Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

FluffHead

Olsen makes a whole lot of sense.

My hunch is that the Bills believe Sweeney and Knox are promising prospects and that Olsen is an instant upgrade over Kroft.

And equally as important they value veteran leadership.  What better mentor for two young TE’s than a guy like Olsen?   The Bills lost Kyle Williams and now Zo and Most likely Gore.   I’m pretty sure they see that veteran leadership as a huge asset that has residual effects outside of their on-the-field play.

I’m guessing they are really hoping to land Olsen as am I.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Olsen makes a whole lot of sense.

My hunch is that the Bills believe Sweeney and Knox are promising prospects and that Olsen is an instant upgrade over Kroft.

And equally as important they value veteran leadership.  What better mentor for two young TE’s than a guy like Olsen?   The Bills lost Kyle Williams and now Zo and Most likely Gore.   I’m pretty sure they see that veteran leadership as a huge asset that has residual effects outside of their on-the-field play.

I’m guessing they are really hoping to land Olsen as am I.

they still have Lee Smith in the room too. 

it would surprise me if they cut smith and Kroft unless they are targeting a true game changer. 

and I’ve complained about smith for like a decade it seems 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Lee Smiths leadership can’t be questioned....Kroft and Sweeney need to take in and really absorb how to properly execute an NFL false start and hold.

I don’t like him but his praises are sung by many as a vet mentor 

5 hours ago, CommonCents said:

50/50 he even makes it out camp. Find leadership elsewhere, this guy wants to play but his body is toast

. He won’t stick around as a coach because he will make more in a booth. I don’t see the value.

I think we can get 1 solid year from him which is all we really need with Knox sitting in the wing. Olsen is perfect... Next year Knox will be ready for the starting TE position. So we really need a TE we can get one year out of, provide vet leadership, and help Knox and Sweeney grow.... he is a perfect fit. Hits all our boxes we need out of a TE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

I think we can get 1 solid year from him which is all we really need with Knox sitting in the wing. Olsen is perfect... Next year Knox will be ready for the starting TE position. So we really need a TE we can get one year out of, provide vet leadership, and help Knox and Sweeney grow.... he is a perfect fit. Hits all our boxes we need out of a TE

Yeah, I'm not dying for it, but it would make a lot of sense, depending on the price.

7 hours ago, CommonCents said:

50/50 he even makes it out camp. Find leadership elsewhere, this guy wants to play but his body is toast

. He won’t stick around as a coach because he will make more in a booth. I don’t see the value.

You do know he caught more passes for more yards last year than all of the Bills TE summed together?

He was also on the field for >80% of the offensive snaps through week 11. 

Concussion week 12, missed 2 games, fewer snaps when he returned. The concussion wants looking into as with any player, but what's the evidence that his body is toast?

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

So much for a Friday decision 

Oh HE'S probably made a decision.  The three teams he visited just don't know what it is yet while he tries to leverage them off each other to jack up his price.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You do know he caught more passes for more yards last year than all of the Bills TE summed together?

He was also on the field for >80% of the offensive snaps through week 11. 

Concussion week 12, missed 2 games, fewer snaps when he returned. The concussion wants looking into as with any player, but what's the evidence that his body is toast?

Oh HE'S probably made a decision.  The three teams he visited just don't know what it is yet while he tries to leverage them off each other to jack up his price.

Watch him play, he can’t move. He is what 35? This is the same argument McCoy supporters used last year instead of trusting what they saw. 

Like I said, he will have a hard time staying healthy through an entire camp. He is a good guy and I can see the appeal of signing him but not as a TE1. Same thing when they signed Kroft it’s an avoidable mistake. He also had a Jones fracture recently if I remember correctly. 

27 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Watch him play, he can’t move. He is what 35? This is the same argument McCoy supporters used last year instead of trusting what they saw. 

Like I said, he will have a hard time staying healthy through an entire camp. He is a good guy and I can see the appeal of signing him but not as a TE1. Same thing when they signed Kroft it’s an avoidable mistake. He also had a Jones fracture recently if I remember correctly. 

Recently = 2017.  Cost him most of 2017 and 2018.  Seemed pretty durable in 2019. 

I have not watched the Carolina Panthers play, but typically guys who can't move and can't stay healthy don't turn in 8 reception, 98 yd games in week 11 or 600 yd seasons.  His snaps were cut way back after he returned from his concussion, so there's that.  Up to the Bills to evaluate.

Of course, as you allude, older players can fall off a cliff. 

I would for sure prefer they go after a healthy younger FA.  Beane showed a pattern of shopping for aging players on offense instead of young guns his first 2 years.  I had hoped it changed last season.

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There is talk he could be had for a late round pick this offseason.

That would be one of the most Cleveland moves ever.

Accountant-turned-GM trades into the first round to draft an athletic TE

New GM and HC proceed to alienate said TE

Said GM and HC are fired; accountant-turned-GM reassumes power

Accountant-turned-GM hires creative, offensive-minded HC

New HC proceeds to trade young, athletic TE (the one that the organization traded into the first round to draft) away for a day 3 pick

• Thank you (+1) 1