Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

19 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Pretty sure I've seen enough of Brandon B. to believe that he has set the price that he believes he is worth and won't budge from it.  Feels good for a change.

exactly. after watching beane work for the last 3 years does anyone actually think he's in a bidding war here? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Any news?

How do I set that up?

DL the NFL app.  Go into settings and scroll to NFL App.  Notifications.  Turn 'em on.  

Then in the app you can make Buffalo your preferred team, so you only get Bills news.?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get the sentiment, but a bidding war doesn’t necessarily mean expensive. 

Are the three teams going to bid on who will pay him less, and expect Olsen to take it?

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t like him but his praises are sung by many as a vet mentor 

Many?  Maybe 'three' many...Beane, McDermott, and Daboll.

I'm not sure why we need this many TE's.  Shouldn't three be enough?

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Are the three teams going to bid on who will pay him less, and expect Olsen to take it?

no, it will likely be about guarantees, and bonuses and what not. His price will likely be pretty consistent among the three without a huge variance unless one of the teams goes crazy. The Redskins have been known to do that, so it’s possible.

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Many?  Maybe 'three' many...Beane, McDermott, and Daboll.

I'm not sure why we need this many TE's.  Shouldn't three be enough?

What exactly is the downside in looking into Olsen at a reasonable price. 

I find it weird somebody would be that irritated over it. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

What exactly is the downside in looking into Olsen at a reasonable price. 

I find it weird somebody would be that irritated over it. 

I'm not irritated (your word, not mine) in bringing in Olsen, I don't see why he's needed.  What would Greg Olsen bring to the table at this point?  Additionally, Daboll hasn't shown that he really needs more than three TE's.

21 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not irritated (your word, not mine) in bringing in Olsen, I don't see why he's needed.  What would Greg Olsen bring to the table at this point?  Additionally, Daboll hasn't shown that he really needs more than three TE's.

I think that he’s a rich man’s version of Kroft & Smith at this point. For the price of those 2 you can get a guy who had 52 catches and 600 yards in 14 games. He is a great veteran presence as well. He’s not the missing piece to a championship but he absolutely upgrades the TE room. Olsen, Knox and Sweeney is a good start. 

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that he’s a rich man’s version of Kroft & Smith at this point. For the price of those 2 you can get a guy who had 52 catches and 600 yards in 14 games. He is a great veteran presence as well. He’s not the missing piece to a championship but he absolutely upgrades the TE room. Olsen, Knox and Sweeney is a good start. 

Interesting thought on where Olsen could fit in.  If they bring in Olsen, would Beane and McD think about cutting Lee Smith?  Knox and Sweeney should be kept going forward, though I don't see a need to have four or five TEs - especially ones who don't play often or are penalties and/or missed blocking assignments waiting to happen.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Interesting thought on where Olsen could fit in.  If they bring in Olsen, would Beane and McD think about cutting Lee Smith?  Knox and Sweeney should be kept going forward, though I don't see a need to have four or five TEs - especially ones who don't play often or are penalties and/or missed blocking assignments waiting to happen.

I’d be fine with those 3 as the TE room. I suspect that they go 4 deep. The cap savings alone from Kroft and Smith could pay for Olsen. I view it as “would you trade Lee Smith & Tyler Kroft straight up for Greg Olsen?” To me, that’s an easy decision. You can use one of those 5ths or 6ths to add another guy to compete. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

So, the way I see it, at this point we 100% lack a single, proven, all-purpose starting TE and that's a big lack for a QB like Allen.

We have Smith, who can block - and who may have gotten "locked in" and reined in his penalties after the Cleveland game, but who basically is a joke in the passing game despite Daboll trying to be cute and line him up out wide. 

We have Knox, who looked promising as hell and may become That Guy...but he has to prove it by hanging on to more passes and taking a big step in the blocking game.  Maybe he takes that step this year, but if he doesn't, what then?

We have Kroft, who was signed to be That Guy, but who failed to step up and show he could do it when given the chance.  Maybe he was still hampered by injuries.  Maybe he comes back with a Roar and lives up to his contract, but if he doesn't, what then?

And we have Sweeney and Croom, both of whom have shown about the same production in limited glimpses (63% catch, 17-19 ypg).  Croom played ST, Sweeney has not as yet.

Olsen is a guy who has demonstrated he can be That Guy over the course of a long career.  He spent 2 years hampered by foot injuries, but was durable and played well last year.

