years of a contract to be heavily loaded so they don't get cut ... hunh? The only thing they like better is getting the money front-loaded so they can invest earlier. And having the last few years of the contract pay less means they're more likely to stick around as the team will be getting a great deal on those last few years. Or even better the team extends them a second time or cuts them for a team that will pay more than the last few years of the old contract would have. The players love this. I mean, if Tre were older it might not make sense but the end of that theoretical second contract would come when he's 31 and can probably get a really nice third contract somewhere, maybe even here.

Beyond the salary cap inflation (which frankly means whatever year you sign the deal it looks cheap within 3 years) I'm not sure why White would be any cheaper this year than next. Fans always presume that the earlier you sign a guy the cheaper you get them but that assumption is rather based on guys being more established after 4 years. White is widely regarded as a top 3 corner in this league. Whether you pay him this year or next he is re-setting the market and beyond normal salary cap inflation I see no reason why he would be cheaper this offseason.

I agree that your proposed strategy is the opposite of kicking the can, but I don't really see the benefit of it. The Bills have a QB on a rookie deal. This is the time you load up around him. This is not the time to needlessly give up cost control to try and save money down the road. I wouldn't characterise my approach as kicking the can either (not suggesting that is what you were saying I don't think you were) I think my proposed approach is the most sensible way to manage the cap.

And I think you are wrong on second contract players. Yes - they want the money up front that is the most important thing. Big signing bonus, pay me now. But the cheaper they are at the end of that second contract in terms of dead money there is on their deal the more likely they are to get cut and never seen the unguaranteed salary (which is often the real prize in those 4th and 5th years).

First you guys call him the best DB in the league, then want him to sign something ridiculous like a 7 year deal averaging $14 million per.

Tre is going to break the bank!  It'll be a 4 year deal, at most, averaging somehwere between 16-20 million per season!  If the Bills don't extend Tre's deal some time next season and choose to exercise the 5th year option, Tre WILL hold out and rightfully so.

We'll see how much you all love him then.

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

First you guys call him the best DB in the league, then want him to sign something ridiculous like a 7 year deal averaging $14 million per.

Tre is going to break the bank!  It'll be a 4 year deal, at most, averaging somehwere between 16-20 million per season!  If the Bills don't extend Tre's deal some time next season and choose to exercise the 5th year option, Tre WILL hold out and rightfully so.

There is no question of the Bills asking him to play on the option. None whatsoever. They will either sign him this offseason before camp (might depend as I have been saying on the new CBA being agreed) or they will sign him in the offseason next year before the 5th year option actually kicks in.

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Every year you wait, the average for a position can increase . There is a benefit for signing one of your own players sooner rather than later.

there's also the benefit for the player of waiting a year since new CBA and TV contracts coming.

it looks like this: 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We'll keep him.  And as others have noted, sooner rather than later is likely better.  Keeps him locked up, lower price, and sends a good signal to players that we keep those who perform over several seasons.  

I’ve got it projected at 5 years, $82M.

$56M fully guaranteed

$25M signing bonus

Fully gtd base of $10M in 2020 and a gtd roster bonus of $2M

Fully gtd base of $10M in 2021 and a gtd roster bonus of $1M

Fully gtd base of $8M in 2022

Cap hits are 17,16,13,17,19 for 2020-2024

Dead $$ hits are 56, 39, 23, 10, 5 for 2020-2024

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's going to set the market. He'll get 4-5 years and his guarantees will be slightly higher than whoever signed before him. Bills would be smart to get it done as soon as possible once the new NFL year begins.

Agreed. The Bills need to sign him before Jalen gets extended.

14 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

1134953501_Treextension.JPG.07c200e85350429e8813008098c36353.JPG

Exactly what I came in to post. Well done.

11 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Every year you wait, the average for a position can increase . There is a benefit for signing one of your own players sooner rather than later.

It's not just up to the team. Why wouldn't the player wait? Salaries only go up. Waiting another year or even two could mean an additional $15M on his contract.

How much did Gilmore strap the Pats for it should be some where around the same for Tre .

Seeing as the experts have him so much lower than Gilmore though in the ranking of players they may be able to get him at a lot lower price ?.

Talent isn’t the issue here IMO. He’s not Revis or D. Sanders but really close! How many more picks and passes defended would he have if there was a good corner opposite him? Is he the leader and character guy you want? Beane also has stated that teammates watch to see who gets what money and he has seen it divide a locker room! If his teammates don’t respect him as a elite talent that complicates things. I think White is worth top money just judging from what we have seen. Love watching him play!!

18 hours ago, papazoid said:

6 yr / $100 mil ($16.7/yr)

he will be highest paid corner when he signs

most top corners currently get 5yr/$75 ($15/yr)

Most? There are 2 guys in NFL history that have gotten $15M AAV.

$15.5M per would be a record; $16M would be a MONSTER.

1 hour ago, Bring it said:

Talent isn’t the issue here IMO. He’s not Revis or D. Sanders but really close! How many more picks and passes defended would he have if there was a good corner opposite him? Is he the leader and character guy you want? Beane also has stated that teammates watch to see who gets what money and he has seen it divide a locker room! If his teammates don’t respect him as a elite talent that complicates things. I think White is worth top money just judging from what we have seen. Love watching him play!!

I disagree, I think White is closer to Josh Norman than Revis or Deion. There are reports that Washington would love to wash their hands of the Josh Norman deal. I would rather trade White for 2 1st rd picks than give him over 80 mil for 5 years.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, Chicken Boo said:

You will see how much everyone loves him when he is on his new 90mil   5 year deal and has a down year with only 2 int’s.  I would honestly rather put my money on defense into DE and cover LB’s that can pass rush. I would sign average players on defense and let McD coach them up. I would put my 70 and 80 mil contracts into WR, O-Line and TE

• Like (+1) 1