Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He would, but they can spend a lot on, say, Hooper instead and pair him with Knox. It’s early. But If Olsen is healthy and has the energy to keep playing, I’m all for it. 

I just don’t see Atlanta letting hooper go.  Not sure I really want to spend THAT kind of money on him.  I like him, I just think if he leaves it’s gonna be a break the bank type contract....and I don’t wanna pay him that money 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just don’t see Atlanta letting hooper go.  Not sure I really want to spend THAT kind of money on him.  I like him, I just think if he leaves it’s gonna be a break the bank type contract....and I don’t wanna pay him that money 

Atlanta has the worst cap situation in the NFL. I have no idea how they could sign Hooper.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

I am fine with the TE room as it stands........... minus Lee Smith.

Lee Smith is useless.

Tyler Kroft came off as useless in 2019, but if the Bills fail to sign Olsen I really think they will role with the same 4 TE's 2020 that they had 2019.

McBeane might give Kroft 2020 to see if he is actually useful if the Olsen signing fails.

you may be right.  but i hope not.  i wish there was a barf emoji on here.  lucky my phone has it covered: ?

Edited by RyanC883

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Atlanta has the worst cap situation in the NFL. I have no idea how they could sign Hooper.

That was my original thought, upon further review they can make quite a few releases/restructures to free a lot of money up though. I think Alex Mack was like 7-8 million to cut, that’s hoopers contract right there. Schaub saves them like 2-4 million to cut. Few decent deals they can save money with 

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

That was my original thought, upon further review they can make quite a few releases/restructures to free a lot of money up though. I think Alex Mack was like 7-8 million to cut, that’s hoopers contract right there. Schaub saves them like 2-4 million to cut. Few decent deals they can save money with 

Mack would save 8, but that won’t cover Hooper’s AAV IMO. I also can’t see a team with a history of OL issues cutting their best OLman in a must-win season for Quinn and Dimitroff.

Schaub saves $2M, but then who’s the backup.

They could let Keanu Neal or Damontee Kazee go, but again they have major issues in the defensive backfield.

Just a bad situation there all around.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Mack would save 8, but that won’t cover Hooper’s AAV IMO. I also can’t see a team with a history of OL issues cutting their best OLman in a must-win season for Quinn and Dimitroff.

Schaub saves $2M, but then who’s the backup.

They could let Keanu Neal or Damontee Kazee go, but again they have major issues in the defensive backfield.

Just a bad situation there all around.

Oh I fully agree they’re in a terrible spot cap wise. I can’t see them cutting the young guys. 
I could see Mack cut or restructured. Definitely could see Schaub gone, maybe Cardale can get the backup job? 

I don’t follow them closely enough to know Hoopers value to them but they could find the money to keep him around if he’s important to them. 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:34 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm sure that is part of it; Josh is still developing.

Yes, the Patriots use multiple TE sets often; only they take advantage of it.  Daboll has not shown that propensity to this point.

Once again might that have to do with what you have acknowledged yourself.  We run the same offense as NE.  We will have our own wrinkles but it is basically the same.

12 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Wow! Looks like it’s happening 

What’s new that has you thinking this? I don’t see the overall merit in signing him. Of course he’s been steady good throughout his career and has the McBeane connection, but our TE is pretty full and expectations are high for last years’ 2 Draft picks. Is he truly an upgrade to Lee Smiith’s role here?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What’s new that has you thinking this? I don’t see the overall merit in signing him. Of course he’s been steady good throughout his career and has the McBeane connection, but our TE is pretty full and expectations are high for last years’ 2 Draft picks. Is he truly an upgrade to Lee Smiith’s role here?

Even last year, his production total was more than our lot combined. I think that represents something of a likely upgrade.

I'm not sure why people are getting so bent out of shape about this generally,with lots of 'too old' too slow' types of takes. The bottom line with Beane and McDermott, is seeing how they can improve the roster, anywhere. Signing Olsen is exactly that, imho (should it happen), and should be a 'no brainer' attempt, irrespective of the Carolina connection.

Don't get me wrong, I like both Knox and Sweeney as potential long term players for the team, but there are still clearly issues and experience needed.

Knox needs to catch a lot better, and also has to improve his understanding of the nuances of the position. He certainly has the potential to be an all round TE for years to come, and a good one, but whereas Smith might be useful helping him with his blocking, we still need someone who can show him how to get open regularly. Olsen might well have lost a step, but tbh, when you watch him it doesn't matter so much, because he finds the soft spots in coverages on a regular basis. Hence the roduction that exceeds what all of the Bills TEs managed last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

He would be more than a mentor...he would instantly be our #1 TE...

Yeah, but how would this be a good thing? Knox, whether de facto or not, earned the starting position and played well, overall. Sure, he missed some assignments and had a few costly drops, but what receiver didn’t. Equally, he produced jaw-dropping plays the likes of which we’ve rarely seen from the position. Having he and Sweeney riding the pine isn’t a good idea, imo.

• Like (+1) 1