I would prefer we go after a younger pending FA, but I think Beane is actually very high on his young guys and sees Olsen as a "bridge" TE whose contract falls off the cap just when he needs money for Tre Edmunds and hopefully Allen in 2 years.  And of course there's the question of whether the FA guys get signed or franchised and we could lure a big name FA to sign here.

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d be fine with those 3 as the TE room. I suspect that they go 4 deep. The cap savings alone from Kroft and Smith could pay for Olsen. I view it as “would you trade Lee Smith & Tyler Kroft straight up for Greg Olsen?” To me, that’s an easy decision. You can use one of those 5ths or 6ths to add another guy to compete. 

Ah....they do still have Croom....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think of Olsen kinda like Frank Gore. A veteran presence in the TE room who can show the young guys how a vet does things. The plus side of Olsen is he’ll be better on the field than Gore was.

I’d love to see the Bills run more 12 personnel and keep defenses guessing. That can only be done effectively if you have two legit all around TEs. Olsen and Knox are good enough to do that.

Edited by MDH

You think maybe our QB is still growing and not a finished product.  Have the Patriots ever used multiple TEs.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, the way I see it, at this point we 100% lack a single, proven, all-purpose starting TE and that's a big lack for a QB like Allen.

We have Smith, who can block - and who may have gotten "locked in" and reined in his penalties after the Cleveland game, but who basically is a joke in the passing game despite Daboll trying to be cute and line him up out wide. 

We have Knox, who looked promising as hell and may become That Guy...but he has to prove it by hanging on to more passes and taking a big step in the blocking game.  Maybe he takes that step this year, but if he doesn't, what then?

We have Kroft, who was signed to be That Guy, but who failed to step up and show he could do it when given the chance.  Maybe he was still hampered by injuries.  Maybe he comes back with a Roar and lives up to his contract, but if he doesn't, what then?

And we have Sweeney and Croom, both of whom have shown about the same production in limited glimpses (63% catch, 17-19 ypg).  Croom played ST, Sweeney has not as yet.

Olsen is a guy who has demonstrated he can be That Guy over the course of a long career.  He spent 2 years hampered by foot injuries, but was durable and played well last year.

I would prefer we go after a younger pending FA, but I think Beane is actually very high on his young guys and sees Olsen as a "bridge" TE whose contract falls off the cap just when he needs money for Tre Edmunds and hopefully Allen in 2 years.  And of course there's the question of whether the FA guys get signed or franchised and we could lure a big name FA to sign here.

Ah....they do still have Croom....

I’d love to have a guy you KNOW can do it to go with the guys we HOPE can do it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

He would bring sure hands and steady veteran presence.... a presence from somebody that’s actually produced at an elite level, and not just untimely false starts or holding calls. 

.... also he had solid production last season believe it or not. 50 catches for 600 yds in just 14 games with Bad qb situation. I just don’t see any real downside to it if the price is reasonable. And with beane I’m fairly certain it would have to be for him to even entertain the idea. 

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He would bring sure hands and steady veteran presence.... a presence from somebody that’s actually produced at an elite level, and not just untimely false starts or holding calls. 

.... also he had solid production last season believe it or not. 50 catches for 600 yds in just 14 games with Bad qb situation. I just don’t see any real downside to it if the price is reasonable. And with beane I’m fairly certain it would have to be for him to even entertain the idea. 

I've warmed up to the idea of bringing Olsen here at the right price.  I've gotten past his age.  My only concern at this point is that he's obviously given retirement serious consideration.

I mentioned this in the Shoutbox yesterday (or the day before) and @Hapless Bills Fan reminded me of an old Marv Levy quote:  "If you say you plan to retire in two or three years, you've already retired."

• Like (+1) 2

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Beane try to sign Olsen. He has shown his willingness to sign what would hopefully be a mentor role to our young TE’s. In my opinion Kroft is released if Olsen signs. If not they keep Kroft at least throughout camp. 

10 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

That's reasonable.  I'm ok with bringing in Olsen, just if they do, get rid of (choose one) Croom/Smith/Kroft.  No reason to stash that many TEs on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You think maybe our QB is still growing and not a finished product.  Have the Patriots ever used multiple TEs.

I'm sure that is part of it; Josh is still developing.

Yes, the Patriots use multiple TE sets often; only they take advantage of it.  Daboll has not shown that propensity to this point.